|By Hovhannes Avoyan||
|April 9, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
It is our goal at Monitis to make the lives of web developers and system administrators easy. We have reviewed the 5 leading hosted hadoop-based applications and given a short analysis of them in this post to help guide you in finding a solution that best suits your needs.
The article covers: Amazon Elastic MapReduce; Cloud Era CDH; InfoSphere BigInsights; MapR M3 and M5 and Hortonworks Data Platform.
Amazon Elastic MapReduce (http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/)
Introduced by Amazon in 2009, Elastic MapReduce automates the process of various Hadoop cluster processes and transfers between Amazon’s EC2 and S3 products. For a minimal fee, Amazon will provide its clients with the ability to launch a preconfigured Hadoop cluster to run a client’s MapReduce Program.
- Very easy to setup a job flow
- There’s an enormous amount of documentation available to help new users
- Example applications are provided, giving an option to test drive the application before putting it to use.
- Entire application system can be powered by a command line interface, compared to a web-based management console.
- Ability to conduct several jobs simultaneously and parallel.
- No hardware is needed and costs can be very limited, which is great for small businesses seeking to be more cost efficient.
- Need an account with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Service is only available in the United States
- Requires the use of Amazon’s S3 service, which adds extra costs to an overall project (data transfer, security etc.)
Cloudera CDH (www.cloudera.com)
Founded in March 2009, Cloudera was previously considered to be the Red Hat of the Hadoop World. With a large customer base of over 400 (including paid and free downloads), the company’s offerings include the Cloudera Enterprise products and Training & Support Services. Formed by a number of key executives from various technology giants (Oracle, Yahoo, Google and Facebook), Cloudera is considered the pioneer in the Hadoop community, having a head start in the industry compared to its competitors.
- Free application that can be easily downloaded
- Installed internally within an organization which allows the company to have full control of all processes, jobs etc.
- Technical support is superior and the knowledgebase is an essential resource to anyone starting out with Hadoop
- Used by a large number of companies worldwide, and has been proven as a leading choice in Hadoop applications.
- Application includes additional resources and components (e.g. Pig, Hive, Flume, HBase, Zookeeper, Mahout, Whirr, Hue, Sqoop and Oozie)
- Cloudera conducts quarterly updates: eliminating the need to conduct a big scale annual upgrade.
- Requires companies to obtain the necessary hardware in order to install the application, adding additional costs.
- Additional costs are added to support and maintain the application, increasing the company’s operating costs.
IBM InfoSphere BigInsights (www.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights)
A new product introduced in May 2011, the product is geared towards handling extremely large volumes of streaming data using a Hadoop-based analytics framework. IBM states that the IBM InfoSphere Biginsights will be able to handle “tens-of-petabytes” of data, and will retain a sub-millisecond response time. The company also plans to launch 20 new service offerings, including numerous analytical tools for business and IT.
- Superior product support and long standing company reputation established from many years of servicing the IT community.
- Comes standard with a number of essential components including; PIG programming, IBM DB2 and IBM BigSheets.
- Offers two replication models that provide log-based replication working independently (queue-based and SQL-based).
- Lots of documentation and step-by-step training is available from the IBM website.
- Superior product for analysing big data in motion that needs to be continuously analyzed in real time.
- New to the marketplace and has not been around long enough to ensure a solid reputation.
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations seeking to utilize a more cost effective application.
MapR M3 and M5 (www.mapr.com)
With headquarters in San Jose, CA, MapR markets its proprietary applications with a focus on providing a number of key features and capabilities for the use with MapReduce and Hadoop.
- Offers superior monitoring that can provide a better understanding of data distribution and processing – essential for achieving increased performance.
- A free version is offered, which includes everything except management tools which are only offered in its M5 series products.
- Excellent technical support and vast quantities of documentation available
- New to the marketplace so has a limited reputation
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations
- 24×7 support is only available on the paid version of the application
- Requires an enormous amount of disk space to install (25GB), compared to similar products.
Hortonworks Data Platform (http://hortonworks.com/)
Hortonworks was formed in June 2011 by a number of key architects and Hadoop committers formerly employed within the Yahoo Hadoop Software department. The company’s offerings include; HDP (Hadoop Data Platform) and Training Support Services. The company currently serves 2 customers – Yahoo and Microsoft.
- A spin-off Yahoo product, so it’s been tested in the marketplace.
- Lots of documentation and support available from the knowledgebase community.
- The company is continuously working with Yahoo to develop its future products
- Scalable to meet the demands of specific projects.
- Offers variations and expanded product offerings from partnerships with a number of specialized companies.
- Product is similar in nature to Cloudera, and provides similar features.
1 YEAR WEBSITE TRAFFIC COMPARISON (from Compete.com)
Hopefully our post has been of interest to web developers and system administrators.
More information on Monitis can be found on our website: www.monitis.com
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Ashar Baig, Research ...
Oct. 25, 2014 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,786
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, will focus on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud pla...
Oct. 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,629
StackIQ offers a comprehensive software suite that automates the deployment, provisioning, and management of Big Infrastructure. With StackIQ’s software, you can spin up fully configured big data clusters, quickly and consistently — from bare-metal up to the applications layer — and manage them efficiently. Our software’s modular architecture allows customers to integrate nearly any application with the StackIQ software stack.
Oct. 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,719
As Platform as a Service (PaaS) matures as a category, developers should have the ability to use the programming language of their choice to build applications and have access to a wide array of services. Bluemix is IBM's open cloud development platform that enables users to easily build cloud-based, creative mobile and web applications without having to spend large amounts of time and resources on configuring infrastructure and multiple software licenses. In this track, you will learn about the...
Oct. 25, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,692
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money! Speaker Bio: ...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,300
Compute virtualization has been transformational, yet security policy implementation and enforcement has lagged behind in agility and automation. There are a number of key considerations when implementing policy in private and hybrid clouds. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Holland Barry, VP of Technology at Catbird, will discuss the impact of this new paradigm and what organizations can do today to safely move to software-defined network and compute architectures, including: How normal ope...
Oct. 24, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,495
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Open Innovation Center. Can you elaborate on your commitment to keep the platform open? Jacopo Lenzi: S...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,661
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic • Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff hap...
Oct. 23, 2014 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,661
SYS-CON Events announced today that SOA Software, an API management leader, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SOA Software is a leading provider of API Management and SOA Governance products that equip business to deliver APIs and SOA together to drive their company to meet its business strategy quickly and effectively. SOA Software’s technology helps businesses to accel...
Oct. 23, 2014 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,692
SYS-CON Events announced today that Utimaco will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Utimaco is a leading manufacturer of hardware based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. Only Utimaco delivers a general-purpose hardware security module (HSM) as a customiz...
Oct. 23, 2014 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,611
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 22, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,540
SYS-CON Events announced today that ElasticBox is holding a Hackathon at DevOps Summit, November 6 from 12 pm -4 pm at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. You can enter as an individual or team of up to 10 developers. A New Star Is Born Every Month! All completed ElasticBoxes will then be sent to a judging panel - 12 winners will be featured on the ElasticBox website in 2015. All entrants will receive five full enterprise licenses for one year + ElasticBox headphones + Elasti...
Oct. 22, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,551
Once the decision has been made to move part or all of a workload to the cloud, a methodology for selecting that workload needs to be established. How do you move to the cloud? What does the discovery, assessment and planning look like? What workloads make sense? Which cloud model makes sense for each workload? What are the considerations for how to select the right cloud model? And how does that fit in with the overall IT tranformation? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, John Hatem, head of V...
Oct. 22, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,575
Cloud services are the newest tool in the arsenal of IT products in the market today. These cloud services integrate process and tools. In order to use these products effectively, organizations must have a good understanding of themselves and their business requirements. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Brian Lewis, Principal Architect at Verizon Cloud, will outline key areas of organizational focus, and how to formalize an actionable plan when migrating applications and internal services to...
Oct. 22, 2014 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,609
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, will discuss how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP ...
Oct. 22, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,697
Ixia develops amazing products so its customers can connect the world. Ixia helps its customers provide an always-on user experience through fast, secure delivery of dynamic connected technologies and services. Through actionable insights that accelerate and secure application and service delivery, Ixia's customers benefit from faster time to market, optimized application performance and higher-quality deployments.
Oct. 21, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,532
SYS-CON Events announced today that Calm.io has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of DevOps Summit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Calm.io is a cloud orchestration platform for AWS, vCenter, OpenStack, or bare metal, that runs your CL tools puppet, Chef, shell, git, Jenkins, nagios, and will soon support New Relic and Docker. It can run hosted, or on premise and provides VM automation / expiry, self-service portals,...
Oct. 21, 2014 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,485
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue bu...
Oct. 21, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,599
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce t...
Oct. 21, 2014 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,676
Blue Box has closed a $10 million Series B financing. The round was led by a strategic investor and included participation from prior investors including Voyager Capital and Founders Collective, as well as the Blue Box executive team. This round follows a $4.3 million Series A closed in December of 2012 and led by Voyager Capital. In May of this year, the company announced general availability of its private cloud as a service offering, Blue Box Cloud. Since that release, the company has dem...
Oct. 21, 2014 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,642