|By PR Newswire||
|February 14, 2013 03:05 PM EST||
BOSTON, Feb. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- When it comes to online learning in higher education, student demand calls for more personalized approaches than the MOOCs dominating headlines. Success in this new world involves tailored, blended strategies, according to a new paper from The Parthenon Group examining how best to serve the 21st century student.
"The world needs a more responsive education system with online offerings a high priority, though MOOCs are but one part of the equation," said Haven Ladd, a partner in the firm's Education Practice and author of the paper. "We've yet to see many institutions develop sustainable financial models for an online degree program that strikes the correct harmony of meeting the needs of target students and a school's mission and resources."
Based on a recent qualitative study of over 100 post-secondary institutions, The Parthenon Group's Education Practice has articulated the top five lessons for universities.
- Students are demanding online courses, and the majority of institutions have responded by offering them. Demand represents two things for the growing population of online learners: a continued desire to use technology to learn and an increased comfort using technology. While supply continues to grow, demand for online programs remains impressive and positive – with 87% of digitally inclined master's students confident in their online learning. This paves the way for universities and colleges – for-profit and non-profit – to expand institutional reach and impact via online programs.
- Online programs are not just for adult learners seeking master's degrees. While master's programs are often a gateway to a school's virtual offerings, they represent only one-third of today's online programs. Although online enrollments are highest for graduate students, there are two million bachelor's students expected to join the undergraduate presence over the next eight years. "With online options more readily available and cost efficient, multi-million-dollar campus expansion projects could become unnecessary," Ladd points out. "Why build on the ground when you can build in the cloud?"
- Online students need fundamentally different support services from on-campus students. Because withdrawal rates are higher for online learners versus traditional students, institutions contemplating expansion into the online learning space must be prepared to build, secure, and maintain critical infrastructure needed to support this new learning community. The number of students walking through any school's virtual doors on day one may increase, but the number graduating won't be the same unless schools effectively engage and adapt to the differentiated needs of online students. Appropriate management must be implemented, or schools risk losing students and credibility.
- MOOCs could present a challenge to the traditional institution revenue model – lack of clarity now means room for opportunity. The right business model is exactly what the show-stopping MOOCs of 2012 are trying to figure out in 2013. "The lack of clarity in MOOC monetization is an opportunity for traditional higher education entities to take control of their online learning strategies and capitalize on the qualities for which MOOCs are quickly trying to compensate: a network of academics and degree credibility," Ladd said. "With a rising demand for online learning at all levels, the question is not whether universities should go online, but when and how to do so."
- Online for online's sake is not a strategy – schools must articulate and pursue deliberate objectives related to online learning. As more universities dip their toes into the MOOC testing pool, The Parthenon Group maintains that universities must respond to student demand in order to be competitive and relevant. Many education leaders agree that it is important to have an online strategy but fail to articulate a viable one. Strategic objectives may include financial sustainability, tuition reduction, increasing effective capacity, enhancing intellectual and societal impact, and responding to student demand.
"It is time for the bedrocks of post-secondary education to seize the opportunity to refresh their strategies and reengage a 21st -century learning world," said Ladd. "For an online strategy to leave its awkward and insecure stage and mature, institutions have to realize their own strengths and weaknesses and tailor their online programs accordingly. By customizing online learning based on school's missions and resources, universities will succeed in this new – and permanent – education landscape."
About The Parthenon Group
The Parthenon Group is a leading advisory firm focused on strategy consulting with offices in Boston, London, Mumbai, San Francisco, and Shanghai. Since its inception in 1991, the firm has embraced a unique approach to strategic advisory services built on long-term client relationships, a willingness to share risk, an entrepreneurial spirit, and customized insights. This unique approach has established the firm as the strategic advisor of choice for CEOs and business leaders of Global 1000 corporations, high-potential growth companies, private equity firms, educational institutions, and healthcare organizations.
Contact: Sara Beth Joren, [email protected], 212-220-4444
SOURCE The Parthenon Group
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 23, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,770
As companies gain momentum, the need to maintain high quality products can outstrip their development team’s bandwidth for QA. Building out a large QA team (whether in-house or outsourced) can slow down development and significantly increases costs. This eBook takes QA profiles from 5 companies who successfully scaled up production without building a large QA team and includes: What to consider when choosing CI/CD tools How culture and communication can make or break implementation
Jul. 23, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,468
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 23, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,898
"We formed Formation several years ago to really address the need for bring complete modernization and software-defined storage to the more classic private cloud marketplace," stated Mark Lewis, Chairman and CEO of Formation Data Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,376
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 23, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,327
Most organizations prioritize data security only after their data has already been compromised. Proactive prevention is important, but how can you accomplish that on a small budget? Learn how the cloud, combined with a defense and in-depth approach, creates efficiencies by transferring and assigning risk. Security requires a multi-defense approach, and an in-house team may only be able to cherry pick from the essential components. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Vlad Friedman, CEO/Founder o...
Jul. 23, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,729
Organizations planning enterprise data center consolidation and modernization projects are faced with a challenging, costly reality. Requirements to deploy modern, cloud-native applications simultaneously with traditional client/server applications are almost impossible to achieve with hardware-centric enterprise infrastructure. Compute and network infrastructure are fast moving down a software-defined path, but storage has been a laggard. Until now.
Jul. 23, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,569
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,055
With over 720 million Internet users and 40–50% CAGR, the Chinese Cloud Computing market has been booming. When talking about cloud computing, what are the Chinese users of cloud thinking about? What is the most powerful force that can push them to make the buying decision? How to tap into them? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yu Hao, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, answered these questions and discussed the results of SpeedyCloud’s survey.
Jul. 23, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 694
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 23, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,022
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 731
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 23, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,004
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 23, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,142
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 23, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,409
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 23, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,518
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 22, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 669
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 22, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,164
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 22, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 960
Early adopters of IoT viewed it mainly as a different term for machine-to-machine connectivity or M2M. This is understandable since a prerequisite for any IoT solution is the ability to collect and aggregate device data, which is most often presented in a dashboard. The problem is that viewing data in a dashboard requires a human to interpret the results and take manual action, which doesn’t scale to the needs of IoT.
Jul. 22, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,786
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
Jul. 22, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,773