|By Bob Gourley||
|May 30, 2013 09:11 PM EDT||
By Ryan Kamauff
- Apple announces new $229 16GB iPod touch: 4-inch Retina display, no rear-facing camera - Apple has announced their latest iPod Touch offering. The iPod touch was a huge seller at first, because it allowed people to get into iOS in a non-iPhone way (I had a friend who got a dumb phone and a iPod touch – because “WiFi is everywhere”). It used to be as powerful as the iPhones it mimicked, but no longer. I think the lack of a rear camera will be a huge hit to its value to the customer, especially when iPad Minis can be had for $329, and numerous Android devices for far less. Via The Verge, more here.
- Mary Meeker’s 2013 Internet Trends: Mobile Makes Up 15% Of All Internet Traffic, With 1.5B Users Worldwide – Meeker’s most recent Internet study foudn 2.4B total Internet users, with 1.5B Mobile subscribers. The mobile numbers grew around 30% year over year. That mobile internet subscriber number shows about 30% of all mobile numbers are smartphones, which gives them a lot of room to grow (albeit mostly in developing countries). Via TechCrunch, more here.
- HTC to Possibly Allow Existing One Owners to Remove Sense UI From Their Device? – After news of the “Nexus” edition Samsung Galaxy S4 was released, many asked if HTC would offer a similar version for the One. While initial reports indicated no, it appears that HTC will be releasing a “Sense-less” version of the HTC One. In my opinion Sense (HTC’s Android skin) is a total disaster and this is a big step. HTC now may be making their “Sense-less” version available to any One user, which is a huge step. I wouldn’t mind “skins” so much if they were optional. We’ll see if this becomes a fad (we can only hope). Via Droid-Life, more here.
- Verizon GALAXY S 4 one-click root tool released – For those of you avid rooters, who are still stuck on Verizon, here’s some good news. The one-click root tool for the Galaxy S4 on VZW is now available. While I cannot comment on the quality of ROMs available, at least you’ll be able to get your Titanium Backup up and running to restore your apps. Via Android Community, more here.
- Google announces Google Play Music and ‘All Access’ streaming coming to iOS in next few weeks – Google’s Play Music with the ‘All Access’ streaming will be coming to iOS. Google Play Music is an excellent capability which enables access to your music via the cloud. Google’s new ‘All Access’ function enables streaming of music from studios. This is just more evidence of Google offering as good (if not better) capabilities on iOS than Apple themselves. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- CyanogenMod may offer a “heavily privacy-focused” version – CyanogenMod is one of the top custom versions of Android available for your rooted device, apparently, they are discussing a privacy-focused device that offers a great deal of anonymity to the user. Neither the feasibility, the implementation nor the actual creation of this version is decided, but it is certainly interesting. While no OEM is looking to offer a smartphone with privacy, those who desire that might start buying phones supported by CyanogenMod (or they could get bought out!). Via Android Community, more here.
- The Moto X phone will be made in the US and is coming this summer, says Motorola – Motorola’s XPhone is a last shot in the dark from a struggling manufacturer. Many thought Google’s 2011 acquisition of Motorola would give them the inside edge to Nexus devices (which can help drive overall sales). Not at all, they have steadily declined in quality and capability of what they deliver to their clients. The XPhone will actually be assembled in the US, which may lead to a high price tag, scant availability, or both. Via The Verge, more here.
- Not afraid to fail: Google Glass spat highlights clashing cultures at Apple and Google – While I believe I’ll be comfortable as the “freak in the Google Glasses,” many of the rest of you are not. However, the fact that Google is using Glass to push computing paradigms may be symbolic of their efforts to change computing, no matter how weird. I often denigrate Apple for their consistent “incremental upgrades” instead of innovation. Their reliance on legal measures to curb Android’s growth is also an indicator. At the end of the day, Apple needs to innovate or they will lose out on the entire “economy” market, most of the niche markets, and have a strong presence only in the “first world” markets. Google’s willingness to fail will lead to success, Apple’s aversion to fail may let them down. Via Boy Genius Report, more here.
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:00 AM EST Reads: 6,324
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Jan. 19, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 9,907
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Jan. 19, 2017 09:45 PM EST Reads: 7,696
"We provide DevOps solutions. We also partner with some key players in the DevOps space and we use the technology that we partner with to engineer custom solutions for different organizations," stated Himanshu Chhetri, CTO of Addteq, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 19, 2017 09:00 PM EST Reads: 4,552
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jan. 19, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 5,387
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus o...
Jan. 19, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 4,237
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Jan. 19, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 3,113
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 19, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 3,770
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Jan. 19, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 3,490
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 19, 2017 04:15 PM EST Reads: 5,417
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Jan. 19, 2017 04:00 PM EST Reads: 5,439
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a leading digital experience intelligence company, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint Systems is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into your customer-critical services to help you consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed for digital business, C...
Jan. 19, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,805
A look across the tech landscape at the disruptive technologies that are increasing in prominence and speculate as to which will be most impactful for communications – namely, AI and Cloud Computing. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Curtis Peterson, VP of Operations at RingCentral, will highlight the current challenges of these transformative technologies and share strategies for preparing your organization for these changes. This “view from the top” will outline the latest trends and developm...
Jan. 19, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,046
@ThingsExpo has been named the ‘Top WebRTC Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @ThingsExpo ranked as the number one ‘WebRTC Influencer' followed by @DevOpsSummit at 55th.
Jan. 19, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 4,795
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,688
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,178
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 3,544
"Avere Systems is a hybrid cloud solution provider. We have customers that want to use cloud storage and we have customers that want to take advantage of cloud compute," explained Rebecca Thompson, VP of Marketing at Avere Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 19, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 6,368
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Jan. 19, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 2,557
Updating DevOps to the latest production data slows down your development cycle. Probably it is due to slow, inefficient conventional storage and associated copy data management practices. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, in Product and Solution at Tintri, will talk about DevOps and cloud-focused storage to update hundreds of child VMs (different flavors) with updates from a master VM in minutes, saving hours or even days in each development cycle. He will also...
Jan. 19, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,220