|By Bob Gourley||
|January 23, 2013 10:17 AM EST||
Here are the top cyber news and stories of the day.
- Gartner: Cloud security growth to overtake on-premise by 2015 - Gartner believes that over the next three years, the cyber security market will change significantly. The analysts believe that 10% of enterprise security capabilities will be delivered via cloud computing by 2015. “Cost reduction, flexibility of deployment across multiple IT environments, and fast implementation and product updates [are] among major factors driving demand,” said Gartner in a statement. Via Cloud Pro, more here.
- Issa: Federal government needs ‘IT revolution’ - The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform extended its campaign on federal government technology spending to YouTube with a new video that calls for an “IT revolution.” The video claims 80 percent of federal IT projects are over budget or never completed and that the government wastes nearly $20 billion a year on IT spending. Via FedScoop, more here.
- Fraud alert: Bold new ATM schemes prompt warnings – A 10 January Visa warning to financial industries warned of criminal hackers that had penetrated internal networks of financial institutions. “In some instances over $500K USD has been withdrawn on a single card in less than 24 hours,” the advisory reads. This advisory was obtained by the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Via Equities.com, more here.
- Spam hits five-year low while phishing scams target Facebook – Experts at Kaspersky labs say that email spam has hit a five-year low. They believe this is due to the increase in spam filters by either software or webmail servers. As well, attacks on social networks, most notably Facebook and Twitter are growing (and getting more creative). Via Geektown, more here.
- Android malware potentially stole up to 450,000 pieces of personal data: Symantec - a fake Android app store is thought to have stolen between 75k and 450k pieces of personal data according to Symantec. The store was called Android Express’s Play, and had more than 3,000 visits between 13-20 January. This only underscores the complicity most users have in Android Malware attacks. Via ComputerWorld, more here.
- Federal spending not all bleak in S.A. - The Air Force Space Command put out word last week that it wants the 24th Air Force, based at Joint Base San Antonio–Lackland and known as the Air Force’s Cyber Command, to add 1,000 positions on top of its existing 6,000, starting in 2014. Cyber spending is one portion which might not be affected by the sequestration. Via My San Antonio, more here.
- Virut Botnet Goes Down - the Spamhaus organization took down the Virut Botnet last week. It was over 300k machines strong. This botnet would connect to an IRC chat server and await instruction. Via ISS Source, more here.
- The White House says open data is something other agencies do - The White House is apparently cutting out the transparency and openness that they have claimed to espouse. Apparently they are not releasing nearly as many logs as people wish, especially logs pertaining to CIO meetings. Via FierceGovernmentIT, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Jul. 29, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 413
[session] The Container New World By @KeGilpin | @DevOpsSummit #DevOps #Docker #Containers #Microservices
Containers are changing the security landscape for software development and deployment. As with any security solutions, security approaches that work for developers, operations personnel and security professionals is a requirement. In his session at DevOps Summit, Kevin Gilpin, CTO and Co-Founder of Conjur, will discuss various security considerations for container-based infrastructure and related DevOps workflows.
Jul. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,053
[video] Infrastructure as a Toolbox By @SoftLayer at @CloudExpo New York | #IoT #API #Containers #Microservices
Countless business models have spawned from the IaaS industry. Resell Web hosting, blogs, public cloud, and on and on. With the overwhelming amount of tools available to us, it's sometimes easy to overlook that many of them are just new skins of resources we've had for a long time. In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, Phil Jackson, Lead Technology Evangelist at SoftLayer, broke down what we've got to work with and discuss the benefits and pitfalls to discover how we can best use them to d...
Jul. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,943
Container technology is sending shock waves through the world of cloud computing. Heralded as the 'next big thing,' containers provide software owners a consistent way to package their software and dependencies while infrastructure operators benefit from a standard way to deploy and run them. Containers present new challenges for tracking usage due to their dynamic nature. They can also be deployed to bare metal, virtual machines and various cloud platforms. How do software owners track the usag...
Jul. 29, 2015 12:08 PM EDT
"We do data integration for B2B also application to application, and we do data management and enable Big Data," explained Pat Adamiak, Vice President, Product Marketing at Liaison Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 325
The Cloud industry has moved from being more than just being able to provide infrastructure and management services on the Cloud. Enter a new era of Cloud computing where monetization’s services through the Cloud are an essential piece of strategy to feed your organizations bottom-line, your revenue and Profitability. In their session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed how to easily o...
Jul. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 355
Chuck Piluso presented a study of cloud adoption trends and the power and flexibility of IBM Power and Pureflex cloud solutions. Prior to Secure Infrastructure and Services, Mr. Piluso founded North American Telecommunication Corporation, a facilities-based Competitive Local Exchange Carrier licensed by the Public Service Commission in 10 states, serving as the company's chairman and president from 1997 to 2000. Between 1990 and 1997, Mr. Piluso served as chairman & founder of International Te...
Jul. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 257
[video] An Interview with @ProfitBricksUSA CEO @AchimWeiss | @CloudExpo #DevOps #Docker #Containers #Microservices
"ProfitBricks was founded in 2010 and we are the painless cloud - and we are also the Infrastructure as a Service 2.0 company," noted Achim Weiss, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder of ProfitBricks, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 29, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,103
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a software development company, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software development company with representative offices in Atlanta (US), Sheffield (UK) and Würzburg (Germany); and development centers in Ukraine. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobi...
Jul. 29, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 178
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Jul. 29, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,661
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jul. 29, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,722
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, explained the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is rele...
Jul. 28, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,356
[video] Logging and Monitoring with @Sematext Founder @OtisG | @DevOpsSummit #DevOps #Logging #Monitoring
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 28, 2015 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,010
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 28, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 622
[slides] A New Architecture for the Internet of Things By @JKirklan | @ThingsExpo @RedHatNews #IoT #M2M #InternetOfThings
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 28, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,372
[slides] From Industry to Society By @JMondanaro | @ThingsExpo @MetraTech @Ericsson #IoT #M2M #InternetOfThings
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world...
Jul. 28, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,752
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 222
[slides] Workloads and Public Cloud at @CloudExpo By @utollwi | @ProfitBricksUSA #DevOps #Containers #Microservices
Public Cloud IaaS started its life in the developer and startup communities and has grown rapidly to a $20B+ industry, but it still pales in comparison to how much is spent worldwide on IT: $3.6 trillion. In fact, there are 8.6 million data centers worldwide, the reality is many small and medium sized business have server closets and colocation footprints filled with servers and storage gear. While on-premise environment virtualization may have peaked at 75%, the Public Cloud has lagged in adop...
Jul. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,184
Take the Long View with Digital Transformation By @IoT2040 | @ThingsExpo #IoT #M2M #API #Microservices #InternetOfThings
Digital Transformation is the ultimate goal of cloud computing and related initiatives. The phrase is certainly not a precise one, and as subject to hand-waving and distortion as any high-falutin' terminology in the world of information technology. Yet it is an excellent choice of words to describe what enterprise IT—and by extension, organizations in general—should be working to achieve. Digital Transformation means: handling all the data types being found and created in the organizat...
Jul. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,063
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Jul. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 461