|By Marketwired .||
|January 7, 2013 12:03 PM EST||
FARMINGTON HILLS, MI -- (Marketwire) -- 01/07/13 -- What will be the top IT challenges and trends for the property/casualty, health, and life insurers in 2012? X by 2, a consulting firm specializing in the insurance industry, offers these five.
1. Progress toward data enlightenment: The technological, functional, and operational drivers are already in place, and the key for 2013 will be the insurance industry's ability to put these drivers together the right way. That means using familiar and unfamiliar data resources in different ways to identify trends, opportunities, and even catastrophes before they occur. The industry has emerged from the medieval limitations of proprietary data stores and feudal jousting over data ownership. It's now in the midst of a data renaissance, and the age of full-fledged data enlightenment is dawning.
The next great step is breaking the chains of what has bound the industry to the traditional ways of utilizing data for key metrics and performance indicators. Rather than an inward-focused view of the carrier, the era of data enlightenment will provide an outward-focused view -- the carrier as a reflection of its capabilities, performance, and principles. For those carriers that get there, the payoff is big: competitive advantage, underwriting profitability, and predictable loss expenses.
2. Twin peaks for health insurers: medical informatics and data exchanges will be the Holy Grail for proactive patient care and medical-expense management in 2013. Combining these two powerful converging trends will enable health insurance companies to exchange and use patient healthcare data to streamline care management and delivery practices to achieve better outcomes and lower costs -- and comply with the Affordable Care Act. Additionally, for 2013 informatics will be the foundation of an insurer's ability to explore and exploit innovative provider and member-facing strategies.
3. Leaving a legacy: The decades-long industry effort to make the leap from the tried-and-true mainframe platform to distributed, cloud, and mobile platforms remains an ongoing reality for the industry and will continue for 2013. The stakes remain high, and real progress is being made, as insurers that finalize their transition sooner rather than later will be competitively positioned for agility in their markets and responsiveness to their customers. With the economy rebounding, more insurers will find the money to modernize core systems. But a well-planned conversion strategy is crucial; pouring millions into a project doesn't ensure success.
4. Rise of the program manager: With so much on the line for the drama-free delivery of modernized platforms, top-level program and project quarterbacks will be at a premium for insurers in 2013. A unique combination of big-picture thinking, effective communication skills, and business process and technology know-how will become implementation imperatives. Insurers will compete furiously for this talent, and those that acquire a top-notch program manager will have their MVP for 2013.
5. Architecture spelled with a 'd' for delivery: For 2013, savvy insurance carriers will continue their focus and efforts on developing and deploying architectures that promote product and service agility, flexibility, and responsiveness. The key for 2013 will be delivering these platforms to production to enable the ability to dynamically configure and combine new products and services, and the ability to quickly develop and deliver new channel services and valued customer experiences.
X by 2 (www.xby2.com) is a technology company in Farmington Hills, Mich., specializing in software and data architecture and transformation projects for the insurance industry. It provides architecture design, planning, oversight, and turnaround services on enterprise-scale business technology initiatives. Clients include national and regional life, health and property-casualty insurers, and healthcare organizations.
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Jul. 28, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,649
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, explained the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is rele...
Jul. 27, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,315
[video] Logging and Monitoring with @Sematext Founder @OtisG | @DevOpsSummit #DevOps #Logging #Monitoring
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 968
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, S...
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,024
With SaaS use rampant across organizations, how can IT departments track company data and maintain security? More and more departments are commissioning their own solutions and bypassing IT. A cloud environment is amorphous and powerful, allowing you to set up solutions for all of your user needs: document sharing and collaboration, mobile access, e-mail, even industry-specific applications. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Shawn Mills, President and a founder of Green House Data, discussed h...
Jul. 27, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 181
"Our biggest growth area has been the security services, the managed services - the things that differentiate us in the market that there is no client that's too small and there's no client that's too big," explained Paul Mazzucco, Chief Security Officer at TierPoint, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 306
The Cloud industry has moved from being more than just being able to provide infrastructure and management services on the Cloud. Enter a new era of Cloud computing where monetization’s services through the Cloud are an essential piece of strategy to feed your organizations bottom-line, your revenue and Profitability. In their session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed how to easily o...
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 330
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 517
[slides] A New Architecture for the Internet of Things By @JKirklan | @ThingsExpo @RedHatNews #IoT #M2M #InternetOfThings
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,332
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 429
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,223
"We do data integration for B2B also application to application, and we do data management and enable Big Data," explained Pat Adamiak, Vice President, Product Marketing at Liaison Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 299
"We specialize in testing. DevOps is all about continuous delivery and accelerating the delivery pipeline and there is no continuous delivery without testing," noted Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect at Spirent Communications, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 326
Take the Long View with Digital Transformation By @IoT2040 | @ThingsExpo #IoT #M2M #API #Microservices #InternetOfThings
Digital Transformation is the ultimate goal of cloud computing and related initiatives. The phrase is certainly not a precise one, and as subject to hand-waving and distortion as any high-falutin' terminology in the world of information technology. Yet it is an excellent choice of words to describe what enterprise IT—and by extension, organizations in general—should be working to achieve. Digital Transformation means: handling all the data types being found and created in the organizat...
Jul. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,034
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect t...
Jul. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,138
[session] The Container New World By @KeGilpin | @DevOpsSummit #DevOps #Docker #Containers #Microservices
Containers are changing the security landscape for software development and deployment. As with any security solutions, security approaches that work for developers, operations personnel and security professionals is a requirement. In his session at DevOps Summit, Kevin Gilpin, CTO and Co-Founder of Conjur, will discuss various security considerations for container-based infrastructure and related DevOps workflows.
Jul. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,028
In the midst of the widespread popularity and adoption of cloud computing, it seems like everything is being offered “as a Service” these days: Infrastructure? Check. Platform? You bet. Software? Absolutely. Toaster? It’s only a matter of time. With service providers positioning vastly differing offerings under a generic “cloud” umbrella, it’s all too easy to get confused about what’s actually being offered. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Kevin Hazard, Director of Digital Content for SoftL...
Jul. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,605
"Vicom Computer Services is a service provider and a value-added reseller and we provide technology solutions, infrastructure solutions, security and management services solutions," stated Amitava Das, Chief Technology Officer at Vicom Computer Services, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 934
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a software development company, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software development company with representative offices in Atlanta (US), Sheffield (UK) and Würzburg (Germany); and development centers in Ukraine. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobi...
Jul. 27, 2015 11:45 AM EDT
"Alert Logic is a managed security service provider that basically deploys technologies, but we support those technologies with the people and process behind it," stated Stephen Coty, Chief Security Evangelist at Alert Logic, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 257