|By Kevin Benedict||
|October 19, 2012 03:34 PM EDT||
I learned a lot at SAP's TechEd 2012 this week. Here are some of my impressions and notes. SAP, if I have any of this wrong please correct me!
- SAP hired a new M2M leader that reports into Sanjay Poonen.
- SAP's Vishal Sikka and Sanjay Poonen both spoke about the "Internet of Things", also known as M2M (machine to machine) communications. This is a huge emerging technology trend.
- Vishal Sikka hinted at the potential of using Hana on Ariba. Very interesting!
- Learned SAP's SuccessFactor has a mobile application
- SAP Mobility Platform will be the brand for all mobile technologies. The mobile middleware you ultimately choose under the SMP brand could be NetWeaver Gateway, Syclo's Agentry or SUP. It will all be there and serve different purposes in the near term. Long term there will be more convergence.
- 50% of Syclo's customers were IBM Maximo customers (random I know)
- Phase one of the Syclo and SMP (SAP Mobility Platform) convergence will happen Q1 and a roadmap has been defined for the rest
- SAP is now fully embracing partner solutions for developing mobile apps (think ClickSoftware, Sencha, Appcelerator, Cordova, etc.)
- SAP Box, a DropBox like solution, is being developed by SAP and secured with Afaria, is coming soon.
- SuccessFactor's social networking platform JAM, will be the social and collaboration platform of choice from SAP - bye, bye StreamWorks.
- SAP now has 18,000 iPads, 16,000 iPhones, 2,000 Androids and 4,000 BYOD supported mobile devices. These are all secured and managed through Afaria. Oliver Bussman and his team truly speaks from experience on issues related to mobility.
- SAP's BYOD policy is bettered called BYODALAIIOOTT - Bring your own device as long as it is one of these ten...
- Sanjay Poonen referenced that Afaria could scale up to support half a billion devices...
- SAP's internal support of Android is still limited to Samsung devices. SAP and Samsung have a special technology partnership that enables SAP to better secure Samsung Android devices
- SAP is talking a lot about Afaria and SAP Mobility Platform in the cloud
- Sanjay Poonen mentioned a home design app, that allows users to design their own home by choosing colors and other decorations. The app data is aggregated and analyzed to predict the popularity of various items and colors by the retail stores and manufacturers. Very cool example of integrating social networking tools with sales forecasting and SCM.
- SAP has set-up internal "Apple Genius-like" bars in their offices to help employees with mobile devices and apps.
- I heard a lot of excitement from many SAP people, and other CIOs about Windows 8. There is a lot of pent-up demand and hope.
- Developing a mobile strategy is still the big bottle neck at companies
- Afaria was referenced as extending out to secure M2M devices
- With new UI designs from Microsoft (think Metro) developers may want to design the same app with completely different UIs instead of just simple OS changes...hummm more work and components to manage
- Heard a CIO say a rule of thumb is that each new mobile apps will require 1 FTE to maintain it
- Heard of an effort inside SAP to connect their GRC (governance and risk?) to Afaria so mobile policies could be automatically enforced
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 810
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 633
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 28, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,937
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 655
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,110
Announcing @TelecomReseller Named “Media Sponsor” of @CloudExpo Silicon Valley | #IoT #Cloud #BigData
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 812
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,016
[session] Architecting for the Cloud By @RagsS | @CloudExpo @IBMBluemix #Cloud #Docker #Microservices
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 866
StarNet Adds Secure Remote Linux and Unix Desktops to X-Win32 | @CloudExpo @XWin32 #Cloud #Linux #Security
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 28, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 702
Enterprises have forever faced challenges surrounding the sharing of their intellectual property. Emerging cloud adoption has made it more compelling for enterprises to digitize their content, making them available over a wide variety of devices across the Internet. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Santosh Ahuja, Director of Architecture at Impiger Technologies, will introduce various mechanisms provided by cloud service providers today to manage and share digital content in a secure manner....
Aug. 28, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 759
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 28, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 776
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 28, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,402
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,360
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,783
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,164
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,112
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,970
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,839
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,366
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,790