|By Kevin Benedict||
|October 19, 2012 03:34 PM EDT||
I learned a lot at SAP's TechEd 2012 this week. Here are some of my impressions and notes. SAP, if I have any of this wrong please correct me!
- SAP hired a new M2M leader that reports into Sanjay Poonen.
- SAP's Vishal Sikka and Sanjay Poonen both spoke about the "Internet of Things", also known as M2M (machine to machine) communications. This is a huge emerging technology trend.
- Vishal Sikka hinted at the potential of using Hana on Ariba. Very interesting!
- Learned SAP's SuccessFactor has a mobile application
- SAP Mobility Platform will be the brand for all mobile technologies. The mobile middleware you ultimately choose under the SMP brand could be NetWeaver Gateway, Syclo's Agentry or SUP. It will all be there and serve different purposes in the near term. Long term there will be more convergence.
- 50% of Syclo's customers were IBM Maximo customers (random I know)
- Phase one of the Syclo and SMP (SAP Mobility Platform) convergence will happen Q1 and a roadmap has been defined for the rest
- SAP is now fully embracing partner solutions for developing mobile apps (think ClickSoftware, Sencha, Appcelerator, Cordova, etc.)
- SAP Box, a DropBox like solution, is being developed by SAP and secured with Afaria, is coming soon.
- SuccessFactor's social networking platform JAM, will be the social and collaboration platform of choice from SAP - bye, bye StreamWorks.
- SAP now has 18,000 iPads, 16,000 iPhones, 2,000 Androids and 4,000 BYOD supported mobile devices. These are all secured and managed through Afaria. Oliver Bussman and his team truly speaks from experience on issues related to mobility.
- SAP's BYOD policy is bettered called BYODALAIIOOTT - Bring your own device as long as it is one of these ten...
- Sanjay Poonen referenced that Afaria could scale up to support half a billion devices...
- SAP's internal support of Android is still limited to Samsung devices. SAP and Samsung have a special technology partnership that enables SAP to better secure Samsung Android devices
- SAP is talking a lot about Afaria and SAP Mobility Platform in the cloud
- Sanjay Poonen mentioned a home design app, that allows users to design their own home by choosing colors and other decorations. The app data is aggregated and analyzed to predict the popularity of various items and colors by the retail stores and manufacturers. Very cool example of integrating social networking tools with sales forecasting and SCM.
- SAP has set-up internal "Apple Genius-like" bars in their offices to help employees with mobile devices and apps.
- I heard a lot of excitement from many SAP people, and other CIOs about Windows 8. There is a lot of pent-up demand and hope.
- Developing a mobile strategy is still the big bottle neck at companies
- Afaria was referenced as extending out to secure M2M devices
- With new UI designs from Microsoft (think Metro) developers may want to design the same app with completely different UIs instead of just simple OS changes...hummm more work and components to manage
- Heard a CIO say a rule of thumb is that each new mobile apps will require 1 FTE to maintain it
- Heard of an effort inside SAP to connect their GRC (governance and risk?) to Afaria so mobile policies could be automatically enforced
In the midst of the widespread popularity and adoption of cloud computing, it seems like everything is being offered “as a Service” these days: Infrastructure? Check. Platform? You bet. Software? Absolutely. Toaster? It’s only a matter of time. With service providers positioning vastly differing offerings under a generic “cloud” umbrella, it’s all too easy to get confused about what’s actually being offered. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Kevin Hazard, Director of Digital Content for SoftL...
Jun. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,078
Agile, which started in the development organization, has gradually expanded into other areas downstream - namely IT and Operations. Teams – then teams of teams – have streamlined processes, improved feedback loops and driven a much faster pace into IT departments which have had profound effects on the entire organization. In his session at DevOps Summit, Anders Wallgren, Chief Technology Officer of Electric Cloud, will discuss how DevOps and Continuous Delivery have emerged to help connect dev...
Jun. 30, 2015 04:39 PM EDT Reads: 542
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies drivi...
Jun. 30, 2015 04:21 PM EDT Reads: 576
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world...
Jun. 30, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,146
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jun. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,991
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, discussed how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at th...
Jun. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,859
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and Containers together help companies to achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of...
Jun. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,106
Malicious agents are moving faster than the speed of business. Even more worrisome, most companies are relying on legacy approaches to security that are no longer capable of meeting current threats. In the modern cloud, threat diversity is rapidly expanding, necessitating more sophisticated security protocols than those used in the past or in desktop environments. Yet companies are falling for cloud security myths that were truths at one time but have evolved out of existence.
Jun. 30, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,047
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jun. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,888
"We provide a web application framework for building really sophisticated web applications that run on a browser without any installation need so we get used for biotech, defense, and banking applications," noted Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit (http://DevOpsSummit.SYS-CON.com), held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York
Jun. 30, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 842
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jun. 30, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 894
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jun. 30, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 869
SYS-CON Events announced today that JFrog, maker of Artifactory, the popular Binary Repository Manager, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based in California, Israel and France, founded by longtime field-experts, JFrog, creator of Artifactory and Bintray, has provided the market with the first Binary Repository solution and a software distribution social platform.
Jun. 30, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 793
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jun. 30, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 784
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect t...
Jun. 30, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,061
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jun. 30, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,397
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Jun. 30, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,974
Public Cloud IaaS started its life in the developer and startup communities and has grown rapidly to a $20B+ industry, but it still pales in comparison to how much is spent worldwide on IT: $3.6 trillion. In fact, there are 8.6 million data centers worldwide, the reality is many small and medium sized business have server closets and colocation footprints filled with servers and storage gear. While on-premise environment virtualization may have peaked at 75%, the Public Cloud has lagged in adop...
Jun. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,313
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BMC delivers software solutions that help IT transform digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive business advantage. BMC has worked with thousands of leading companies to create and deliver powerful IT management services. From mainframe to cloud to mobile, BMC pairs high-speed digital innovation with robust...
Jun. 29, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,640
Even as cloud and managed services grow increasingly central to business strategy and performance, challenges remain. The biggest sticking point for companies seeking to capitalize on the cloud is data security. Keeping data safe is an issue in any computing environment, and it has been a focus since the earliest days of the cloud revolution. Understandably so: a lot can go wrong when you allow valuable information to live outside the firewall. Recent revelations about government snooping, along...
Jun. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,167