|By Bob Gourley||
|January 23, 2013 10:17 AM EST||
Here are the top cyber news and stories of the day.
- Gartner: Cloud security growth to overtake on-premise by 2015 - Gartner believes that over the next three years, the cyber security market will change significantly. The analysts believe that 10% of enterprise security capabilities will be delivered via cloud computing by 2015. “Cost reduction, flexibility of deployment across multiple IT environments, and fast implementation and product updates [are] among major factors driving demand,” said Gartner in a statement. Via Cloud Pro, more here.
- Issa: Federal government needs ‘IT revolution’ - The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform extended its campaign on federal government technology spending to YouTube with a new video that calls for an “IT revolution.” The video claims 80 percent of federal IT projects are over budget or never completed and that the government wastes nearly $20 billion a year on IT spending. Via FedScoop, more here.
- Fraud alert: Bold new ATM schemes prompt warnings – A 10 January Visa warning to financial industries warned of criminal hackers that had penetrated internal networks of financial institutions. “In some instances over $500K USD has been withdrawn on a single card in less than 24 hours,” the advisory reads. This advisory was obtained by the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Via Equities.com, more here.
- Spam hits five-year low while phishing scams target Facebook – Experts at Kaspersky labs say that email spam has hit a five-year low. They believe this is due to the increase in spam filters by either software or webmail servers. As well, attacks on social networks, most notably Facebook and Twitter are growing (and getting more creative). Via Geektown, more here.
- Android malware potentially stole up to 450,000 pieces of personal data: Symantec - a fake Android app store is thought to have stolen between 75k and 450k pieces of personal data according to Symantec. The store was called Android Express’s Play, and had more than 3,000 visits between 13-20 January. This only underscores the complicity most users have in Android Malware attacks. Via ComputerWorld, more here.
- Federal spending not all bleak in S.A. - The Air Force Space Command put out word last week that it wants the 24th Air Force, based at Joint Base San Antonio–Lackland and known as the Air Force’s Cyber Command, to add 1,000 positions on top of its existing 6,000, starting in 2014. Cyber spending is one portion which might not be affected by the sequestration. Via My San Antonio, more here.
- Virut Botnet Goes Down - the Spamhaus organization took down the Virut Botnet last week. It was over 300k machines strong. This botnet would connect to an IRC chat server and await instruction. Via ISS Source, more here.
- The White House says open data is something other agencies do - The White House is apparently cutting out the transparency and openness that they have claimed to espouse. Apparently they are not releasing nearly as many logs as people wish, especially logs pertaining to CIO meetings. Via FierceGovernmentIT, more here.
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 27, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,610
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jul. 27, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,846
[webcast] Continuous Delivery in the Enterprise | @DevOpsSummit @IBMDevOps #IBM #DevOps #ContinuousDelivery
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Jul. 27, 2016 04:18 PM EDT Reads: 103
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 27, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,100
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,733
[session] Throwing Away the Codebase By @ReadyTalk | @CloudExpo #Cloud #DevOps #DigitalTransformation
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Jul. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,048
"Software-defined storage is a big problem in this industry because so many people have different definitions as they see fit to use it," stated Peter McCallum, VP of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,514
[webcast] Mastering DevOps Automation | @DevOpsSummit @IBMDevOps #IBM #Cloud #DevOps #ContinuousDelivery
Deploying applications in hybrid cloud environments is hard work. Your team spends most of the time maintaining your infrastructure, configuring dev/test and production environments, and deploying applications across environments – which can be both time consuming and error prone. But what if you could automate provisioning and deployment to deliver error free environments faster? What could you do with your free time?
Jul. 27, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 259
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Jul. 27, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,187
SYS-CON Events announced today the Kubernetes and Google Container Engine Workshop, being held November 3, 2016, in conjunction with @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele introduces participants to Kubernetes and Google Container Engine (GKE). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, students learn the key concepts and practices for deploying and maintainin...
Jul. 27, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 838
The competitive landscape of the global cloud computing market in the healthcare industry is crowded due to the presence of a large number of players. The large number of participants has led to the fragmented nature of the market. Some of the major players operating in the global cloud computing market in the healthcare industry are Cisco Systems Inc., Carestream Health Inc., Carecloud Corp., AGFA Healthcare, IBM Corp., Cleardata Networks, Merge Healthcare Inc., Microsoft Corp., Intel Corp., an...
Jul. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,036
[guide] Cloud Analytics for Dummies | @CloudExpo @Informatica #API #Cloud #Analytics #BusinessIntelligence
Cloud analytics is dramatically altering business intelligence. Some businesses will capitalize on these promising new technologies and gain key insights that’ll help them gain competitive advantage. And others won’t. Whether you’re a business leader, an IT manager, or an analyst, we want to help you and the people you need to influence with a free copy of “Cloud Analytics for Dummies,” the essential guide to this explosive new space for business intelligence.
Jul. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 857
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 902
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,232
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 706
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Jul. 27, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 624
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, ...
Jul. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,073
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,224
Hostway Services, Inc. and WSM International have partnered to deliver trouble free migration services for any organization that wishes to bring their IT infrastructure to Hostway's Azure managed cloud services. WSM is the leader in providing turn-key IT migration services since 2003 and is now the preferred provider to any Hostway customer that is seeking to move its computer infrastructure to the Hostway Azure-based cloud.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 303
Ovum, a leading technology analyst firm, has published an in-depth report, Ovum Decision Matrix: Selecting a DevOps Release Management Solution, 2016–17. The report focuses on the automation aspects of DevOps, Release Management and compares solutions from the leading vendors.
Jul. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,740