|By Hovhannes Avoyan||
|April 9, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
It is our goal at Monitis to make the lives of web developers and system administrators easy. We have reviewed the 5 leading hosted hadoop-based applications and given a short analysis of them in this post to help guide you in finding a solution that best suits your needs.
The article covers: Amazon Elastic MapReduce; Cloud Era CDH; InfoSphere BigInsights; MapR M3 and M5 and Hortonworks Data Platform.
Amazon Elastic MapReduce (http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/)
Introduced by Amazon in 2009, Elastic MapReduce automates the process of various Hadoop cluster processes and transfers between Amazon’s EC2 and S3 products. For a minimal fee, Amazon will provide its clients with the ability to launch a preconfigured Hadoop cluster to run a client’s MapReduce Program.
- Very easy to setup a job flow
- There’s an enormous amount of documentation available to help new users
- Example applications are provided, giving an option to test drive the application before putting it to use.
- Entire application system can be powered by a command line interface, compared to a web-based management console.
- Ability to conduct several jobs simultaneously and parallel.
- No hardware is needed and costs can be very limited, which is great for small businesses seeking to be more cost efficient.
- Need an account with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Service is only available in the United States
- Requires the use of Amazon’s S3 service, which adds extra costs to an overall project (data transfer, security etc.)
Cloudera CDH (www.cloudera.com)
Founded in March 2009, Cloudera was previously considered to be the Red Hat of the Hadoop World. With a large customer base of over 400 (including paid and free downloads), the company’s offerings include the Cloudera Enterprise products and Training & Support Services. Formed by a number of key executives from various technology giants (Oracle, Yahoo, Google and Facebook), Cloudera is considered the pioneer in the Hadoop community, having a head start in the industry compared to its competitors.
- Free application that can be easily downloaded
- Installed internally within an organization which allows the company to have full control of all processes, jobs etc.
- Technical support is superior and the knowledgebase is an essential resource to anyone starting out with Hadoop
- Used by a large number of companies worldwide, and has been proven as a leading choice in Hadoop applications.
- Application includes additional resources and components (e.g. Pig, Hive, Flume, HBase, Zookeeper, Mahout, Whirr, Hue, Sqoop and Oozie)
- Cloudera conducts quarterly updates: eliminating the need to conduct a big scale annual upgrade.
- Requires companies to obtain the necessary hardware in order to install the application, adding additional costs.
- Additional costs are added to support and maintain the application, increasing the company’s operating costs.
IBM InfoSphere BigInsights (www.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights)
A new product introduced in May 2011, the product is geared towards handling extremely large volumes of streaming data using a Hadoop-based analytics framework. IBM states that the IBM InfoSphere Biginsights will be able to handle “tens-of-petabytes” of data, and will retain a sub-millisecond response time. The company also plans to launch 20 new service offerings, including numerous analytical tools for business and IT.
- Superior product support and long standing company reputation established from many years of servicing the IT community.
- Comes standard with a number of essential components including; PIG programming, IBM DB2 and IBM BigSheets.
- Offers two replication models that provide log-based replication working independently (queue-based and SQL-based).
- Lots of documentation and step-by-step training is available from the IBM website.
- Superior product for analysing big data in motion that needs to be continuously analyzed in real time.
- New to the marketplace and has not been around long enough to ensure a solid reputation.
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations seeking to utilize a more cost effective application.
MapR M3 and M5 (www.mapr.com)
With headquarters in San Jose, CA, MapR markets its proprietary applications with a focus on providing a number of key features and capabilities for the use with MapReduce and Hadoop.
- Offers superior monitoring that can provide a better understanding of data distribution and processing – essential for achieving increased performance.
- A free version is offered, which includes everything except management tools which are only offered in its M5 series products.
- Excellent technical support and vast quantities of documentation available
- New to the marketplace so has a limited reputation
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations
- 24×7 support is only available on the paid version of the application
- Requires an enormous amount of disk space to install (25GB), compared to similar products.
Hortonworks Data Platform (http://hortonworks.com/)
Hortonworks was formed in June 2011 by a number of key architects and Hadoop committers formerly employed within the Yahoo Hadoop Software department. The company’s offerings include; HDP (Hadoop Data Platform) and Training Support Services. The company currently serves 2 customers – Yahoo and Microsoft.
- A spin-off Yahoo product, so it’s been tested in the marketplace.
- Lots of documentation and support available from the knowledgebase community.
- The company is continuously working with Yahoo to develop its future products
- Scalable to meet the demands of specific projects.
- Offers variations and expanded product offerings from partnerships with a number of specialized companies.
- Product is similar in nature to Cloudera, and provides similar features.
1 YEAR WEBSITE TRAFFIC COMPARISON (from Compete.com)
Hopefully our post has been of interest to web developers and system administrators.
More information on Monitis can be found on our website: www.monitis.com
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Sep. 2, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 638
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 514
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 223
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,607
API-Driven Digital Healthcare Solution By @AkanaInc | @DevOpsSummit #API #IoT #DevOps #Microservices
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device acce...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 307
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Sep. 2, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 835
In 2014, the market witnessed a massive migration to the cloud as enterprises finally overcame their fears of the cloud’s viability, security, etc. Over the past 18 months, AWS, Google and Microsoft have waged an ongoing battle through a wave of price cuts and new features. For IT executives, sorting through all the noise to make the best cloud investment decisions has become daunting. Enterprises can and are moving away from a "one size fits all" cloud approach. The new competitive field has ...
Sep. 2, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 148
Advances in technology and ubiquitous connectivity have made the utilization of a dispersed workforce more common. Whether that remote team is located across the street or country, management styles/ approaches will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new dynamic. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., will focus on the challenges of managing remote teams, providing real-world examples that demonstrate what works and what...
Sep. 2, 2015 07:15 PM EDT
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Sep. 2, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,659
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 2, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 463
The web app is agile. The REST API is agile. The testing and planning are agile. But alas, data infrastructures certainly are not. Once an application matures, changing the shape or indexing scheme of data often forces at best a top down planning exercise and at worst includes schema changes that force downtime. The time has come for a new approach that fundamentally advances the agility of distributed data infrastructures. Come learn about a new solution to the problems faced by software organ...
Sep. 2, 2015 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 122
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Sep. 2, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 270
Introducing Containers & Microservices Bootcamp at @CloudExpo Silicon Valley | #Containers #Microservices
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Sep. 2, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 394
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Sep. 2, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 355
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Sep. 2, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,583
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Sep. 2, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,566
Moving an existing on-premise infrastructure into the cloud can be a complex and daunting proposition. It is critical to understand the benefits as well as the challenges associated with either a full or hybrid approach. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Richard Weiss, Principal Consultant at Pythian, will present a roadmap that can be leveraged by any organization to plan, analyze, evaluate and execute on a cloud migration solution. He will review the five major cloud transformation phases a...
Sep. 2, 2015 03:30 PM EDT
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the ...
Sep. 2, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,627
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Sep. 2, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 292
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Sep. 2, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 441