|By Cloud Ventures||
|October 23, 2012 10:00 AM EDT||
Open Data is data that can be freely used, reused and redistributed by anyone – subject only, at the most, to the requirement for attributes and sharealikes (Open Software Service Definition – OSSD). As a consequence, Open Data should create value and might have a positive impact in many different areas such as government (tax money expenditure), health (medical research, hospital acceptance by pathology), quality of life (air breathed in our city, pollution) or might influence public decisions like investments, public economy and expenditure. We are talking about services, so open data are services needed to connect the community with the public bodies. However, the required open data should be part of a design and then integrated, mapped, updated and published in a form, which is easy to use. MaaS is the Open Data driver and enables Open Data portability into the Cloud.
Data models used as a service mainly provide the following topics:
- Implementing and sharing data structure models;
- Verifying data model properties according to private and public cloud requirements;
- Designing and testing new query types. Specific query classes need to support heterogeneous data;
- Designing of the data storage model. The model should enable query processing directly against databases to ensure privacy and secure changes from data updates and review;
- Modeling data to predict usage “early”;
- Portability, a central property when data is shared among fields of application;
- Sharing, redistribution and participation of data among datasets and applications.
As a consequence, the data should be available as a whole and at a reasonable fee, preferably by finding, navigating and downloading over the Cloud. It should also be available in a usable and changeable form. This means modeling Open Data and then using the models to map location and usage, configuration, integration and changes along the Open Data lifecycle.
What is MaaS
Data models can be shared, off-line tested and verified to define data designing requirements, data topology, performance, placement and deployment. This means models themselves can be supplied as a service to allow providers to verify how and where data has to be designed to meet the Cloud service’s requisites: this is MaaS. As a consequence by using MaaS, Open Data designers can verify “on-premise” how and why datasets meet Open Data requirements. With this approach, Open Data models can be tuned on real usage and then mapped “on-premise” to the public body’s service. Further, MaaS inherits all the defined service’s properties and so the data model can be reused, shared and classified for new Open Data design and publication.
Open Data implementation is MaaS (Model as a Service) driven
Open Data is completely supported by data modeling and then MaaS completely supports Open Data. MaaS should be the first practice, helping to tune analysis and Open Data design. Furthermore, data models govern design, deployment, storage, changes, resources allocation, hence MaaS supports:
- Applying Best Practice for Open Data design;
- Classifying Open Data field of application;
- Designing Open Data taxonomy and integration;
- Guiding Open Data implementation;
- Documenting data maturity and evolution by applying DaaS lifecycle.
Accordingly, Maas provides “on-premise” properties supporting Open Data design and publication:
- Analysis – What data are you planning to make open? When working with MaaS, a data model is used to perform data analysis. This means the Open Data designer might return to this step to correct, update and improve the incoming analysis: he always works on an “on-premise” data model. Analysis performed by model helps in identifying data integration and interoperability. The latter assists in choosing what data has to be published and in defining open datasets;
- Design – During the analysis step, the design is carried out too. The design can be changed and traced along the Open Data lifecycle. Remember that with MaaS the model is a service, and the data opened offers the designed service;
- Data security – Data security becomes the key property to rule data access and navigation. MaaS plays a crucial role in data security: in fact, the models contain all the infrastructure properties and include information to classify accesses, classes of users, perimeters and risk mitigation assets. Models are the central way to enable data protection within the Open Data device;
- Participation - Because the goal is “everyone must be able to use Open Data”, participation is comprehensive of people and groups without any discrimination or restriction. Models contain data access rules and accreditations (open licensing).
- Mapping – The MaaS mapping property is important because many people can obtain the data after long navigation and several “bridges” connecting different fields of applications. Looking at this aspect, MaaS helps the Open Data designer to define the best initial “route” between transformation and aggregation linking different areas. Then continually engaging citizens, developers, sector’s expert, managers … helps in modifying the model to better update and scale Open Data contents: the easier it is for outsiders to discover data, the faster new and useful Open Data services will be built.
- Ontology – Defining metadata vocabulary for describing ontologies. Starting from standard naming definition, data models provide grouping and reorganizing vocabulary for further metadata re-use, integration, maintenance, mapping and versioning;
- Portability – Models contain all the properties belonging to data in order that MaaS can enable Open Data service’s portability to the Cloud. The model is portable by definition and it can be generated to different database and infrastructures;
- Availability – The DaaS lifecycle assures structure validation in terms of MaaS accessibility;
- Reuse and distribution – Open Data can include merging with additional datasets belonging to other fields of application (for example, medical research vs. air pollution). Open Data built by MaaS has this advantage. Merging open datasets means merging models by comparing and synchronizing, old and new versions, if needed;
- Change Management and History – Data models are organized in libraries to preserve Open Data changes and history. Changes are traced and maintained to restore, if necessary, model and/or datasets;
- Redesign – Redesigning Open Data, means redesigning the model it belongs to: the model drives the history of the changes;
- Fast BI – Publishing Open Data is an action strictly related to the BI process. Redesigning and publishing Open Data are two automated steps starting from the design of the data model and from its successive updates.
MaaS is the emerging solution for Open Data implementation. Open Data is public and private accessible data, designed to connect the social community with the public bodies. This data should be made available without restriction although it is placed under security and open licensing. In addition, Open Data is always up-to-date and transformation and aggregation have to be simple and time saving for inesperienced users. To achieve these goals, the Open Data service has to be model driven designed and providing data integration, interoperability, mapping, portability, availability, security, distribution, all properties assured by applying MaaS.
 N. Piscopo - ERwin® in the Cloud: How Data Modeling Supports Database as a Service (DaaS) Implementations
 N. Piscopo - CA ERwin® Data Modeler’s Role in the Relational Cloud
 N. Piscopo - DaaS Contract templates: main constraints and examples, in press
 D. Burbank, S. Hoberman - Data Modeling Made Simple with CA ERwin® Data Modeler r8
 N. Piscopo – Best Practices for Moving to the Cloud using Data Models in theDaaS Life Cycle
 N. Piscopo – Using CA ERwin® Data Modeler and Microsoft SQL Azure to Move Data to the Cloud within the DaaS Life Cycle
 The Open Software Service Definition (OSSD) at opendefinition.org
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money! Speaker Bio: ...
Oct. 24, 2014 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 764
Compute virtualization has been transformational, yet security policy implementation and enforcement has lagged behind in agility and automation. There are a number of key considerations when implementing policy in private and hybrid clouds. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Holland Barry, VP of Technology at Catbird, will discuss the impact of this new paradigm and what organizations can do today to safely move to software-defined network and compute architectures, including: How normal ope...
Oct. 24, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,366
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Open Innovation Center. Can you elaborate on your commitment to keep the platform open? Jacopo Lenzi: S...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,543
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic • Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff hap...
Oct. 23, 2014 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,565
SYS-CON Events announced today that SOA Software, an API management leader, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SOA Software is a leading provider of API Management and SOA Governance products that equip business to deliver APIs and SOA together to drive their company to meet its business strategy quickly and effectively. SOA Software’s technology helps businesses to accel...
Oct. 23, 2014 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,584
SYS-CON Events announced today that Utimaco will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Utimaco is a leading manufacturer of hardware based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. Only Utimaco delivers a general-purpose hardware security module (HSM) as a customiz...
Oct. 23, 2014 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,509
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 22, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,421
SYS-CON Events announced today that ElasticBox is holding a Hackathon at DevOps Summit, November 6 from 12 pm -4 pm at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. You can enter as an individual or team of up to 10 developers. A New Star Is Born Every Month! All completed ElasticBoxes will then be sent to a judging panel - 12 winners will be featured on the ElasticBox website in 2015. All entrants will receive five full enterprise licenses for one year + ElasticBox headphones + Elasti...
Oct. 22, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,519
Once the decision has been made to move part or all of a workload to the cloud, a methodology for selecting that workload needs to be established. How do you move to the cloud? What does the discovery, assessment and planning look like? What workloads make sense? Which cloud model makes sense for each workload? What are the considerations for how to select the right cloud model? And how does that fit in with the overall IT tranformation? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, John Hatem, head of V...
Oct. 22, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,538
Cloud services are the newest tool in the arsenal of IT products in the market today. These cloud services integrate process and tools. In order to use these products effectively, organizations must have a good understanding of themselves and their business requirements. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Brian Lewis, Principal Architect at Verizon Cloud, will outline key areas of organizational focus, and how to formalize an actionable plan when migrating applications and internal services to...
Oct. 22, 2014 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,557
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, will discuss how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP ...
Oct. 22, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,661
Ixia develops amazing products so its customers can connect the world. Ixia helps its customers provide an always-on user experience through fast, secure delivery of dynamic connected technologies and services. Through actionable insights that accelerate and secure application and service delivery, Ixia's customers benefit from faster time to market, optimized application performance and higher-quality deployments.
Oct. 21, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,501
SYS-CON Events announced today that Calm.io has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of DevOps Summit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Calm.io is a cloud orchestration platform for AWS, vCenter, OpenStack, or bare metal, that runs your CL tools puppet, Chef, shell, git, Jenkins, nagios, and will soon support New Relic and Docker. It can run hosted, or on premise and provides VM automation / expiry, self-service portals,...
Oct. 21, 2014 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,444
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, will focus on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud pla...
Oct. 21, 2014 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,530
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue bu...
Oct. 21, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,506
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce t...
Oct. 21, 2014 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,588
As Platform as a Service (PaaS) matures as a category, developers should have the ability to use the programming language of their choice to build applications and have access to a wide array of services. Bluemix is IBM's open cloud development platform that enables users to easily build cloud-based, creative mobile and web applications without having to spend large amounts of time and resources on configuring infrastructure and multiple software licenses. In this track, you will learn about the...
Oct. 21, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,547
Blue Box has closed a $10 million Series B financing. The round was led by a strategic investor and included participation from prior investors including Voyager Capital and Founders Collective, as well as the Blue Box executive team. This round follows a $4.3 million Series A closed in December of 2012 and led by Voyager Capital. In May of this year, the company announced general availability of its private cloud as a service offering, Blue Box Cloud. Since that release, the company has dem...
Oct. 21, 2014 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,606
SYS-CON Events announced today that Verizon has been named "Gold Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Verizon Enterprise Solutions creates global connections that generate growth, drive business innovation and move society forward. With industry-specific solutions and a full range of global wholesale offerings provided over the company's secure mobility, cloud, strategic network...
Oct. 21, 2014 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,655
SimpleECM is the only platform to offer a powerful combination of enterprise content management (ECM) services, capture solutions, and third-party business services providing simplified integrations and workflow development for solution providers. SimpleECM is opening the market to businesses of all sizes by reinventing the delivery of ECM services. Our APIs make the development of ECM services simple with the use of familiar technologies for a frictionless integration directly into web applicat...
Oct. 20, 2014 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,766