|By Business Wire||
|November 8, 2012 12:12 AM EST||
Lenovo Group today reported results for its second fiscal quarter ended September 30, 2012. Outgrowing the market in all geographies, Lenovo continued its push towards becoming the number one vendor in the PC industry, with record quarterly sales of $8.7 billion, an 11 percent increase year-over-year. While growing faster than the top four PC companies for three straight years, Lenovo also turned in another quarter of record pre-tax income at US$204 million, evidence that the Company continues to build upon its track record of profitable growth.
During the second fiscal quarter, Lenovo’s worldwide PC shipments grew 10.3 percent, in a difficult market that was down eight percent year-over-year, the 14th quarter in a row that the company has grown faster than the PC industry as a whole. In this challenging environment, Lenovo achieved its highest-ever worldwide market share of 15.6 percent*, gaining share points in every geography, every product category in which it competes, and in every respective customer segment.
This balanced growth has become a hallmark of Lenovo over the past three years, and is the result of the Company’s continued focus on its “protect and attack” strategy, whereby Lenovo strengthens its position in those places or markets where it enjoys a solid business, while simultaneously reaching outwards into new places or markets where opportunities to reach even more customers present themselves. Entering these new markets is essential to Lenovo continuing its position as a leader in the PC Plus era, where tablets, smartphones and smart TVs continue to gain traction and capture record customer acceptance.
In addition to its impressive share gains, Lenovo turned in net income of US$162 million in the second quarter, an increase of 13 percent year-over-year, with gross margin at 12.1 percent. Gross profit for the second fiscal quarter increased 11 percent year-over-year, to US$1.1 billion, while operating profit for the second quarter was US$206 million, a 24 percent increase year-over-year.
Basic earnings per share for the second fiscal quarter was 1.58 US cents, or 12.25 HK cents. Net cash reserves as of September 30, 2012, totaled US$3.6 billion. Lenovo’s Board of Directors declared an interim dividend of 4.5 HK cents per share.
As the PC Plus era continues to take shape, Lenovo made several bold moves during the second fiscal quarter to solidify its leadership position, announcing two significant acquisitions: CCE, widely known in Brazil as a leader in PCs and consumer electronics, which significantly expands Lenovo’s presence in the world’s third-largest PC market, including manufacturing capabilities; and Stoneware, a software company based in Indiana, focused on cloud computing, which will help Lenovo grow its capabilities for both commercial and consumer cloud offerings, particularly the ability to provide secure content across multiple devices in education and government sectors.
Both of these acquisitions came quickly on the heels of Lenovo’s announcement of a global partnership with EMC, forming a server technology development program to help drive innovation and extend Lenovo’s capabilities in x86 industry-standard servers. As part of this agreement, Lenovo will bring these servers to market on its own, and embed them in selected EMC storage systems over time. Just last week, Lenovo announced the formation of the Enterprise Product Group, a new business unit that will focus on expanding the Company’s server, storage, networking and software offerings geared to a variety of commercial customers, including large enterprises, small/medium businesses and system integrators.
Also during the second quarter, Lenovo announced that it was opening a manufacturing line in North Carolina, creating 115 new manufacturing jobs, boosting its competitive position as a global company with strong local roots.
“With the strong execution of our Protect and Attack strategy, Lenovo has continued its strong and balanced growth momentum. Our global PC market share reached another historic high, moving us closer to our dream of becoming the worldwide PC leader. With four years’ effort, our Consumer PC business has become the world’s number one in this segment for the first time. Our smartphone business in China, which we started only two years ago, has again strengthened its number two position,” said Yang Yuanqing, Chairman and CEO of Lenovo. “More importantly, we not only grew rapidly, but also improved our profitability consistently, with pre-tax income reaching a record high this quarter. As emerging markets outside of China and Mature Transactional business have entered the profitable growth stage, and as our smartphone and other MIDH (mobile internet/digital home) business continue to grow, Lenovo’s overall profitability will continue to improve.”
- Lenovo China achieved US$3.9 billion in consolidated sales in the second fiscal quarter, an increase of 20 percent year-over-year, accounting for 44 percent of the Company’s worldwide sales. During the second quarter, Lenovo grew its number-one position in China, the world’s largest PC market, to a leading market share of 34 percent, up 2.4 points year-over-year. Lenovo’s PC shipments in China grew eight percent year-over-year in the quarter, a significant result given that the overall China PC market was flat. As the number one PC vendor in China, Lenovo’s PC shipments are greater than that of the next top four vendors combined. Of particular note, is Lenovo’s continued strength in China’s emerging cities, and the Company continues to build its reputation with other product offerings such as smart phones, tablets and smart TVs, as it leads China’s customers into the PC Plus era.
- In the Asia Pacific/Latin America region, Lenovo achieved a record market share of 11.5 percent in the second fiscal quarter, up 1.6 points year-over-year. In a PC market that was down ten percent year-over-year, the Company grew its PC shipments across the region by an impressive five percent. Lenovo was the leading PC vendor in Japan, the world’s fifth largest PC market, and number one in India as well, where the Company grew 31.8 percent and gained 4.8 share points year-over-year. In the Latin America countries (not including Brazil), Lenovo recorded its first-ever overall double-digit market share, while picking up 4.1 share points year-over-year. Consolidated sales across the region totaled US$1.8 billion for 21 percent of Lenovo’s worldwide sales.
- For the first-time ever, Lenovo in Europe Middle East/Africa achieved double-digit market share, ending the second fiscal quarter at 10.8 percent, an increase of 3.0 share points year-over-year. These gains helped Lenovo become the third-largest PC vendor in EMEA. Lenovo’s share gains were consistent throughout the region, growing in all markets. Among the highlights for the second quarter were the Company’s number one positions in Russia and Germany, where in the latter Lenovo gained 3.9 additional share points year-over-year. Although the overall industry was down eight percent across the region, Lenovo grew its PC shipments by 27 percent year-over-year, a stunning result. The Company had consolidated sales in the second quarter of US$1.8 billion, a year-over-year improvement of 12 percent, and good for 21 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales.
- Lenovo’s PC shipments in North America in the second fiscal quarter increased eight percent year-over-year, in a market that fell badly by about 12 percent. In this environment, the Company picked up 1.6 share points to a record high market share in the U.S.A. of 8.3 percent. Consolidated sales grew seven percent year-over-year to US$1.2 billion in the second quarter, or 14 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales. Triggered by a ten-times increase in its retail presence throughout the U.S.A, Lenovo saw significant sales gains in its consumer business there. Commercial account growth was strong there as well.
- For the first-time ever, Lenovo became the world’s largest supplier of Laptop PCs. The Company’s laptop shipments worldwide in the quarter were up 11.3 percent year-over-year, helping Lenovo gain 2.6 share points and achieve a record-high laptop market share of 16 percent. Across the industry, laptop shipments were down seven percent year-over-year. Lenovo’s laptop computers continued to be the largest contributor to the Company’s sales worldwide, generating 53 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. Consolidated sales for Lenovo’s laptop PC business worldwide in the second fiscal quarter totaled US$4.6 billion, an increase of three percent year-over-year. During the second quarter, Lenovo announced a breathtaking array of new products: ThinkPad X1 Carbon, ThinkPad T430u ultrabook, and ThinkPad Tablet 2, the company’s first tablet specifically geared for Windows 8. Last month, Lenovo caught the industry’s attention with its announcement of three new convertibles, Yoga 13, Lynx and Twist, tablets that flip, twist, fold and separate, and are designed for Windows 8.
- Consolidated sales of Lenovo Desktop PCs worldwide increased five percent year-over-year in the second fiscal quarter to US$2.8 billion, or 32 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. The Company’s desktop PC shipments worldwide in the second quarter increased 8.8 percent year-over-year worldwide, compared to an overall industry decrease of nine percent worldwide. As a result, Lenovo gained 2.6 share points year-over-year and achieved a record-high market share of 15 percent. During the second quarter, Lenovo announced its new IdeaCentre A520, a new all-in-one desktop PC featuring a compact 23-inch frameless 1080p display that supports multi-touch with a widely adjustable screen angle (from -5 to 90 degress flat) with perfect picture at any angle so users can watch movies, play touch-based games or enjoy video chat in any position.
- Entering its second full year of operations, Lenovo’s Mobile Internet Digital Home (MIDH) group is forging ahead in leaps and bounds, with consolidated sales of US$718 million, a 155 percent increase year-over-year in the second fiscal quarter, and eight percent of the Company’s overall sales. With smartphones and tablets leading the Company’s PC Plus charge, Lenovo has continued to outpace the hyper-growth in shipments in China, and is now the second largest vendor in China in each of these product categories. Lenovo has gained an incredible 12.5 share points in smartphones year-over-year in the second quarter for an overall market share of 14.2 percent in China. During the second quarter, Lenovo announced that it would begin selling smartphones in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam, and just last week, added India to the list.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$30 billion personal technology company – and one of the top two PC makers in the world -- serving customers in more than 160 countries. Dedicated to building exceptionally engineered PCs and mobile internet devices, Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly-efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services. Its product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations, and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smart phones. Lenovo, a global Fortune 500 company, has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.
*See IDC data, 3Q 2012
For the second quarter ended September 30, 2012
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
|Gross Profit Margin||12.1%||12.2%||-0.1pts|
|Other Non-Operating Expenses||(2)||(1)||47%|
|Profit for the period||163||145||13%|
|Profit attributable to Equity Holders||162||144||13%|
|EPS (US cents)|
If there is anything we have learned by now, is that every business paves their own unique path for releasing software- every pipeline, implementation and practices are a bit different, and DevOps comes in all shapes and sizes. Software delivery practices are often comprised of set of several complementing (or even competing) methodologies – such as leveraging Agile, DevOps and even a mix of ITIL, to create the combination that’s most suitable for your organization and that maximize your busines...
Apr. 28, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,711
Struggling to keep up with increasing application demand? Learn how Platform as a Service (PaaS) can streamline application development processes and make resource management easy.
Apr. 28, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,947
New Relic, Inc. has announced a set of new features across the New Relic Software Analytics Cloud that offer IT operations teams increased visibility, and the ability to diagnose and resolve performance problems quickly. The new features further IT operations teams’ ability to leverage data and analytics, as well as drive collaboration and a common, shared understanding between teams. Software teams are under pressure to resolve performance issues quickly and improve availability, as the comple...
Apr. 28, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,360
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, will discuss how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technol...
Apr. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,460
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
Apr. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 805
[session] Don’t Forget the Ops: Build Operations into Your Cloud By @BMCSoftware | @CloudExpo #Cloud
Many private cloud projects were built to deliver self-service access to development and test resources. While those clouds delivered faster access to resources, they lacked visibility, control and security needed for production deployments. In their session at 18th Cloud Expo, Steve Anderson, Product Manager at BMC Software, and Rick Lefort, Principal Technical Marketing Consultant at BMC Software, will discuss how a cloud designed for production operations not only helps accelerate developer...
Apr. 28, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 984
Join IBM June 8 at 18th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and learn how to innovate like a startup and scale for the enterprise. You need to deliver quality applications faster and cheaper, attract and retain customers with an engaging experience across devices, and seamlessly integrate your enterprise systems. And you can't take 12 months to do it.
Apr. 28, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,717
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,607
Based on the open source Cloud Foundry technology, IBM Bluemix is an open-standard, cloud-based platform for building, managing, and running applications of all types such as web, mobile, Big Data, and new smart devices. Bluemix abstracts and hides most of the complexities that are associated with hosting and managing cloud-based applications. As an application developer, you can focus on developing your application without having to manage the infrastructure that is required to host it. For mob...
Apr. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 925
The proper isolation of resources is essential for multi-tenant environments. The traditional approach to isolate resources is, however, rather heavyweight. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Igor Drobiazko, co-founder of elastic.io, will draw upon their own experience with operating a Docker container-based infrastructure on a large scale and present a lightweight solution for resource isolation using microservices. He will also discuss the implementation of microservices in data and applicat...
Apr. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,632
As you respond to increasing requests for new analytics, you need fast and flexible technology in your arsenal so that you can deploy the right workload to the right platform for the need at hand. Do you need self-service and fast time to value? Do you have data and application control and privacy needs, along with strict SLAs to meet? IBM dashDB™ is data warehouse technology powered by in-memory computing and in-database analytics that are designed for fast results, scalability and more.
Apr. 28, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,491
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,542
Peak 10, Inc., has announced the implementation of IT service management, a business process alignment initiative based on the widely adopted Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework. The implementation of IT service management enhances Peak 10’s current service-minded approach to IT delivery by propelling the company to deliver higher levels of personalized and prompt service. The majority of Peak 10’s operations employees have been trained and certified in the ITIL frame...
Apr. 28, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 775
The paradigm has shifted. A Gartner survey shows that 43% of organizations are using or plan to implement the Internet of Things in 2016. However, not just a handful of companies are still using the old-style ad-hoc trial-and-error ways, unaware of the critical barriers, paint points, traps, and hidden roadblocks. How can you become a winner? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan will present a methodical approach to guide the holistic adoption and enablement of IoT implementations. This ov...
Apr. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,490
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Apr. 28, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,441
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
Apr. 28, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,590
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it has become the most popular among the new wave of applications running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Relations at Redis Labs, will shares the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Apr. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 956
Up until last year, enterprises that were looking into cloud services usually undertook a long-term pilot with one of the large cloud providers, running test and dev workloads in the cloud. With cloud’s transition to mainstream adoption in 2015, and with enterprises migrating more and more workloads into the cloud and in between public and private environments, the single-provider approach must be revisited. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yoav Mor, multi-cloud solution evangelist at Cloudy...
Apr. 28, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,346
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 28, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,162
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 752