|By John Cowan||
|December 5, 2012 03:49 PM EST||
I spent last week in Las Vegas at the AWS re:Invent show and it was a great week – and not just because I love Vegas! As Co-Founder and CTO of 6fusion I spend a lot of time evaluating new cloud technologies and cloud trends, and then leveraging the best cloud technologies into our technology platform for our customers’ and partners’ benefit. We have an advanced cloud platform that is pushing the boundaries of infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) and cloud federation.
That’s one of the reasons I enjoyed the AWS re:Invent conference, because it’s great to see an industry leader and very large company like Amazon also pushing the boundaries of what’s next. For those that weren’t able to attend the conference, here are some highlights that I found interesting:
1. AWS launched 2 new services last week that are of interest:
First, the AWS data warehousing service they launched in beta and are calling Redshift is interesting not only because of the order of magnitude lower costs, but also because it is fully managed – data warehousing-as-a-service if you can call it that. Amazon takes care of all the set up, maintenance and scaling of the data warehouse.
Second, AWS Simple Workflow Service (SWS), also launched in beta, is a workflow service aimed at asynchronous and distributed processing needs for applications. This obviously encourage application development and deployment in AWS, but is also interesting because you don’t necessarily have to use AWS for the application. You can leverage SWS only for workflow processing-as-a-service without having to develop and coordinate tasks across distributed applications, again fully managed and maintained by Amazon.
2. Both of the services launched last week are indicative of a move by AWS toward a data-centric, IT in the cloud world where gathering, organizing and processing relevant data is becoming a competitive differentiator. AWS is moving this way by expanding platform-as-a-service (PaaS) on top of the IaaS foundation they have established. If you look at services such as Beanstalk, CloudFormation, Identity and Access Management (IAM), and others you see services that support the development, integration, operation and management of applications in AWS. These are PaaS services and cloud software applications that support building more robust applications on AWS. I expect to more of this coming in future product announcements from AWS.
3. The move to build more PaaS services is a highly logical move for AWS to drive additional usage of AWS infrastructure, something Andy Jassy (AWS SVP) commented on in his keynote presentation. He referenced a virtuous circle of growth AWS is experiencing where reduced prices leads to more customers, which leads to more AWS utilization, which leads to more IaaS that AWS builds, which gives AWS better economies of scale, which lowers infrastructure costs, which reduces prices and the circle continues. We’ve recently seen AWS and Google drop prices on compute and storage.
4. Andy Jassy also referenced a few other things in his keynote worth noting regarding the adoption of cloud computing and IaaS. First, you no longer need to guess about capacity anymore like you do when build your own infrastructure. I completely agree and this is a foundational component of 6fusion’s technology platform and the WAC. Getting detailed IT resource consumption data is key to understanding exactly how many resources you need regardless of where they are being sourced from. Second, companies can now stop spending resources on undifferentiated “heavy lifting” involved in infrastructure. As much as I hate to call infrastructure undifferentiated, he’s right. Today infrastructure and computing capacity does not differentiate – it’s critically important to run any organization but the day-to-day operation and maintenance of infrastructure doesn’t separate you from your competition. Third, even the smallest companies can go global in minutes. We see this as a key value proposition for IaaS and 6fusion’s iNodes in 4 countries on 3 continents attest to that. Customers absolutely see the value and necessity for putting workloads in different locations (see 6fusion’s recent UK expansion).
5. All of the items above are indicative of a larger trend within AWS and the IaaS market as a whole, which is the abstraction of the infrastructure and OS/hypervisor layers. The lines between machine and application are blurring – similar to the way PaaS is blurring lines across the industry as a whole. The world is moving to an app-centric model where you don’t have to worry about individual machines and servers – how many cores, how much storage, what processing power, etc is included in each machine and how many machines we need. Instead of worry about servers and capacity, we are moving to a world where we think about the amount of cloud computing power needed and for how long. Compute infrastructure is becoming a true on-demand utility compute-as-a-service. My fellow 6fusion Co-Founder John Cowan has a great series of blogs on utility computing.
Overall what I saw at the conference validated several trends that we at 6fusion are seeing and working on every day. I look forward to continuing to push the envelope in IaaS and cloud services in general. To that end, we are working on building some exciting new technology that will leverage AWS and 6fusion’s metering technology that we call Cloud Resource Meter. More on that to come in future posts.
6fusion Co-Founder and CTO
SYS-CON Events announced today that that Innodisk, the service-driven provider of industrial embedded flash and DRAM storage products and technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Innodisk is a service-driven provider of industrial embedded flash and DRAM storage products and technologies. With satisfied customers across the embedded, aerospace and defense, cloud storage markets an...
Apr. 27, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,945
SYS-CON Events announced today that WSM International (WSM), the world’s leading cloud and server migration services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WSM is a solutions integrator with a core focus on cloud and server migration, transformation and DevOps services.
Apr. 27, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,007
SYS-CON Events announced today that Site24x7, the cloud infrastructure monitoring service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Site24x7 is a cloud infrastructure monitoring service that helps monitor the uptime and performance of websites, online applications, servers, mobile websites and custom APIs. The monitoring is done from 50+ locations across the world and from various wireless carr...
Apr. 27, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,091
Sonus Networks introduced the Sonus WebRTC Services Solution, a virtualized Web Real-Time Communications (WebRTC) offer, purpose-built for the Cloud. The WebRTC Services Solution provides signaling from WebRTC-to-WebRTC applications and interworking from WebRTC-to-Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), delivering advanced real-time communications capabilities on mobile applications and on websites, which are accessible via a browser.
Apr. 27, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,004
SYS-CON Events announced today that Intelligent Systems Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1994, Intelligent Systems Services Inc. is located near Washington, DC, with representatives and partners nationwide. ISS’s well-established track record is based on the continuous pursuit of excellence in designing, implementing and supporting nationwide clients’ mission-cri...
Apr. 27, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,819
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
Apr. 27, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,587
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tufin, the market-leading provider of Security Policy Orchestration Solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As the market leader of Security Policy Orchestration, Tufin automates and accelerates network configuration changes while maintaining security and compliance. Tufin's award-winning Orchestration Suite™ gives IT organizations the power and a...
Apr. 27, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,625
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudian, Inc., is a Foster City, California - based software company specializing in cloud storage software. The main product is Cloudian, an Amazon S3-compliant cloud object storage platform, the bedrock of cloud computing systems, that enables c...
Apr. 27, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,756
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the ...
Apr. 27, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,665
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Apr. 27, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,277
SYS-CON Events announced today that On the Avenue Marketing Group, a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. On the Avenue Marketing Group (OTA) is a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers. On behalf of our clients, we attend thousands of fairs, festivals, exp...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,507
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,892
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture. Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists will discuss how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations m...
Apr. 26, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,051
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 26, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,492
of cloud, colocation, managed services and disaster recovery solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. TierPoint, LLC, is a leading national provider of information technology and data center services, including cloud, colocation, disaster recovery and managed IT services, with corporate headquarters in St. Louis, MO. TierPoint was formed through the strategic combination of some of t...
Apr. 26, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,667
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies, a global technology solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a leader in application performance and infrastructure management for commercial and federal markets. The company is headquartered in the United States, with a diverse and talented team of more than 350 employees around th...
Apr. 26, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,807
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable o...
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,535
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will mee...
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,934
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,515
Public Cloud IaaS started it's life in the developer and startup communities and has grown rapidly to a $20B+ industry, but it still pales in comparison to how much is spent worldwide on IT: $3.6 trillion. In fact, there are 8.6 million data centers worldwide, the reality is many small and medium sized business have server closets and colocation footprints filled with servers and storage gear. While on-premise environment virtualization may have peaked at 75%, the Public Cloud has lagged in ado...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,322