|By Hovhannes Avoyan||
|April 9, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
It is our goal at Monitis to make the lives of web developers and system administrators easy. We have reviewed the 5 leading hosted hadoop-based applications and given a short analysis of them in this post to help guide you in finding a solution that best suits your needs.
The article covers: Amazon Elastic MapReduce; Cloud Era CDH; InfoSphere BigInsights; MapR M3 and M5 and Hortonworks Data Platform.
Amazon Elastic MapReduce (http://aws.amazon.com/elasticmapreduce/)
Introduced by Amazon in 2009, Elastic MapReduce automates the process of various Hadoop cluster processes and transfers between Amazon’s EC2 and S3 products. For a minimal fee, Amazon will provide its clients with the ability to launch a preconfigured Hadoop cluster to run a client’s MapReduce Program.
- Very easy to setup a job flow
- There’s an enormous amount of documentation available to help new users
- Example applications are provided, giving an option to test drive the application before putting it to use.
- Entire application system can be powered by a command line interface, compared to a web-based management console.
- Ability to conduct several jobs simultaneously and parallel.
- No hardware is needed and costs can be very limited, which is great for small businesses seeking to be more cost efficient.
- Need an account with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Service is only available in the United States
- Requires the use of Amazon’s S3 service, which adds extra costs to an overall project (data transfer, security etc.)
Cloudera CDH (www.cloudera.com)
Founded in March 2009, Cloudera was previously considered to be the Red Hat of the Hadoop World. With a large customer base of over 400 (including paid and free downloads), the company’s offerings include the Cloudera Enterprise products and Training & Support Services. Formed by a number of key executives from various technology giants (Oracle, Yahoo, Google and Facebook), Cloudera is considered the pioneer in the Hadoop community, having a head start in the industry compared to its competitors.
- Free application that can be easily downloaded
- Installed internally within an organization which allows the company to have full control of all processes, jobs etc.
- Technical support is superior and the knowledgebase is an essential resource to anyone starting out with Hadoop
- Used by a large number of companies worldwide, and has been proven as a leading choice in Hadoop applications.
- Application includes additional resources and components (e.g. Pig, Hive, Flume, HBase, Zookeeper, Mahout, Whirr, Hue, Sqoop and Oozie)
- Cloudera conducts quarterly updates: eliminating the need to conduct a big scale annual upgrade.
- Requires companies to obtain the necessary hardware in order to install the application, adding additional costs.
- Additional costs are added to support and maintain the application, increasing the company’s operating costs.
IBM InfoSphere BigInsights (www.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights)
A new product introduced in May 2011, the product is geared towards handling extremely large volumes of streaming data using a Hadoop-based analytics framework. IBM states that the IBM InfoSphere Biginsights will be able to handle “tens-of-petabytes” of data, and will retain a sub-millisecond response time. The company also plans to launch 20 new service offerings, including numerous analytical tools for business and IT.
- Superior product support and long standing company reputation established from many years of servicing the IT community.
- Comes standard with a number of essential components including; PIG programming, IBM DB2 and IBM BigSheets.
- Offers two replication models that provide log-based replication working independently (queue-based and SQL-based).
- Lots of documentation and step-by-step training is available from the IBM website.
- Superior product for analysing big data in motion that needs to be continuously analyzed in real time.
- New to the marketplace and has not been around long enough to ensure a solid reputation.
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations seeking to utilize a more cost effective application.
MapR M3 and M5 (www.mapr.com)
With headquarters in San Jose, CA, MapR markets its proprietary applications with a focus on providing a number of key features and capabilities for the use with MapReduce and Hadoop.
- Offers superior monitoring that can provide a better understanding of data distribution and processing – essential for achieving increased performance.
- A free version is offered, which includes everything except management tools which are only offered in its M5 series products.
- Excellent technical support and vast quantities of documentation available
- New to the marketplace so has a limited reputation
- An expensive solution for small/medium size organizations
- 24×7 support is only available on the paid version of the application
- Requires an enormous amount of disk space to install (25GB), compared to similar products.
Hortonworks Data Platform (http://hortonworks.com/)
Hortonworks was formed in June 2011 by a number of key architects and Hadoop committers formerly employed within the Yahoo Hadoop Software department. The company’s offerings include; HDP (Hadoop Data Platform) and Training Support Services. The company currently serves 2 customers – Yahoo and Microsoft.
- A spin-off Yahoo product, so it’s been tested in the marketplace.
- Lots of documentation and support available from the knowledgebase community.
- The company is continuously working with Yahoo to develop its future products
- Scalable to meet the demands of specific projects.
- Offers variations and expanded product offerings from partnerships with a number of specialized companies.
- Product is similar in nature to Cloudera, and provides similar features.
1 YEAR WEBSITE TRAFFIC COMPARISON (from Compete.com)
Hopefully our post has been of interest to web developers and system administrators.
More information on Monitis can be found on our website: www.monitis.com
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 20, 2014 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,340
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,920
AppZero has announced that its award-winning application migration software is now fully qualified within the Microsoft Azure Certified program. AppZero has undergone extensive technical evaluation with Microsoft Corp., earning its designation as Microsoft Azure Certified. As a result of AppZero's work with Microsoft, customers are able to easily find, purchase and deploy AppZero from the Azure Marketplace. With just a few clicks, users have an Azure-based solution for moving applications to the...
Dec. 19, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,304
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,283
The cloud is becoming the de-facto way for enterprises to leverage common infrastructure while innovating and one of the biggest obstacles facing public cloud computing is security. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jeff Aliber, a global marketing executive at Verizon, discussed how the best place for web security is in the cloud. Benefits include: Functions as the first layer of defense Easy operation –CNAME change Implement an integrated solution Best architecture for addressing network-l...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,891
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,953
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 19, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,955
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,412
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 19, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,578
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 2,553
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 19, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 2,462
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,775
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 19, 2014 06:30 AM EST Reads: 2,787
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 19, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 2,492
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Dec. 19, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 2,330
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Dec. 19, 2014 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,639
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 1,689
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,937
Mobile commerce traffic is surpassing desktop, yet less than 20% of sales in the U.S. are mobile commerce sales. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dan Franklin, Segment Manager, Commerce, at Verizon Digital Media Services, defined mobile devices and discussed how next generation means simplification. It means taking your digital content and turning it into instantly gratifying experiences.
Dec. 18, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,828