|By Hovhannes Avoyan||
|April 9, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
It is our goal at Monitis to make the lives of web developers and system administrators easy. We have reviewed the 5 leading hosted hadoop-based applications and given a short analysis of them in this post to help guide you in finding a solution that best suits your needs.
The article covers: Amazon Elastic MapReduce; Cloud Era CDH; InfoSphere BigInsights; MapR M3 and M5 and Hortonworks Data Platform.
Amazon Elastic MapReduce (http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/)
Introduced by Amazon in 2009, Elastic MapReduce automates the process of various Hadoop cluster processes and transfers between Amazon’s EC2 and S3 products. For a minimal fee, Amazon will provide its clients with the ability to launch a preconfigured Hadoop cluster to run a client’s MapReduce Program.
- Very easy to setup a job flow
- There’s an enormous amount of documentation available to help new users
- Example applications are provided, giving an option to test drive the application before putting it to use.
- Entire application system can be powered by a command line interface, compared to a web-based management console.
- Ability to conduct several jobs simultaneously and parallel.
- No hardware is needed and costs can be very limited, which is great for small businesses seeking to be more cost efficient.
- Need an account with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Service is only available in the United States
- Requires the use of Amazon’s S3 service, which adds extra costs to an overall project (data transfer, security etc.)
Cloudera CDH (www.cloudera.com)
Founded in March 2009, Cloudera was previously considered to be the Red Hat of the Hadoop World. With a large customer base of over 400 (including paid and free downloads), the company’s offerings include the Cloudera Enterprise products and Training & Support Services. Formed by a number of key executives from various technology giants (Oracle, Yahoo, Google and Facebook), Cloudera is considered the pioneer in the Hadoop community, having a head start in the industry compared to its competitors.
- Free application that can be easily downloaded
- Installed internally within an organization which allows the company to have full control of all processes, jobs etc.
- Technical support is superior and the knowledgebase is an essential resource to anyone starting out with Hadoop
- Used by a large number of companies worldwide, and has been proven as a leading choice in Hadoop applications.
- Application includes additional resources and components (e.g. Pig, Hive, Flume, HBase, Zookeeper, Mahout, Whirr, Hue, Sqoop and Oozie)
- Cloudera conducts quarterly updates: eliminating the need to conduct a big scale annual upgrade.
- Requires companies to obtain the necessary hardware in order to install the application, adding additional costs.
- Additional costs are added to support and maintain the application, increasing the company’s operating costs.
IBM InfoSphere BigInsights (www.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights)
A new product introduced in May 2011, the product is geared towards handling extremely large volumes of streaming data using a Hadoop-based analytics framework. IBM states that the IBM InfoSphere Biginsights will be able to handle “tens-of-petabytes” of data, and will retain a sub-millisecond response time. The company also plans to launch 20 new service offerings, including numerous analytical tools for business and IT.
- Superior product support and long standing company reputation established from many years of servicing the IT community.
- Comes standard with a number of essential components including; PIG programming, IBM DB2 and IBM BigSheets.
- Offers two replication models that provide log-based replication working independently (queue-based and SQL-based).
- Lots of documentation and step-by-step training is available from the IBM website.
- Superior product for analysing big data in motion that needs to be continuously analyzed in real time.
- New to the marketplace and has not been around long enough to ensure a solid reputation.
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations seeking to utilize a more cost effective application.
MapR M3 and M5 (www.mapr.com)
With headquarters in San Jose, CA, MapR markets its proprietary applications with a focus on providing a number of key features and capabilities for the use with MapReduce and Hadoop.
- Offers superior monitoring that can provide a better understanding of data distribution and processing – essential for achieving increased performance.
- A free version is offered, which includes everything except management tools which are only offered in its M5 series products.
- Excellent technical support and vast quantities of documentation available
- New to the marketplace so has a limited reputation
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations
- 24×7 support is only available on the paid version of the application
- Requires an enormous amount of disk space to install (25GB), compared to similar products.
Hortonworks Data Platform (http://hortonworks.com/)
Hortonworks was formed in June 2011 by a number of key architects and Hadoop committers formerly employed within the Yahoo Hadoop Software department. The company’s offerings include; HDP (Hadoop Data Platform) and Training Support Services. The company currently serves 2 customers – Yahoo and Microsoft.
- A spin-off Yahoo product, so it’s been tested in the marketplace.
- Lots of documentation and support available from the knowledgebase community.
- The company is continuously working with Yahoo to develop its future products
- Scalable to meet the demands of specific projects.
- Offers variations and expanded product offerings from partnerships with a number of specialized companies.
- Product is similar in nature to Cloudera, and provides similar features.
1 YEAR WEBSITE TRAFFIC COMPARISON (from Compete.com)
Hopefully our post has been of interest to web developers and system administrators.
More information on Monitis can be found on our website: www.monitis.com
SYS-CON Events announced today that (ISC)²® (“ISC-squared”) will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Two leading non-profits focused on cloud and information security, (ISC)² and Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), developed the Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification to address the increased demand for cloud security expertise due to rapid growth in cloud. Recently named “The Next...
Feb. 14, 2016 04:00 PM EST
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 14, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 270
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 14, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 303
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 14, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 163
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
Feb. 14, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 126
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 14, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 463
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 482
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 295
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, will give users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion w...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 169
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 14, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 328
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 14, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 291
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 14, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 456
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 14, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 172
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a global technology solutions provider with over 400 employees, headquartered in the United States with offices in Canada, India, and the United Kingdom. Column Technologies provides “Best of Breed” technology solutions that automate the key DevOps principal...
Feb. 14, 2016 11:45 AM EST
Advances in technology and ubiquitous connectivity have made the utilization of a dispersed workforce more common. Whether that remote team is located across the street or country, management styles/ approaches will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new dynamic. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., focused on the challenges of managing remote teams, providing real-world examples that demonstrate what works and what do...
Feb. 14, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 376
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 14, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 240
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 14, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 108
When building large, cloud-based applications that operate at a high scale, it’s important to maintain a high availability and resilience to failures. In order to do that, you must be tolerant of failures, even in light of failures in other areas of your application. “Fly two mistakes high” is an old adage in the radio control airplane hobby. It means, fly high enough so that if you make a mistake, you can continue flying with room to still make mistakes. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee...
Feb. 14, 2016 09:15 AM EST
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, will discuss how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from mil...
Feb. 14, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 109