|By PR Newswire||
|December 10, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), the enterprise cloud computing (http://www.salesforce.com/cloudcomputing/) company, today announced that Obama for America's winning 2012 presidential campaign tapped Salesforce for many functions central to its 2012 operations. With the Salesforce Service Cloud, Salesforce Chatter and Salesforce Platform, President Barack Obama's successful campaign powered its constituent correspondence, contact center, battleground state budget management and surrogate event management functions. Hundreds of campaign workers and volunteers took advantage of the flexibility and massive scalability of salesforce.com's cloud computing platform to manage and respond to 5.7 million voter inquiries and 1.5 million voter contact records over a span of 13 months, including an enormous Election Day spike of 80,000 inquiries in a single day.
Comments on the News:
- "Key to the campaign's success was a technology platform that allowed us to engage with constituents and make data-driven decisions in real time," said Michael Slaby, chief information and innovation officer, Obama for America. "In addition, Salesforce massively scaled to meet our real-time engagement and decision-making needs."
- "The Obama campaign represented as talented a group of technology innovators working together that has ever been assembled," said Vivek Kundra, executive vice president, emerging markets, salesforce.com. "We're honored they chose salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies to deliver so many different solutions that were central to the first campaign built for the social era."
Salesforce Massively Scales and Helps the Obama Campaign Win
The Obama team needed to rapidly deploy a solution that would massively scale without purchasing or maintaining costly software, hardware or infrastructure. Speed, scale and cost were key factors in its decision to choose the enterprise cloud leader, salesforce.com. Salesforce.com's social, mobile and cloud technologies powered these mission-critical functions of the President's winning campaign:
- Constituent Correspondence: The campaign turned to the Service Cloud to manage 5.7 million voter inquiries over a period of just 13 months, averaging more than 14,000 inquiries per day and peaking at 80,000 inquiries in a single day on Election Day.
- The campaign deployed the Service Cloud to manage millions of incoming pieces of correspondence via email and the Web that were then classified, tagged and organized according to the interests, needs, or requests of the correspondents, who contacted the campaign about polling locations, the President's policy positions, donations, and hundreds of other topics.
- Hundreds of volunteers were given access to the app via the Salesforce Platform's field-level security, where they reviewed each inquiry and tagged those requiring resolution.
- Stories about how the President's policies had personally affected constituents were submitted into Salesforce. Automated workflow allowed staff to nominate promising stories for further promotion. One story submitted online was highlighted in President Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention.
- Contact Center: The Obama campaign selected the Service Cloud to power its contact center because it needed to move with tremendous speed, getting hundreds of volunteers instantly ramped up as the campaign's primary contact center agents. Volunteers from around the country logged into the Service Cloud and, using VoIP technology, became instant contact center agents able to respond to millions of voters from across the country. Deploying the Service Cloud's visual workflow and call scripting features, the Obama campaign enabled its volunteers to resolve inquiries quickly.
- State Campaigns Budget Management: Distributing scarce resources among the 50 states is critical in any campaign. A custom app built on the Salesforce Platform tracked "committed" and "actual" budget data from the states in real time, allowing state directors to maximize resources coming from the campaign and powering dashboards at campaign headquarters that allowed the finance team to make more strategic spending decisions. All of the collaboration in this app was powered by Salesforce Chatter, the #1 enterprise social network and the standard for how businesses and organizations collaborate. Chatter's social networking features such as profiles, real-time feeds and trending topics combined with the information and processes in Salesforce helped the Obama campaign collaborate around information in the budgeting app and make vital decisions more quickly.
- Surrogate Engagement and Event Management: Among the more difficult tasks for a presidential campaign is managing speaking requests and tracking appearances of thousands of individuals who serve as official campaign surrogates. More than 4,000 individuals requested to speak on behalf of the President's campaign during the 2012 election and the list included everyone from grassroots Democratic Party activists to some of America's most well-known celebrities from business, entertainment and politics. To successfully manage this daunting task, the Obama campaign developed another custom app on the Salesforce Platform. Using custom objects, the campaign designed an app that managed the vetting process for thousands of potential surrogates and tracked their appearances and created itineraries for more than 7,000 events across the country.
Businesses and Government Agencies Trust Salesforce to Build Their Social Front Office
More than 100,000 companies and government agencies including Burberry, GE Capital and the Texas Department of Information Resources have successfully deployed Salesforce technologies to connect with their customers, constituents, partners and employees in entirely new ways. This success extends to the public sector, where leading innovators across the U.S. federal government, as well as state and local governments in more than 90 percent of states, are using salesforce.com to transform government for the social era.
A worldwide social revolution is taking place today. There are more than 4.5 billion social network users across the globe, and they are having more than 150 million conversations every day on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and more. But the social revolution is no longer just a consumer movement, it is creating a customer revolution for every business and government agnecy. Salesforce.com's transformational cloud, social and mobile technologies are enabling businesses and government agencies to build their complete social front office. With six product lines -- Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, Marketing Cloud, Salesforce Chatter, Work.com, and the Salesforce Platform -- salesforce.com customers have the tools to unlock greater levels of productivity and growth between themselves and their customers and constituents.
If you'd like to tweet about the Obama campaign's winning success with Salesforce, here is a suggested tweet to send to your followers:
- Click to Tweet: How did @BarackObama's tech dream team power key functions of the winning 2012 campaign? With @Salesforce. More: http://bit.ly/VD5W2b
- Like salesforce.com on Facebook:http://facebook.com/salesforce
- Check out salesforce.com's blog post about Obama for America's success with Salesforce: http://blogs.salesforce.com/company/2012/12/campaigning-in-the-cloud.html
- View demos of Salesforce and more at http://youtube.com/salesforce
Founded in 1999, salesforce.com is the enterprisecloud computing leader. Using salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies, companies can connect with customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways. Based on salesforce.com's real-time, multitenant architecture, the company's platform and apps give customers the tools to create a social front office and revolutionize the way they sell, service, market, collaborate, work and innovate.
- Grow your business with the world's #1 sales app,Salesforce Sales Cloud
- Deliver amazing customer service with the award-winningSalesforce Service Cloud
- Listen, engage, advertise, and measure social media marketing with theSalesforce Marketing Cloud
- Achieve breakthrough collaboration and productivity withSalesforce Chatter
- Align, motivate and drive performance withSalesforce Work.com
- Build social and mobile cloud apps on theSalesforce Platform and extend success with the world's leading enterprise app marketplace, theAppExchange
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase salesforce.com applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "CRM." For more information please visithttp://salesforce.com, or call 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE.
Your business relies on your applications and your employees to stay in business. Whether you develop apps or manage business critical apps that help fuel your business, what happens when users experience sluggish performance? You and all technical teams across the organization – application, network, operations, among others, as well as, those outside the organization, like ISPs and third-party providers – are called in to solve the problem.
Sep. 28, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,622
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,467
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 28, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,799
Digital transformation is too big and important for our future success to not understand the rules that apply to it. The first three rules for winning in this age of hyper-digital transformation are: Advantages in speed, analytics and operational tempos must be captured by implementing an optimized information logistics system (OILS) Real-time operational tempos (IT, people and business processes) must be achieved Businesses that can "analyze data and act and with speed" will dominate those t...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,201
SYS-CON Events announced today the Kubernetes and Google Container Engine Workshop, being held November 3, 2016, in conjunction with @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele introduces participants to Kubernetes and Google Container Engine (GKE). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, students learn the key concepts and practices for deploying and maintainin...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,722
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,826
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,989
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,022
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,685
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,644
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,607
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Sep. 28, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 462
While DevOps promises a better and tighter integration among an organization’s development and operation teams and transforms an application life cycle into a continual deployment, Chef and Azure together provides a speedy, cost-effective and highly scalable vehicle for realizing the business values of this transformation. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, a Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, will present a unique opportunity to witness how Chef and Azure work tog...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,769
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,121
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,986
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,834
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,781
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,886
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,349
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,146