|By Pat Romanski||
|February 20, 2013 03:45 PM EST||
Red Hat on Wednesday announced its Big Data direction and solutions to satisfy enterprise requirements for highly reliable, scalable, and manageable solutions to effectively run their Big Data analytics workloads. In addition, Red Hat announced that the company will contribute its Red Hat Storage Hadoop plug-in to the Apache Hadoop open community to transform Red Hat Storage into a fully supported, Hadoop-compatible file system for Big Data environments, and that Red Hat is building a robust network of ecosystem and enterprise integration partners to deliver comprehensive Big Data solutions to enterprise customers.
Red Hat Big Data infrastructure and application platforms are suited for enterprises leveraging the open hybrid cloud environment. Red Hat is working with the open cloud community to support Big Data customers. Many enterprises worldwide use public cloud infrastructure, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), for the development, proof-of-concept, and pre-production phases of their Big Data projects. The workloads are then moved to their private clouds to scale up the analytics with the larger data set. An open hybrid cloud environment enables enterprises to transfer workloads from the public cloud into their private cloud without the need to re-tool their applications. Red Hat is actively engaged in the open cloud community through projects like OpenStack and OpenShift Origin to help meet these enterprise Big Data expectations both today and in the future.
There are several Red Hat solutions available to effectively manage enterprise Big Data workloads. Focused on three primary areas, Red Hat's big data direction includes extending its product portfolio to deliver enhanced enterprise-class infrastructure solutions and application platforms, and partnering with leading big data analytics vendors and integrators.
Red Hat's Big Data Infrastructure Solutions
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux - According to the Jan. 2012 The Linux Foundation Enterprise Linux User Report, the majority of Big Data implementations run on Linux and as the leading provider of commercial Linux1, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a leading platform for Big Data deployments. Red Hat Enterprise Linux excels in distributed architectures and includes features that address critical big data needs. Managing tremendous data volumes and intensive analytic processing requires an infrastructure designed for high performance, reliability, fine-grained resource management, and scale-out storage. Red Hat Enterprise Linux addresses these challenges while adding the ability to develop, integrate, and secure big data applications reliably and scale easily to keep up with the pace that data is generated, analyzed, or transferred. This can be accomplished in the cloud, making it easier to store, aggregate, normalize, and integrate data from sources across multiple platforms, whether they are deployed as physical, virtual, or cloud-based resources.
- Red Hat Storage - Built on the trusted Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system and the proven GlusterFS distributed file system, Red Hat Storage Servers can be used to pool inexpensive commodity servers to provide a cost-effective, scalable, and reliable storage solution for Big Data.
Red Hat intends to make its Hadoop plug-in for Red Hat Storage available to the Hadoop community later this year. Currently in technology preview, the Red Hat Storage Apache Hadoop plug-in provides a new storage option for enterprise Hadoop deployments that delivers enterprise storage features while maintaining the API compatibility and local data access the Hadoop community expects. Red Hat Storage brings enterprise-class features to Big Data environments, such as Geo replication, High Availability, POSIX compliance, disaster recovery, and management, without compromising API compatibility and data locality. Customers now have a unified data and scale out storage software platform to accommodate files and objects deployed across physical, virtual, public and hybrid cloud resources.
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization - Announced in Dec. 2012, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.1 is integrated with Red Hat Storage, enabling it to access the secure, shared storage pool managed by Red Hat Storage. This integration also offers enterprises reduced operational costs, expanded portability, choice of infrastructure, scalability, availability and the power of community-driven innovation with the contributions of the open source oVirt and Gluster projects. The combination of these platforms furthers Red Hat's open hybrid cloud vision of an integrated and converged Red Hat Storage and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization node that serves both compute and storage resources.
Red Hat's Big Data Application and Integration Platforms
- Red Hat JBoss Middleware - Red Hat JBoss Middleware provides enterprises with powerful technologies for creating and integrating big data-driven applications that are able to interact with new and emerging technologies like Hadoop or MongoDB. Big data is only valuable when businesses can extract information and respond intelligently. Red Hat JBoss Middleware solutions can populate large volumes and varieties of data quickly and reliably into Hadoop with high speed messaging technologies; simplify working with MongoDB through Hibernate OGM; process large volumes of data quickly and easily with Red Hat JBoss Data Grid; access Hadoop along with your traditional data sources with JBoss Enterprise Data Services Platform; and identify opportunities and threats through pattern recognition with JBoss Enterprise BRMS. Red Hat's middleware portfolio is well-suited to help enterprises seize the opportunities of big data.
Big Data Partnerships
- Big Data Ecosystem Partners - To provide a comprehensive big data solution set to enterprises, Red Hat plans to partner with leading big data software and hardware providers to offer interoperability. Development of certified and documented reference architectures are expected to allow users to integrate and install comprehension enterprise big data solutions.
- Enterprise Partners - Red Hat anticipates enabling the delivery of a comprehensive big data solution to its customers through leading enterprise integration partners utilizing the reference architectures developed by Red Hat and its big data ecosystem partners.
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 5,444
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Jan. 20, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 2,085
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, will explore the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and will give a real live, hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He will examine three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. This is a hands-on session that will require participants to bring their own laptops, and we will provide the rest.
Jan. 20, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 4,942
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 20, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 3,801
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Jan. 20, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 3,531
A look across the tech landscape at the disruptive technologies that are increasing in prominence and speculate as to which will be most impactful for communications – namely, AI and Cloud Computing. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Curtis Peterson, VP of Operations at RingCentral, will highlight the current challenges of these transformative technologies and share strategies for preparing your organization for these changes. This “view from the top” will outline the latest trends and developm...
Jan. 20, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,070
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 5,729
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 5,233
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 20, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 3,591
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,575
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,187
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 4,345
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,651
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 20, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 5,836
Hardware virtualization and cloud computing allowed us to increase resource utilization and increase our flexibility to respond to business demand. Docker Containers are the next quantum leap - Are they?! Databases always represented an additional set of challenges unique to running workloads requiring a maximum of I/O, network, CPU resources combined with data locality.
Jan. 20, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 767
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 6,089
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 3,701
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 5,515
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 2,934
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 6,394