|By PR Newswire||
|December 10, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), the enterprise cloud computing (http://www.salesforce.com/cloudcomputing/) company, today announced that Obama for America's winning 2012 presidential campaign tapped Salesforce for many functions central to its 2012 operations. With the Salesforce Service Cloud, Salesforce Chatter and Salesforce Platform, President Barack Obama's successful campaign powered its constituent correspondence, contact center, battleground state budget management and surrogate event management functions. Hundreds of campaign workers and volunteers took advantage of the flexibility and massive scalability of salesforce.com's cloud computing platform to manage and respond to 5.7 million voter inquiries and 1.5 million voter contact records over a span of 13 months, including an enormous Election Day spike of 80,000 inquiries in a single day.
Comments on the News:
- "Key to the campaign's success was a technology platform that allowed us to engage with constituents and make data-driven decisions in real time," said Michael Slaby, chief information and innovation officer, Obama for America. "In addition, Salesforce massively scaled to meet our real-time engagement and decision-making needs."
- "The Obama campaign represented as talented a group of technology innovators working together that has ever been assembled," said Vivek Kundra, executive vice president, emerging markets, salesforce.com. "We're honored they chose salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies to deliver so many different solutions that were central to the first campaign built for the social era."
Salesforce Massively Scales and Helps the Obama Campaign Win
The Obama team needed to rapidly deploy a solution that would massively scale without purchasing or maintaining costly software, hardware or infrastructure. Speed, scale and cost were key factors in its decision to choose the enterprise cloud leader, salesforce.com. Salesforce.com's social, mobile and cloud technologies powered these mission-critical functions of the President's winning campaign:
- Constituent Correspondence: The campaign turned to the Service Cloud to manage 5.7 million voter inquiries over a period of just 13 months, averaging more than 14,000 inquiries per day and peaking at 80,000 inquiries in a single day on Election Day.
- The campaign deployed the Service Cloud to manage millions of incoming pieces of correspondence via email and the Web that were then classified, tagged and organized according to the interests, needs, or requests of the correspondents, who contacted the campaign about polling locations, the President's policy positions, donations, and hundreds of other topics.
- Hundreds of volunteers were given access to the app via the Salesforce Platform's field-level security, where they reviewed each inquiry and tagged those requiring resolution.
- Stories about how the President's policies had personally affected constituents were submitted into Salesforce. Automated workflow allowed staff to nominate promising stories for further promotion. One story submitted online was highlighted in President Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention.
- Contact Center: The Obama campaign selected the Service Cloud to power its contact center because it needed to move with tremendous speed, getting hundreds of volunteers instantly ramped up as the campaign's primary contact center agents. Volunteers from around the country logged into the Service Cloud and, using VoIP technology, became instant contact center agents able to respond to millions of voters from across the country. Deploying the Service Cloud's visual workflow and call scripting features, the Obama campaign enabled its volunteers to resolve inquiries quickly.
- State Campaigns Budget Management: Distributing scarce resources among the 50 states is critical in any campaign. A custom app built on the Salesforce Platform tracked "committed" and "actual" budget data from the states in real time, allowing state directors to maximize resources coming from the campaign and powering dashboards at campaign headquarters that allowed the finance team to make more strategic spending decisions. All of the collaboration in this app was powered by Salesforce Chatter, the #1 enterprise social network and the standard for how businesses and organizations collaborate. Chatter's social networking features such as profiles, real-time feeds and trending topics combined with the information and processes in Salesforce helped the Obama campaign collaborate around information in the budgeting app and make vital decisions more quickly.
- Surrogate Engagement and Event Management: Among the more difficult tasks for a presidential campaign is managing speaking requests and tracking appearances of thousands of individuals who serve as official campaign surrogates. More than 4,000 individuals requested to speak on behalf of the President's campaign during the 2012 election and the list included everyone from grassroots Democratic Party activists to some of America's most well-known celebrities from business, entertainment and politics. To successfully manage this daunting task, the Obama campaign developed another custom app on the Salesforce Platform. Using custom objects, the campaign designed an app that managed the vetting process for thousands of potential surrogates and tracked their appearances and created itineraries for more than 7,000 events across the country.
Businesses and Government Agencies Trust Salesforce to Build Their Social Front Office
More than 100,000 companies and government agencies including Burberry, GE Capital and the Texas Department of Information Resources have successfully deployed Salesforce technologies to connect with their customers, constituents, partners and employees in entirely new ways. This success extends to the public sector, where leading innovators across the U.S. federal government, as well as state and local governments in more than 90 percent of states, are using salesforce.com to transform government for the social era.
A worldwide social revolution is taking place today. There are more than 4.5 billion social network users across the globe, and they are having more than 150 million conversations every day on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and more. But the social revolution is no longer just a consumer movement, it is creating a customer revolution for every business and government agnecy. Salesforce.com's transformational cloud, social and mobile technologies are enabling businesses and government agencies to build their complete social front office. With six product lines -- Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, Marketing Cloud, Salesforce Chatter, Work.com, and the Salesforce Platform -- salesforce.com customers have the tools to unlock greater levels of productivity and growth between themselves and their customers and constituents.
If you'd like to tweet about the Obama campaign's winning success with Salesforce, here is a suggested tweet to send to your followers:
- Click to Tweet: How did @BarackObama's tech dream team power key functions of the winning 2012 campaign? With @Salesforce. More: http://bit.ly/VD5W2b
- Like salesforce.com on Facebook:http://facebook.com/salesforce
- Check out salesforce.com's blog post about Obama for America's success with Salesforce: http://blogs.salesforce.com/company/2012/12/campaigning-in-the-cloud.html
- View demos of Salesforce and more at http://youtube.com/salesforce
Founded in 1999, salesforce.com is the enterprisecloud computing leader. Using salesforce.com's social and mobile cloud technologies, companies can connect with customers, partners and employees in entirely new ways. Based on salesforce.com's real-time, multitenant architecture, the company's platform and apps give customers the tools to create a social front office and revolutionize the way they sell, service, market, collaborate, work and innovate.
- Grow your business with the world's #1 sales app,Salesforce Sales Cloud
- Deliver amazing customer service with the award-winningSalesforce Service Cloud
- Listen, engage, advertise, and measure social media marketing with theSalesforce Marketing Cloud
- Achieve breakthrough collaboration and productivity withSalesforce Chatter
- Align, motivate and drive performance withSalesforce Work.com
- Build social and mobile cloud apps on theSalesforce Platform and extend success with the world's leading enterprise app marketplace, theAppExchange
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase salesforce.com applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "CRM." For more information please visithttp://salesforce.com, or call 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE.
Software-driven innovation is becoming a primary approach to how businesses create and deliver new value to customers. A survey of 400 business and IT executives by the IBM Institute for Business Value showed businesses that are more effective at software delivery are also more profitable than their peers nearly 70 percent of the time (1). DevOps provides a way for businesses to remain competitive, applying lean and agile principles to software development to speed the delivery of software that ...
Nov. 20, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 450
What do a firewall and a fortress have in common? They are no longer strong enough to protect the valuables housed inside. Like the walls of an old fortress, the cracks in the firewall are allowing the bad guys to slip in - unannounced and unnoticed. By the time these thieves get in, the damage is already done and the network is already compromised. Intellectual property is easily slipped out the back door leaving no trace of forced entry. If we want to reign in on these cybercriminals, it's hig...
Nov. 20, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 712
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
Nov. 20, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 798
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 20, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 521
Bit6 today issued a challenge to the technology community implementing Web Real Time Communication (WebRTC). To leap beyond WebRTC’s significant limitations and fully leverage its underlying value to accelerate innovation, application developers need to consider the entire communications ecosystem.
Nov. 20, 2014 04:45 PM EST Reads: 435
The 3rd International @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to th...
Nov. 20, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,248
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Nov. 20, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,560
Cochlear Limited, the global leader in implantable hearing solutions, has selected AppZero for easy migration of its Microsoft Windows Server 2003 applications, a major priority for IT organizations before Microsoft ends support on July 14, 2015. AppZero software enables server application migration from old operating systems to new platforms or clouds and has been proven to be ten times faster, more reliable and efficient than alternative approaches.
Nov. 20, 2014 10:24 AM EST Reads: 565
Fundamentally, SDN is still mostly about network plumbing. While plumbing may be useful to tinker with, what you can do with your plumbing is far more intriguing. A rigid interpretation of SDN confines it to Layers 2 and 3, and that's reasonable. But SDN opens opportunities for novel constructions in Layers 4 to 7 that solve real operational problems in data centers. "Data center," in fact, might become anachronistic - data is everywhere, constantly on the move, seemingly always overflowing. Net...
Nov. 20, 2014 07:30 AM EST Reads: 1,140
SYS-CON Media announced today the IBM, which offers the world’s deepest portfolio of technologies and expertise that are transforming the future of work, has launched ad campaigns on SYS-CON’s numerous online magazines such as Cloud Computing Journal, DevOps Journal, Virtualization Journal, and IoT Journal. IBM's campaigns focus on application testing, improving application development processes, common challenges in testing composite applications, continuous testing as part of the DevOps lifec...
Nov. 19, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,308
Infor has announced a new feature Infor CloudSuite™ Aerospace & Defense (A&D) to aid compliance with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). The ITAR function will serve as a complementary function for new or existing Infor CloudSuite A&D customers, to facilitate compliance for Infor customers that are creating a US defense article or performing a US defense service and wish to benefit from cloud-services. The ITAR regulation serves to manage handling and access requirements for dat...
Nov. 19, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,037
To manage complex web services with lots of calls to the cloud, many businesses have invested in Application Performance Management (APM) and Network Performance Management (NPM) tools. Together APM and NPM tools are essential aids in improving a business's infrastructure required to support an effective web experience... but they are missing a critical component - Internet visibility. Internet connectivity has always played a role in customer access to web presence, but in the past few years u...
Nov. 19, 2014 02:03 PM EST Reads: 728
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, focused on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud platfo...
Nov. 18, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,761
As cloud gives an opportunity to businesses to buy services externally – how is cloud impacting your customers? In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Fabio Gori, Director of Worldwide Cloud Marketing at Cisco, provided answers to big questions: Do you see hybrid cloud as where the world is going? What benefits does it bring? And how does Cisco connect all of these clouds? He also discussed Intercloud and Cisco’s investment on it.
Nov. 18, 2014 09:00 PM EST Reads: 1,353
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Nov. 18, 2014 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,202
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Nov. 18, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,361
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Nov. 18, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,298
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what th...
Nov. 18, 2014 01:30 PM EST Reads: 1,915
Agility is top of mind for Cloud/Service providers and Enterprises alike. Policy Driven Data Center provides a policy model for application deployment by decoupling application needs from the underlying infrastructure primitives. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, David Klebanov, a Technical Solutions Architect with Cisco Systems, discussed how it differentiates from the software-defined top-down control by offering a declarative approach to allow faster and simpler application deployment. Davi...
Nov. 17, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 1,693