|By Marketwired .||
|January 7, 2013 12:03 PM EST||
FARMINGTON HILLS, MI -- (Marketwire) -- 01/07/13 -- What will be the top IT challenges and trends for the property/casualty, health, and life insurers in 2012? X by 2, a consulting firm specializing in the insurance industry, offers these five.
1. Progress toward data enlightenment: The technological, functional, and operational drivers are already in place, and the key for 2013 will be the insurance industry's ability to put these drivers together the right way. That means using familiar and unfamiliar data resources in different ways to identify trends, opportunities, and even catastrophes before they occur. The industry has emerged from the medieval limitations of proprietary data stores and feudal jousting over data ownership. It's now in the midst of a data renaissance, and the age of full-fledged data enlightenment is dawning.
The next great step is breaking the chains of what has bound the industry to the traditional ways of utilizing data for key metrics and performance indicators. Rather than an inward-focused view of the carrier, the era of data enlightenment will provide an outward-focused view -- the carrier as a reflection of its capabilities, performance, and principles. For those carriers that get there, the payoff is big: competitive advantage, underwriting profitability, and predictable loss expenses.
2. Twin peaks for health insurers: medical informatics and data exchanges will be the Holy Grail for proactive patient care and medical-expense management in 2013. Combining these two powerful converging trends will enable health insurance companies to exchange and use patient healthcare data to streamline care management and delivery practices to achieve better outcomes and lower costs -- and comply with the Affordable Care Act. Additionally, for 2013 informatics will be the foundation of an insurer's ability to explore and exploit innovative provider and member-facing strategies.
3. Leaving a legacy: The decades-long industry effort to make the leap from the tried-and-true mainframe platform to distributed, cloud, and mobile platforms remains an ongoing reality for the industry and will continue for 2013. The stakes remain high, and real progress is being made, as insurers that finalize their transition sooner rather than later will be competitively positioned for agility in their markets and responsiveness to their customers. With the economy rebounding, more insurers will find the money to modernize core systems. But a well-planned conversion strategy is crucial; pouring millions into a project doesn't ensure success.
4. Rise of the program manager: With so much on the line for the drama-free delivery of modernized platforms, top-level program and project quarterbacks will be at a premium for insurers in 2013. A unique combination of big-picture thinking, effective communication skills, and business process and technology know-how will become implementation imperatives. Insurers will compete furiously for this talent, and those that acquire a top-notch program manager will have their MVP for 2013.
5. Architecture spelled with a 'd' for delivery: For 2013, savvy insurance carriers will continue their focus and efforts on developing and deploying architectures that promote product and service agility, flexibility, and responsiveness. The key for 2013 will be delivering these platforms to production to enable the ability to dynamically configure and combine new products and services, and the ability to quickly develop and deliver new channel services and valued customer experiences.
X by 2 (www.xby2.com) is a technology company in Farmington Hills, Mich., specializing in software and data architecture and transformation projects for the insurance industry. It provides architecture design, planning, oversight, and turnaround services on enterprise-scale business technology initiatives. Clients include national and regional life, health and property-casualty insurers, and healthcare organizations.
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Jul. 28, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,092
UpGuard has become a member of the Center for Internet Security (CIS), and will continue to help businesses expand visibility into their cyber risk by providing hardening benchmarks to all customers. By incorporating these benchmarks, UpGuard's CSTAR solution builds on its lead in providing the most complete assessment of both internal and external cyber risk. CIS benchmarks are a widely accepted set of hardening guidelines that have been publicly available for years. Numerous solutions exist t...
Jul. 28, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 688
Up until last year, enterprises that were looking into cloud services usually undertook a long-term pilot with one of the large cloud providers, running test and dev workloads in the cloud. With cloud’s transition to mainstream adoption in 2015, and with enterprises migrating more and more workloads into the cloud and in between public and private environments, the single-provider approach must be revisited. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yoav Mor, multi-cloud solution evangelist at Cloudy...
Jul. 28, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 332
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered into a definitive agreement under which Verizon will acquire Yahoo's operating business for approximately $4.83 billion in cash, subject to customary closing adjustments. Yahoo informs, connects and entertains a global audience of more than 1 billion monthly active users** -- including 600 million monthly active mobile users*** through its search, communications and digital content products. Yahoo also co...
Jul. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 672
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jul. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,898
"Software-defined storage is a big problem in this industry because so many people have different definitions as they see fit to use it," stated Peter McCallum, VP of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,558
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:49 PM EDT Reads: 284
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 589
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,228
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? You need to discover patterns that are repeatable in vast quantities of data, understand their meaning, and implement scalable monitoring across multiple data streams in order to monetize the discoveries and insights. Motif discovery and deep learning platforms are emerging to visualize sensor data, to search for patterns and to build application that can monitor real time streams efficiently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, ...
Jul. 28, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,142
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, ...
Jul. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,145
Ovum, a leading technology analyst firm, has published an in-depth report, Ovum Decision Matrix: Selecting a DevOps Release Management Solution, 2016–17. The report focuses on the automation aspects of DevOps, Release Management and compares solutions from the leading vendors.
Jul. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,793
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,052
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,278
Choosing the right cloud for your workloads is a balancing act that can cost your organization time, money and aggravation - unless you get it right the first time. Economics, speed, performance, accessibility, administrative needs and security all play a vital role in dictating your approach to the cloud. Without knowing the right questions to ask, you could wind up paying for capacity you'll never need or underestimating the resources required to run your applications.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 587
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 825
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 28, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,410
Security, data privacy, reliability, and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house, client-hosted environments to a cloud platform. Quality assurance plays a vital role in ensuring that the appropriate level of risk assessment, verification, and validation takes place to ensure business continuity during the migration to a new cloud platform.
Jul. 28, 2016 09:28 AM EDT Reads: 328
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,615
[webcast] Mastering DevOps Automation | @DevOpsSummit @IBMDevOps #IBM #Cloud #DevOps #ContinuousDelivery
Deploying applications in hybrid cloud environments is hard work. Your team spends most of the time maintaining your infrastructure, configuring dev/test and production environments, and deploying applications across environments – which can be both time consuming and error prone. But what if you could automate provisioning and deployment to deliver error free environments faster? What could you do with your free time?
Jul. 28, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 370