|By Pat Romanski||
|February 20, 2013 03:45 PM EST||
Red Hat on Wednesday announced its Big Data direction and solutions to satisfy enterprise requirements for highly reliable, scalable, and manageable solutions to effectively run their Big Data analytics workloads. In addition, Red Hat announced that the company will contribute its Red Hat Storage Hadoop plug-in to the Apache Hadoop open community to transform Red Hat Storage into a fully supported, Hadoop-compatible file system for Big Data environments, and that Red Hat is building a robust network of ecosystem and enterprise integration partners to deliver comprehensive Big Data solutions to enterprise customers.
Red Hat Big Data infrastructure and application platforms are suited for enterprises leveraging the open hybrid cloud environment. Red Hat is working with the open cloud community to support Big Data customers. Many enterprises worldwide use public cloud infrastructure, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), for the development, proof-of-concept, and pre-production phases of their Big Data projects. The workloads are then moved to their private clouds to scale up the analytics with the larger data set. An open hybrid cloud environment enables enterprises to transfer workloads from the public cloud into their private cloud without the need to re-tool their applications. Red Hat is actively engaged in the open cloud community through projects like OpenStack and OpenShift Origin to help meet these enterprise Big Data expectations both today and in the future.
There are several Red Hat solutions available to effectively manage enterprise Big Data workloads. Focused on three primary areas, Red Hat's big data direction includes extending its product portfolio to deliver enhanced enterprise-class infrastructure solutions and application platforms, and partnering with leading big data analytics vendors and integrators.
Red Hat's Big Data Infrastructure Solutions
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux - According to the Jan. 2012 The Linux Foundation Enterprise Linux User Report, the majority of Big Data implementations run on Linux and as the leading provider of commercial Linux1, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a leading platform for Big Data deployments. Red Hat Enterprise Linux excels in distributed architectures and includes features that address critical big data needs. Managing tremendous data volumes and intensive analytic processing requires an infrastructure designed for high performance, reliability, fine-grained resource management, and scale-out storage. Red Hat Enterprise Linux addresses these challenges while adding the ability to develop, integrate, and secure big data applications reliably and scale easily to keep up with the pace that data is generated, analyzed, or transferred. This can be accomplished in the cloud, making it easier to store, aggregate, normalize, and integrate data from sources across multiple platforms, whether they are deployed as physical, virtual, or cloud-based resources.
- Red Hat Storage - Built on the trusted Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system and the proven GlusterFS distributed file system, Red Hat Storage Servers can be used to pool inexpensive commodity servers to provide a cost-effective, scalable, and reliable storage solution for Big Data.
Red Hat intends to make its Hadoop plug-in for Red Hat Storage available to the Hadoop community later this year. Currently in technology preview, the Red Hat Storage Apache Hadoop plug-in provides a new storage option for enterprise Hadoop deployments that delivers enterprise storage features while maintaining the API compatibility and local data access the Hadoop community expects. Red Hat Storage brings enterprise-class features to Big Data environments, such as Geo replication, High Availability, POSIX compliance, disaster recovery, and management, without compromising API compatibility and data locality. Customers now have a unified data and scale out storage software platform to accommodate files and objects deployed across physical, virtual, public and hybrid cloud resources.
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization - Announced in Dec. 2012, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.1 is integrated with Red Hat Storage, enabling it to access the secure, shared storage pool managed by Red Hat Storage. This integration also offers enterprises reduced operational costs, expanded portability, choice of infrastructure, scalability, availability and the power of community-driven innovation with the contributions of the open source oVirt and Gluster projects. The combination of these platforms furthers Red Hat's open hybrid cloud vision of an integrated and converged Red Hat Storage and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization node that serves both compute and storage resources.
Red Hat's Big Data Application and Integration Platforms
- Red Hat JBoss Middleware - Red Hat JBoss Middleware provides enterprises with powerful technologies for creating and integrating big data-driven applications that are able to interact with new and emerging technologies like Hadoop or MongoDB. Big data is only valuable when businesses can extract information and respond intelligently. Red Hat JBoss Middleware solutions can populate large volumes and varieties of data quickly and reliably into Hadoop with high speed messaging technologies; simplify working with MongoDB through Hibernate OGM; process large volumes of data quickly and easily with Red Hat JBoss Data Grid; access Hadoop along with your traditional data sources with JBoss Enterprise Data Services Platform; and identify opportunities and threats through pattern recognition with JBoss Enterprise BRMS. Red Hat's middleware portfolio is well-suited to help enterprises seize the opportunities of big data.
Big Data Partnerships
- Big Data Ecosystem Partners - To provide a comprehensive big data solution set to enterprises, Red Hat plans to partner with leading big data software and hardware providers to offer interoperability. Development of certified and documented reference architectures are expected to allow users to integrate and install comprehension enterprise big data solutions.
- Enterprise Partners - Red Hat anticipates enabling the delivery of a comprehensive big data solution to its customers through leading enterprise integration partners utilizing the reference architectures developed by Red Hat and its big data ecosystem partners.
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money! Speaker Bio: ...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 971
Compute virtualization has been transformational, yet security policy implementation and enforcement has lagged behind in agility and automation. There are a number of key considerations when implementing policy in private and hybrid clouds. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Holland Barry, VP of Technology at Catbird, will discuss the impact of this new paradigm and what organizations can do today to safely move to software-defined network and compute architectures, including: How normal ope...
Oct. 24, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,393
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Open Innovation Center. Can you elaborate on your commitment to keep the platform open? Jacopo Lenzi: S...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,559
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic • Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff hap...
Oct. 23, 2014 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,580
SYS-CON Events announced today that SOA Software, an API management leader, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SOA Software is a leading provider of API Management and SOA Governance products that equip business to deliver APIs and SOA together to drive their company to meet its business strategy quickly and effectively. SOA Software’s technology helps businesses to accel...
Oct. 23, 2014 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,604
SYS-CON Events announced today that Utimaco will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Utimaco is a leading manufacturer of hardware based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. Only Utimaco delivers a general-purpose hardware security module (HSM) as a customiz...
Oct. 23, 2014 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,525
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 22, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,439
SYS-CON Events announced today that ElasticBox is holding a Hackathon at DevOps Summit, November 6 from 12 pm -4 pm at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. You can enter as an individual or team of up to 10 developers. A New Star Is Born Every Month! All completed ElasticBoxes will then be sent to a judging panel - 12 winners will be featured on the ElasticBox website in 2015. All entrants will receive five full enterprise licenses for one year + ElasticBox headphones + Elasti...
Oct. 22, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,525
Once the decision has been made to move part or all of a workload to the cloud, a methodology for selecting that workload needs to be established. How do you move to the cloud? What does the discovery, assessment and planning look like? What workloads make sense? Which cloud model makes sense for each workload? What are the considerations for how to select the right cloud model? And how does that fit in with the overall IT tranformation? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, John Hatem, head of V...
Oct. 22, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,544
Cloud services are the newest tool in the arsenal of IT products in the market today. These cloud services integrate process and tools. In order to use these products effectively, organizations must have a good understanding of themselves and their business requirements. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Brian Lewis, Principal Architect at Verizon Cloud, will outline key areas of organizational focus, and how to formalize an actionable plan when migrating applications and internal services to...
Oct. 22, 2014 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,571
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, will discuss how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP ...
Oct. 22, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,669
Ixia develops amazing products so its customers can connect the world. Ixia helps its customers provide an always-on user experience through fast, secure delivery of dynamic connected technologies and services. Through actionable insights that accelerate and secure application and service delivery, Ixia's customers benefit from faster time to market, optimized application performance and higher-quality deployments.
Oct. 21, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,509
SYS-CON Events announced today that Calm.io has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of DevOps Summit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Calm.io is a cloud orchestration platform for AWS, vCenter, OpenStack, or bare metal, that runs your CL tools puppet, Chef, shell, git, Jenkins, nagios, and will soon support New Relic and Docker. It can run hosted, or on premise and provides VM automation / expiry, self-service portals,...
Oct. 21, 2014 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,452
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, will focus on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud pla...
Oct. 21, 2014 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,543
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue bu...
Oct. 21, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,528
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce t...
Oct. 21, 2014 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,600
As Platform as a Service (PaaS) matures as a category, developers should have the ability to use the programming language of their choice to build applications and have access to a wide array of services. Bluemix is IBM's open cloud development platform that enables users to easily build cloud-based, creative mobile and web applications without having to spend large amounts of time and resources on configuring infrastructure and multiple software licenses. In this track, you will learn about the...
Oct. 21, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,565
Blue Box has closed a $10 million Series B financing. The round was led by a strategic investor and included participation from prior investors including Voyager Capital and Founders Collective, as well as the Blue Box executive team. This round follows a $4.3 million Series A closed in December of 2012 and led by Voyager Capital. In May of this year, the company announced general availability of its private cloud as a service offering, Blue Box Cloud. Since that release, the company has dem...
Oct. 21, 2014 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,612
SYS-CON Events announced today that Verizon has been named "Gold Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Verizon Enterprise Solutions creates global connections that generate growth, drive business innovation and move society forward. With industry-specific solutions and a full range of global wholesale offerings provided over the company's secure mobility, cloud, strategic network...
Oct. 21, 2014 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,662
SimpleECM is the only platform to offer a powerful combination of enterprise content management (ECM) services, capture solutions, and third-party business services providing simplified integrations and workflow development for solution providers. SimpleECM is opening the market to businesses of all sizes by reinventing the delivery of ECM services. Our APIs make the development of ECM services simple with the use of familiar technologies for a frictionless integration directly into web applicat...
Oct. 20, 2014 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,773