|By Bob Gourley||
|January 23, 2013 10:17 AM EST||
Here are the top cyber news and stories of the day.
- Gartner: Cloud security growth to overtake on-premise by 2015 - Gartner believes that over the next three years, the cyber security market will change significantly. The analysts believe that 10% of enterprise security capabilities will be delivered via cloud computing by 2015. “Cost reduction, flexibility of deployment across multiple IT environments, and fast implementation and product updates [are] among major factors driving demand,” said Gartner in a statement. Via Cloud Pro, more here.
- Issa: Federal government needs ‘IT revolution’ - The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform extended its campaign on federal government technology spending to YouTube with a new video that calls for an “IT revolution.” The video claims 80 percent of federal IT projects are over budget or never completed and that the government wastes nearly $20 billion a year on IT spending. Via FedScoop, more here.
- Fraud alert: Bold new ATM schemes prompt warnings – A 10 January Visa warning to financial industries warned of criminal hackers that had penetrated internal networks of financial institutions. “In some instances over $500K USD has been withdrawn on a single card in less than 24 hours,” the advisory reads. This advisory was obtained by the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Via Equities.com, more here.
- Spam hits five-year low while phishing scams target Facebook – Experts at Kaspersky labs say that email spam has hit a five-year low. They believe this is due to the increase in spam filters by either software or webmail servers. As well, attacks on social networks, most notably Facebook and Twitter are growing (and getting more creative). Via Geektown, more here.
- Android malware potentially stole up to 450,000 pieces of personal data: Symantec - a fake Android app store is thought to have stolen between 75k and 450k pieces of personal data according to Symantec. The store was called Android Express’s Play, and had more than 3,000 visits between 13-20 January. This only underscores the complicity most users have in Android Malware attacks. Via ComputerWorld, more here.
- Federal spending not all bleak in S.A. - The Air Force Space Command put out word last week that it wants the 24th Air Force, based at Joint Base San Antonio–Lackland and known as the Air Force’s Cyber Command, to add 1,000 positions on top of its existing 6,000, starting in 2014. Cyber spending is one portion which might not be affected by the sequestration. Via My San Antonio, more here.
- Virut Botnet Goes Down - the Spamhaus organization took down the Virut Botnet last week. It was over 300k machines strong. This botnet would connect to an IRC chat server and await instruction. Via ISS Source, more here.
- The White House says open data is something other agencies do - The White House is apparently cutting out the transparency and openness that they have claimed to espouse. Apparently they are not releasing nearly as many logs as people wish, especially logs pertaining to CIO meetings. Via FierceGovernmentIT, more here.
Over the past year, Datical has had amazing success with our flagship product, Datical DB. We’ve seen multiple visionary, sector-leading companies select Datical DB to drive their Application Schema changes. Now that the number has grown rapidly over the past year, we can begin to see patterns in why customers choose Datical DB. One of them turns out to be pretty emblematic of our other customers. So, let's examine the reasons why they chose to adopt Datical DB.
Jan. 30, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 550
At 15th Cloud Expo, Shrikant Pattathil, Executive Vice President at Harbinger Systems, demos a video delivery platform that helps you do interactive videos. He discusses how Harbinger is accomplishing it in the cloud world, the problems they faced and the choices they made to get around these problems.
Jan. 30, 2015 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,625
Want to enable self-service provisioning of application environments in minutes that mirror production? Can you automatically provide rich data with code-level detail back to the developers when issues occur in production? In his session at DevOps Summit, David Tesar, Microsoft Technical Evangelist on Microsoft Azure and DevOps, will discuss how to accomplish this and more utilizing technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Visual Studio online, and Application Insights in this demo-heavy session.
Jan. 30, 2015 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,591
Log data provides the most granular view into what is happening across your systems, applications, and end users. Logs can show you where the issues are in real-time, and provide a historical trending view over time. Logs give you the whole picture. Logentries, a log management and analytics service built for the cloud, has announced a new integration with Slack, the team communication platform, to enable real-time system and application monitoring. Users of both services can now receive real-...
Jan. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 878
Entuity®, a provider of enterprise-class network management solutions, today announced that it solidifies its position as a market leader through global enterprise customer acquisitions and a refined channel strategy. In 2014, Entuity increased new license revenues in EMEA by over 75 percent, and LATAM by over 125 percent as customers embraced Entuity for its highly automated solution and unified architecture. Entuity’s refined channel strategy focuses on even deeper strategic alignment with ke...
Jan. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 637
CloudBees, Inc., has announced a $23.5 million financing round, led by longtime CloudBees investor Lightspeed Venture Partners. Existing investors Matrix Partners, Verizon Ventures and Blue Cloud Ventures also participated in the round. The latest funding announcement follows earlier rounds of $4 million, $10.5 million and $10.8 million, bringing the total investment in CloudBees to just under $50 million since the company’s inception in 2010. Previous venture investment rounds were led by Ma...
Jan. 30, 2015 04:45 PM EST Reads: 630
We are all here because we are sold on the transformative promise of The Cloud. But what good is all of this ephemeral, on-demand infrastructure if your usage doesn't actually improve the agility and speed of your business? How must Operations adapt in order to avoid stifling your Cloud initiative? In his session at DevOps Summit, Damon Edwards, co-founder and managing partner of the DTO Solutions, will highlight the successful organizational, process, and tooling patterns of high-performing c...
Jan. 30, 2015 04:15 PM EST Reads: 2,839
“The year of the cloud – we have no idea when it's really happening but we think it's happening now. For those technology providers like Zentera that are helping enterprises move to the cloud - it's been fun to watch," noted Mike Loftus, VP Product Management and Marketing at Zentera Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 2,291
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the ...
Jan. 30, 2015 03:45 PM EST Reads: 3,118
"ElasticBox is an enterprise company that makes it very easy for developers and IT ops to collaborate to develop, build and deploy applications on any cloud - private, public or hybrid," stated Monish Sharma, VP of Customer Success at ElasticBox, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 2,774
Agility is top of mind for Cloud/Service providers and Enterprises alike. Policy Driven Data Center provides a policy model for application deployment by decoupling application needs from the underlying infrastructure primitives. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, David Klebanov, a Technical Solutions Architect with Cisco Systems, discussed how it differentiates from the software-defined top-down control by offering a declarative approach to allow faster and simpler application deployment. Davi...
Jan. 30, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,384
Cloud Expo 2014 TV commercials will feature @ThingsExpo, which was launched in June, 2014 at New York City's Javits Center as the largest 'Internet of Things' event in the world.
Jan. 30, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 3,497
Cloud Technology Partners on Wednesday announced it has been recognized by the Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards as one of the Best Amazon Web Services (AWS) Consulting Partners. Selected by the editors of TechTarget's SearchDataCenter.com, and by votes from customers and strategic channel partners, the companies acknowledged by the Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards represent the top providers of cloud consulting services for AWS including application migration, application development, inf...
Jan. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,513
“Will Jaya is a direct source for server integration and storage solutions. If you are looking for any specific configurations for a project we can help you configure based on your needs and requirements," explained Netty Goya, CEO of Will Jaya, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,668
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 02:45 PM EST Reads: 2,526
In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, John Meza, Product Engineer at Esri, showed how Esri products hook into Hadoop cluster to allow you to do spatial analysis on the spatial data within your cluster, and he demonstrated rendering from a data center with ArcGIS Pro, a new product that has a brand new rendering engine.
Jan. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,754
"Blue Box has been around for 10-11 years, and last year we launched Blue Box Cloud. We like the term 'Private Cloud as a Service' because we think that embodies what we are launching as a product - it's a managed hosted private cloud," explained Giles Frith, Vice President of Customer Operations at Blue Box, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,713
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,685
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Jan. 30, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,654
Performance is the intersection of power, agility, control, and choice. If you value performance, and more specifically consistent performance, you need to look beyond simple virtualized compute. Many factors need to be considered to create a truly performant environment. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, discussed how to take advantage of a multitude of compute options and platform features to make cloud the cornerstone of your onlin...
Jan. 30, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,221