|By Business Wire||
|November 8, 2012 12:12 AM EST||
Lenovo Group today reported results for its second fiscal quarter ended September 30, 2012. Outgrowing the market in all geographies, Lenovo continued its push towards becoming the number one vendor in the PC industry, with record quarterly sales of $8.7 billion, an 11 percent increase year-over-year. While growing faster than the top four PC companies for three straight years, Lenovo also turned in another quarter of record pre-tax income at US$204 million, evidence that the Company continues to build upon its track record of profitable growth.
During the second fiscal quarter, Lenovo’s worldwide PC shipments grew 10.3 percent, in a difficult market that was down eight percent year-over-year, the 14th quarter in a row that the company has grown faster than the PC industry as a whole. In this challenging environment, Lenovo achieved its highest-ever worldwide market share of 15.6 percent*, gaining share points in every geography, every product category in which it competes, and in every respective customer segment.
This balanced growth has become a hallmark of Lenovo over the past three years, and is the result of the Company’s continued focus on its “protect and attack” strategy, whereby Lenovo strengthens its position in those places or markets where it enjoys a solid business, while simultaneously reaching outwards into new places or markets where opportunities to reach even more customers present themselves. Entering these new markets is essential to Lenovo continuing its position as a leader in the PC Plus era, where tablets, smartphones and smart TVs continue to gain traction and capture record customer acceptance.
In addition to its impressive share gains, Lenovo turned in net income of US$162 million in the second quarter, an increase of 13 percent year-over-year, with gross margin at 12.1 percent. Gross profit for the second fiscal quarter increased 11 percent year-over-year, to US$1.1 billion, while operating profit for the second quarter was US$206 million, a 24 percent increase year-over-year.
Basic earnings per share for the second fiscal quarter was 1.58 US cents, or 12.25 HK cents. Net cash reserves as of September 30, 2012, totaled US$3.6 billion. Lenovo’s Board of Directors declared an interim dividend of 4.5 HK cents per share.
As the PC Plus era continues to take shape, Lenovo made several bold moves during the second fiscal quarter to solidify its leadership position, announcing two significant acquisitions: CCE, widely known in Brazil as a leader in PCs and consumer electronics, which significantly expands Lenovo’s presence in the world’s third-largest PC market, including manufacturing capabilities; and Stoneware, a software company based in Indiana, focused on cloud computing, which will help Lenovo grow its capabilities for both commercial and consumer cloud offerings, particularly the ability to provide secure content across multiple devices in education and government sectors.
Both of these acquisitions came quickly on the heels of Lenovo’s announcement of a global partnership with EMC, forming a server technology development program to help drive innovation and extend Lenovo’s capabilities in x86 industry-standard servers. As part of this agreement, Lenovo will bring these servers to market on its own, and embed them in selected EMC storage systems over time. Just last week, Lenovo announced the formation of the Enterprise Product Group, a new business unit that will focus on expanding the Company’s server, storage, networking and software offerings geared to a variety of commercial customers, including large enterprises, small/medium businesses and system integrators.
Also during the second quarter, Lenovo announced that it was opening a manufacturing line in North Carolina, creating 115 new manufacturing jobs, boosting its competitive position as a global company with strong local roots.
“With the strong execution of our Protect and Attack strategy, Lenovo has continued its strong and balanced growth momentum. Our global PC market share reached another historic high, moving us closer to our dream of becoming the worldwide PC leader. With four years’ effort, our Consumer PC business has become the world’s number one in this segment for the first time. Our smartphone business in China, which we started only two years ago, has again strengthened its number two position,” said Yang Yuanqing, Chairman and CEO of Lenovo. “More importantly, we not only grew rapidly, but also improved our profitability consistently, with pre-tax income reaching a record high this quarter. As emerging markets outside of China and Mature Transactional business have entered the profitable growth stage, and as our smartphone and other MIDH (mobile internet/digital home) business continue to grow, Lenovo’s overall profitability will continue to improve.”
- Lenovo China achieved US$3.9 billion in consolidated sales in the second fiscal quarter, an increase of 20 percent year-over-year, accounting for 44 percent of the Company’s worldwide sales. During the second quarter, Lenovo grew its number-one position in China, the world’s largest PC market, to a leading market share of 34 percent, up 2.4 points year-over-year. Lenovo’s PC shipments in China grew eight percent year-over-year in the quarter, a significant result given that the overall China PC market was flat. As the number one PC vendor in China, Lenovo’s PC shipments are greater than that of the next top four vendors combined. Of particular note, is Lenovo’s continued strength in China’s emerging cities, and the Company continues to build its reputation with other product offerings such as smart phones, tablets and smart TVs, as it leads China’s customers into the PC Plus era.
- In the Asia Pacific/Latin America region, Lenovo achieved a record market share of 11.5 percent in the second fiscal quarter, up 1.6 points year-over-year. In a PC market that was down ten percent year-over-year, the Company grew its PC shipments across the region by an impressive five percent. Lenovo was the leading PC vendor in Japan, the world’s fifth largest PC market, and number one in India as well, where the Company grew 31.8 percent and gained 4.8 share points year-over-year. In the Latin America countries (not including Brazil), Lenovo recorded its first-ever overall double-digit market share, while picking up 4.1 share points year-over-year. Consolidated sales across the region totaled US$1.8 billion for 21 percent of Lenovo’s worldwide sales.
- For the first-time ever, Lenovo in Europe Middle East/Africa achieved double-digit market share, ending the second fiscal quarter at 10.8 percent, an increase of 3.0 share points year-over-year. These gains helped Lenovo become the third-largest PC vendor in EMEA. Lenovo’s share gains were consistent throughout the region, growing in all markets. Among the highlights for the second quarter were the Company’s number one positions in Russia and Germany, where in the latter Lenovo gained 3.9 additional share points year-over-year. Although the overall industry was down eight percent across the region, Lenovo grew its PC shipments by 27 percent year-over-year, a stunning result. The Company had consolidated sales in the second quarter of US$1.8 billion, a year-over-year improvement of 12 percent, and good for 21 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales.
- Lenovo’s PC shipments in North America in the second fiscal quarter increased eight percent year-over-year, in a market that fell badly by about 12 percent. In this environment, the Company picked up 1.6 share points to a record high market share in the U.S.A. of 8.3 percent. Consolidated sales grew seven percent year-over-year to US$1.2 billion in the second quarter, or 14 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales. Triggered by a ten-times increase in its retail presence throughout the U.S.A, Lenovo saw significant sales gains in its consumer business there. Commercial account growth was strong there as well.
- For the first-time ever, Lenovo became the world’s largest supplier of Laptop PCs. The Company’s laptop shipments worldwide in the quarter were up 11.3 percent year-over-year, helping Lenovo gain 2.6 share points and achieve a record-high laptop market share of 16 percent. Across the industry, laptop shipments were down seven percent year-over-year. Lenovo’s laptop computers continued to be the largest contributor to the Company’s sales worldwide, generating 53 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. Consolidated sales for Lenovo’s laptop PC business worldwide in the second fiscal quarter totaled US$4.6 billion, an increase of three percent year-over-year. During the second quarter, Lenovo announced a breathtaking array of new products: ThinkPad X1 Carbon, ThinkPad T430u ultrabook, and ThinkPad Tablet 2, the company’s first tablet specifically geared for Windows 8. Last month, Lenovo caught the industry’s attention with its announcement of three new convertibles, Yoga 13, Lynx and Twist, tablets that flip, twist, fold and separate, and are designed for Windows 8.
- Consolidated sales of Lenovo Desktop PCs worldwide increased five percent year-over-year in the second fiscal quarter to US$2.8 billion, or 32 percent of Lenovo’s total sales revenue. The Company’s desktop PC shipments worldwide in the second quarter increased 8.8 percent year-over-year worldwide, compared to an overall industry decrease of nine percent worldwide. As a result, Lenovo gained 2.6 share points year-over-year and achieved a record-high market share of 15 percent. During the second quarter, Lenovo announced its new IdeaCentre A520, a new all-in-one desktop PC featuring a compact 23-inch frameless 1080p display that supports multi-touch with a widely adjustable screen angle (from -5 to 90 degress flat) with perfect picture at any angle so users can watch movies, play touch-based games or enjoy video chat in any position.
- Entering its second full year of operations, Lenovo’s Mobile Internet Digital Home (MIDH) group is forging ahead in leaps and bounds, with consolidated sales of US$718 million, a 155 percent increase year-over-year in the second fiscal quarter, and eight percent of the Company’s overall sales. With smartphones and tablets leading the Company’s PC Plus charge, Lenovo has continued to outpace the hyper-growth in shipments in China, and is now the second largest vendor in China in each of these product categories. Lenovo has gained an incredible 12.5 share points in smartphones year-over-year in the second quarter for an overall market share of 14.2 percent in China. During the second quarter, Lenovo announced that it would begin selling smartphones in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam, and just last week, added India to the list.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$30 billion personal technology company – and one of the top two PC makers in the world -- serving customers in more than 160 countries. Dedicated to building exceptionally engineered PCs and mobile internet devices, Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly-efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services. Its product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations, and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smart phones. Lenovo, a global Fortune 500 company, has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.
*See IDC data, 3Q 2012
For the second quarter ended September 30, 2012
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
|Gross Profit Margin||12.1%||12.2%||-0.1pts|
|Other Non-Operating Expenses||(2)||(1)||47%|
|Profit for the period||163||145||13%|
|Profit attributable to Equity Holders||162||144||13%|
|EPS (US cents)|
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 26, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 13,708
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Feb. 26, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 4,765
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 26, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 6,212
Zerto exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Zerto is committed to keeping enterprise and cloud IT running 24/7 by providing innovative, simple, reliable and scalable business continuity software solutions. Through the Zerto Cloud Continuity Platform™, organizations can seamlessly move and protect virtualized workloads between public, private and hybrid clouds. The company’s flagship product, Zerto Virtual...
Feb. 26, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,738
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Feb. 26, 2017 12:00 AM EST Reads: 1,479
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 25, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,983
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Feb. 25, 2017 10:45 PM EST Reads: 8,588
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 25, 2017 10:30 PM EST Reads: 1,866
Due of the rise of Hadoop, many enterprises are now deploying their first small clusters of 10 to 20 servers. At this small scale, the complexity of operating the cluster looks and feels like general data center servers. It is not until the clusters scale, as they inevitably do, when the pain caused by the exponential complexity becomes apparent. We've seen this problem occur time and time again. In his session at Big Data Expo, Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ...
Feb. 25, 2017 09:45 PM EST Reads: 9,320
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Feb. 25, 2017 09:00 PM EST Reads: 9,125
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Feb. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 4,726
FinTech is the sum of financial and technology, and it’s one of the fastest growing tech industries. Total global investments in FinTech almost reached $50 billion last year, but there is still a great deal of confusion over what it is and what it means – especially as it applies to retirement. Building financial startups is not simple, but with the right team, technology and an innovative approach it can be an extremely interesting domain to disrupt. FinTech heralds a financial revolution that...
Feb. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,942
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 11,333
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,916
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 13,560
SYS-CON Events announced today that Addteq will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Addteq is one of the top 10 Platinum Atlassian Experts who specialize in DevOps, custom and continuous integration, automation, plugin development, and consulting for midsize and global firms. Addteq firmly believes that automation is essential for successful software releases. Addteq centers its products an...
Feb. 25, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 569
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 25, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,823
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Feb. 25, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,709
SYS-CON Events announced today that WineSOFT will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Seoul and Irvine, WineSOFT is an innovative software house focusing on internet infrastructure solutions. The venture started as a bootstrap start-up in 2010 by focusing on making the internet faster and more powerful. WineSOFT’s knowledge is based on the expertise of TCP/IP, VPN, SSL, peer-to-peer, mob...
Feb. 25, 2017 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,943
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 25, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,401