|By Bob Gourley||
|May 30, 2013 09:11 PM EDT||
By Ryan Kamauff
- Apple announces new $229 16GB iPod touch: 4-inch Retina display, no rear-facing camera - Apple has announced their latest iPod Touch offering. The iPod touch was a huge seller at first, because it allowed people to get into iOS in a non-iPhone way (I had a friend who got a dumb phone and a iPod touch – because “WiFi is everywhere”). It used to be as powerful as the iPhones it mimicked, but no longer. I think the lack of a rear camera will be a huge hit to its value to the customer, especially when iPad Minis can be had for $329, and numerous Android devices for far less. Via The Verge, more here.
- Mary Meeker’s 2013 Internet Trends: Mobile Makes Up 15% Of All Internet Traffic, With 1.5B Users Worldwide – Meeker’s most recent Internet study foudn 2.4B total Internet users, with 1.5B Mobile subscribers. The mobile numbers grew around 30% year over year. That mobile internet subscriber number shows about 30% of all mobile numbers are smartphones, which gives them a lot of room to grow (albeit mostly in developing countries). Via TechCrunch, more here.
- HTC to Possibly Allow Existing One Owners to Remove Sense UI From Their Device? – After news of the “Nexus” edition Samsung Galaxy S4 was released, many asked if HTC would offer a similar version for the One. While initial reports indicated no, it appears that HTC will be releasing a “Sense-less” version of the HTC One. In my opinion Sense (HTC’s Android skin) is a total disaster and this is a big step. HTC now may be making their “Sense-less” version available to any One user, which is a huge step. I wouldn’t mind “skins” so much if they were optional. We’ll see if this becomes a fad (we can only hope). Via Droid-Life, more here.
- Verizon GALAXY S 4 one-click root tool released – For those of you avid rooters, who are still stuck on Verizon, here’s some good news. The one-click root tool for the Galaxy S4 on VZW is now available. While I cannot comment on the quality of ROMs available, at least you’ll be able to get your Titanium Backup up and running to restore your apps. Via Android Community, more here.
- Google announces Google Play Music and ‘All Access’ streaming coming to iOS in next few weeks – Google’s Play Music with the ‘All Access’ streaming will be coming to iOS. Google Play Music is an excellent capability which enables access to your music via the cloud. Google’s new ‘All Access’ function enables streaming of music from studios. This is just more evidence of Google offering as good (if not better) capabilities on iOS than Apple themselves. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- CyanogenMod may offer a “heavily privacy-focused” version – CyanogenMod is one of the top custom versions of Android available for your rooted device, apparently, they are discussing a privacy-focused device that offers a great deal of anonymity to the user. Neither the feasibility, the implementation nor the actual creation of this version is decided, but it is certainly interesting. While no OEM is looking to offer a smartphone with privacy, those who desire that might start buying phones supported by CyanogenMod (or they could get bought out!). Via Android Community, more here.
- The Moto X phone will be made in the US and is coming this summer, says Motorola – Motorola’s XPhone is a last shot in the dark from a struggling manufacturer. Many thought Google’s 2011 acquisition of Motorola would give them the inside edge to Nexus devices (which can help drive overall sales). Not at all, they have steadily declined in quality and capability of what they deliver to their clients. The XPhone will actually be assembled in the US, which may lead to a high price tag, scant availability, or both. Via The Verge, more here.
- Not afraid to fail: Google Glass spat highlights clashing cultures at Apple and Google – While I believe I’ll be comfortable as the “freak in the Google Glasses,” many of the rest of you are not. However, the fact that Google is using Glass to push computing paradigms may be symbolic of their efforts to change computing, no matter how weird. I often denigrate Apple for their consistent “incremental upgrades” instead of innovation. Their reliance on legal measures to curb Android’s growth is also an indicator. At the end of the day, Apple needs to innovate or they will lose out on the entire “economy” market, most of the niche markets, and have a strong presence only in the “first world” markets. Google’s willingness to fail will lead to success, Apple’s aversion to fail may let them down. Via Boy Genius Report, more here.
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Feb. 27, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 888
Ayehu provides IT Process Automation & Orchestration solutions for IT and Security professionals to identify and resolve critical incidents and enable rapid containment, eradication, and recovery from cyber security breaches. Ayehu provides customers greater control over IT infrastructure through automation. Ayehu solutions have been deployed by major enterprises worldwide, and currently, support thousands of IT processes across the globe. The company has offices in New York, California, and Isr...
Feb. 27, 2017 10:45 PM EST Reads: 800
Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said "No to LUNs." With Tintri they manage only virtual machines, in a fraction of the footprint and at far lower cost than conventional storage. Tintri offers the choice of all-flash or hybrid-flash platform, converged or stand-alone structure and any hypervisor. Rather than obsess with storage, leaders focus on the business app...
Feb. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 703
Addteq is one of the top 10 Platinum Atlassian Experts who specialize in DevOps, custom and continuous integration, automation, plugin development, and consulting for midsize and global firms. Addteq firmly believes that automation is essential for successful software releases. Addteq centers its products and services around this fundamentally unique approach to delivering complete software release management solutions. With a combination of Addteq's services and our extensive list of partners,...
Feb. 27, 2017 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,299
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and sh...
Feb. 27, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 4,176
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Feb. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 7,384
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 1,634
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 27, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 2,269
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Feb. 27, 2017 07:15 PM EST Reads: 1,998
SYS-CON Events announced today that WineSOFT will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Seoul and Irvine, WineSOFT is an innovative software house focusing on internet infrastructure solutions. The venture started as a bootstrap start-up in 2010 by focusing on making the internet faster and more powerful. WineSOFT’s knowledge is based on the expertise of TCP/IP, VPN, SSL, peer-to-peer, mob...
Feb. 27, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 2,220
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain.
Feb. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EST Reads: 2,270
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, whic...
Feb. 27, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 2,150
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Feb. 27, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 568
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Feb. 27, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 8,319
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Feb. 27, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 726
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 27, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 671
The financial services market is one of the most data-driven industries in the world, yet it’s bogged down by legacy CPU technologies that simply can’t keep up with the task of querying and visualizing billions of records. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jared Parker, Director of Financial Services at Kinetica, will discuss how the advent of advanced in-database analytics on the GPU makes it possible to run sophisticated data science workloads on the same database that is housing the rich inf...
Feb. 27, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,806
LogMeIn has completed its previously disclosed merger with Citrix Systems, Inc.’s GetGo, Inc. subsidiary, a wholly owned subsidiary consisting of Citrix’s GoTo family of service offerings. The merger officially closed after market hours on January 31, 2017. Effected through a Reverse Morris Trust transaction, the merger brings together two of the preeminent players in cloud connectivity to instantly create one of the world’s top 10 public SaaS companies, and a market leader with the scale, resou...
Feb. 27, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 553
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life settle...
Feb. 27, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,883
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Steve Wilkes, CTO and founder of Striim, will delve into four enterprise-scale, business-critical case studies where streaming analytics serves as the key to enabling real-time data integration and right-time insights in hybrid cloud, IoT, and fog computing environments. As part of this discussion, he will also present a demo based on its partnership with Fujitsu, highlighting their technologies in a healthcare IoT use-case. The demo showcases the tracking of patie...
Feb. 27, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,525