|By Pat Romanski||
|September 4, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
Salesforce.com announced continued growth and momentum around Salesforce Wear with Epson, Jawbone, Meta, Oculus and Vuzix joining the Salesforce Wear device ecosystem.
The Salesforce Wear app ecosystem demonstrates the potential of wearable technology across industries with the introduction of enterprise apps built on the Salesforce1 Platform.
Comments on the News
- "The explosive growth of Salesforce Wear has validated the need for a unified platform to bring together software companies, wearable device manufacturers and developers wanting to create apps that will enable companies to connect with customers in entirely new ways," said Daniel Debow, SVP of emerging technologies, salesforce.com.
- "ClickSoftware is embracing wearables as an exciting next step to drive great customer experiences, employee productivity and satisfaction," said Mike Karlskind, VP of product marketing, ClickSoftware. "Workers in the field are often juggling multiple physical tasks, and having a device to monitor their safety or provide real-time prompts based on inputs from a wearable is making the future a reality for today's workforce."
- "With wearable solutions, Etherios is transforming device data into actionable information through the Internet of Things in order to better patients' lives," said Mike Dannenfeldt, SVP, Etherios. "Remote monitoring facilitated by wearable devices is enabling independence from the comfort of patients' own homes."
- "By leveraging technology from Meta's glasses and the Salesforce1 Platform, customers will be able to walk into a car dealership, receive a pair of glasses and find themselves looking at a life-sized hologram of a vehicle of their choice," Adam Shames, head of strategic partnerships, Meta. "This customer experience combines the best elements of a face-to-face discussion and an experience that is much more engaging and meaningful than looking at brochures and chatting with someone behind a desk."
- "Accenture believes that wearable technologies have exciting use cases not only for consumers, in areas such as fitness and health monitoring and wearable fashion, but also powerful applications within the enterprise, enabling maintenance workers to quickly identify parts in the field, or allowing surgeons to connect with experts to get guidance on complicated procedures," said Brent Blum, lead of wearable technology practice, Accenture. "Through our experience working with leading clients on cutting edge consumer and enterprise deployments, we've seen first-hand the potential wearables have to transform the way people live and work. Like salesforce.com, we see a very promising future for wearable technologies and are pleased to be working together to deliver solutions in this area."
Salesforce Wear Momentum
Announced earlier this year, Salesforce Wear included the Salesforce Wear Developer Pack to empower developers to accelerate their ability to connect companies with their customers through wearable apps. The Salesforce Wear Developer Pack provides enterprise developers with sample code, documentation, demonstrations and reference apps for a growing list of devices. Salesforce Wear already includes support for Android Wear, ARM, Fitbit, Google Glass, Myo from Thalmic, Nymi from Bionym, OMSignal, Pebble, Philips and Samsung Gear II.
Additional Salesforce Wear Device Support
Building on the success of the device ecosystem, today Salesforce Wear extends support for additional wearable devices, including:
- Epson Moverio – Smart glasses
- Jawbone UP – Fitness tracker
- Meta Glasses – 3D smart glasses
- Oculus Rift – Virtual reality headset for an immersive 3D experience
- Vuzix M100 Smart Glasses – Android based wearable computing, communications and display system
New Enterprise Apps Demonstrate the Power of Wearables
The Salesforce Wear app ecosystem is comprised of a growing number of ISV's that are rapidly developing apps on the Salesforce1 Platform for a variety of industries across multiple devices. Available today on the AppExchange, Salesforce Wear apps include:
- 2lemetry: With the connected SafetyCare wearable device, senior care patients can simply swipe across the screen of the wearable to request immediate assistance, allowing them to stay connected at home, and delivering rapid resolution to issues.
- Alpine Metrics: With Alpine Metrics' free app, Intelligent Forecasting, salespeople get instant access to important trends on their wearable device to better understand what's happening with their business and prioritize deals in real time.
- APX-Labs: Through the integration of the Skylight Platform, Salesforce Wear and several smart glass providers, APX-Labs is enabling field workers, such as telecom service technicians or utility workers, to quickly log a case in the Salesforce Service Cloud, all while they continue to work.
- Brivo Labs: Brivo Labs' identity access management application, NthID, works with Nymi's persistent identity authentication using a person's cardiac rhythm – a unique quality to every individual – to allow for safe, secure and easy access to both laptops and physical spaces.
- ClickSoftware: The ShiftExpert app from ClickSoftware works with devices such as the Samsung Gear II to enable employees to complete tasks such as clocking in and out, which are then automatically incorporated into timesheets.
- Etherios: Through a series of apps from Etherios, patients' health is monitored after leaving the hospital in real time through connected scales, blood pressure cuffs and pulse oximeters. Remote monitoring is enabling individuals to live healthier lives in the comfort of their own homes.
- FacialNetwork: Powered by FacialNetwork, the HospitalityID app provides customer service reps wearing smart glasses instant identification of guests. Through integration with Salesforce1, FacialNetwork can then access guest preferences helping users exceed customer expectations.
- Proximity Insight: Proximity Insight's app sends Android Wear notifications to staff when a VIP customer comes within range of their location, allowing them to create a personalized experience.
"By 2017, wearable devices will drive 50 percent of total mobile app interactions," wrote Roxane Edjlali, research director, Gartner in the "Adapt Your Information Infrastructure in the Age of Consumer-Centric Mobile Apps" report published May 6, 2014. "Mobile app data is often siloed, and IT leaders will find data from apps that use cloud-based information repositories even more diffuse."
Pricing & Availability
- Salesforce Wear Developer Pack is generally available and is included with all user licenses of Salesforce CRM and the Force.com Platform.
- The Salesforce Wear Developer Pack is available at http://developer.salesforce.com/wear
Salesforce.com is the world's largest provider of customer relationship management (CRM) software. For more information about salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), visit: www.salesforce.com.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase salesforce.com applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "CRM." For more information please visit http://salesforce.com, or call 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE.
Salesforce.com Presentation at @ThingsExpo New York
A lot of people are heralding IoT as the future, but what can your business do today? Quite a lot, it turns out, if you know what to look for and how to talk about it.
Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Reid Carlberg, Senior Director at Salesforce.com, discussed business processes ripe for IoT style solutions and provide real-world examples in operation today. He also covered several fun ways to inspire your organization, share some lessons learned about solution development and offer several next steps designed to get you started. If you missed Reid's Internet of @ThingsExpo New York session, here are his presentation slides to learn how to kick start your company's IoT efforts into high gear.
Reid Carlberg hacks quadcopters, automates 3D printers and built the only hot sauce-inator in enterprise software today. As a Senior Director on the Developer Evangelism team at Salesforce.com, Reid helps developer communities around the world understand and work with the Salesforce1 Platform. Since joining the company, he has launched hundreds of new apps on the AppExchange as part of the Salesforce Labs program, taught thousands of developers about the Internet of Things at the Dreamforce 2013 Connected Device Lab and spoken about cloud app development around the world. Reid lives in Chicago.
2nd International Internet of @ThingsExpo will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara, California with over 100 major sponsors and exhibitors in 2014 and more than 6,000 delegates from 17 countries.
Internet of @ThingsExpo this week launched the premiere issue of its monthly newsletter which contains highlights of the hottest sessions and speakers from Internet of @ThingsExpo, speaking information as well as sponsorship opportunities.
Download @ThingsExpo Newsletter ▸ Here
Chris Matthieu Named Internet of @ThingsExpo Tech Chair
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley.
Chris Matthieu has two decades of telecom and web experience. He launched his Teleku cloud communications-as-a-service platform at eComm in 2010, which was acquired by Voxeo. Next he built an open source Node.JS PaaS called Nodester, which was acquired by AppFog. His new startup is Twelephone (http://twelephone.com). Leveraging HTML5 and WebRTC, Twelephone's BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) is to become the next generation telecom company running in the Web browser.
Tracks and topics for Internet of Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley will include:
Consumer IoT and Wearables Track
- Smart Appliances
- Smart Cars
- Smartphones 2.0
- Smart Travel
- Personal Fitness
- Health Care
- Personalized Marketing
- Customized Shopping
- Personal Finance
- The Digital Divide
- Mobile Cash & Markets
- Games & the IoT
- The Future of Education
- Virtual Reality
Video: @ThingsExpo power panel discussion at Internet of @ThingsExpo New York
Enterprise IoT Track
- The Business Case for IoT
- Smart Grids
- Smart Cities
- Smart Transportation
- The Smart Home
- Wiring the IoT
- The Internet of Everything
- Digital Transformation of Enterprise IT
- Local & State Government
- Federal Government
IoT Developer and WebRTC Track
- Eclipse Foundation
- Cloud Foundry
- Linux Containers
- Open Source Hardware
- AJAX and the IoT
- Leveraging SOA
- Multi-Cloud IoT
- Evolving Standards
- Security & Privacy Protocols
- GPS & Proximity Services
- Nest Labs
@ThingsExpo billboard is viewed by more than 1.3 million motorists per week on Highway 101, in the heart of Silicon Valley.
Sponsorship Opportunities or Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley
Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley "show prospectus" has shipped. Sponsorship, exhibit, and keynote opportunities can be obtained from Carmen Gonzalez by email at events (at) sys-con.com, or by phone 201 802-3021.
About SYS-CON Media & Events
SYS-CON Media (www.sys-con.com) has since 1994 been connecting technology companies and customers through a comprehensive content stream at www.sys-con.com - featuring over forty focused subject areas, from Cloud Computing to Web Security - interwoven with market-leading full-scale conferences produced by SYS-CON Events. The company's internationally recognized brands include among others Cloud Expo® (www.CloudComputingExpo.com), Big Data Expo (http://BigDataExpo.net), Virtualization Conference & Expo (www.VirtualizationConference.com), DevOps Summit (http://DevOpsSummit.sys-con.com), Internet of @ThingsExpo (http://www.ThingsExpo.com), SDDC Expo (http://SDDCExpo.sys-con.com), WebRTC Summit (http://WebRTCSummit.net), Government IT Conference & Expo (www.GovITExpo.com), Cloud Computing Bootcamp (www.CloudComputingBootcamp.com), and UlitzerLive! New Media Conference & Expo (http://events.sys-con.com).
Cloud Expo® is a registered trademark of Cloud Expo, Inc.
In their general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Michael Piccininni, Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation, and Mike Dietze, Regional Director at Windstream Hosted Solutions, will review next generation cloud services, including the Windstream-EMC Tier Storage solutions, and discuss how to increase efficiencies, improve service delivery and enhance corporate cloud solution development. Speaker Bios Michael Piccininni is Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation. He has b...
May. 27, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,942
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption...
May. 27, 2015 03:37 PM EDT Reads: 211
In a recent research, analyst firm IDC found that the average cost of a critical application failure is $500,000 to $1 million per hour and the average total cost of unplanned application downtime is $1.25 billion to $2.5 billion per year for Fortune 1000 companies. In addition to the findings on the cost of the downtime, the research also highlighted best practices for development, testing, application support, infrastructure, and operations teams.
May. 27, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,784
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BMC delivers software solutions that help IT transform digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive business advantage. BMC has worked with thousands of leading companies to create and deliver powerful IT management services. From mainframe to cloud to mobile, BMC pairs high-speed digital innovation with robust...
May. 27, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 994
The OpenStack cloud operating system includes Trove, a database abstraction layer. Rather than applications connecting directly to a specific type of database, they connect to Trove, which in turn connects to one or more specific databases. One target database is Postgres Plus Cloud Database, which includes its own RESTful API. Trove was originally developed around MySQL, whose interfaces are significantly less complicated than those of the Postgres cloud database. In his session at 16th Cloud...
May. 27, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,915
EMC Corporation on Tuesday announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately held Virtustream. When the transaction closes, Virtustream will form EMC’s new managed cloud services business. The acquisition represents a transformational element of EMC’s strategy to help customers move all applications to cloud-based IT environments. With the addition of Virtustream, EMC completes the industry’s most comprehensive hybrid cloud portfolio to support all applications, all workl...
May. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,249
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, focused on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud platfo...
May. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,631
The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential. The DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo – to be held June 3-5, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City – will expand the DevOps community, enable a wide...
May. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,744
How does one bridge the gap between traditional enterprise storage infrastructures and the private, hybrid, and public cloud? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dan Pollack, Chief Architect of Storage Operations at AOL Inc., examed the workload differences and required changes to reuse existing knowledge and components when building and using a cloud infrastructure. He also looked into the operational considerations, tool requirements, and behavioral changes required for private cloud storage s...
May. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,910
Software is eating the world. Companies that were not previously in the technology space now find themselves competing with Google and Amazon on speed of innovation. As the innovation cycle accelerates, companies must embrace rapid and constant change to both applications and their infrastructure, and find a way to deliver speed and agility of development without sacrificing reliability or efficiency of operations. In her Day 2 Keynote DevOps Summit, Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell, discussed...
May. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,813
The speed of product development has increased massively in the past 10 years. At the same time our formal secure development and SDL methodologies have fallen behind. This forces product developers to choose between rapid release times and security. In his session at DevOps Summit, Michael Murray, Director of Cyber Security Consulting and Assessment at GE Healthcare, examined the problems and presented some solutions for moving security into the DevOps lifecycle to ensure that we get fast AND ...
May. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,090
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the...
May. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,676
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to DevOps Summit 2015 as Conference Chair. The 4th International DevOps Summit will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great team at ...
May. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,279
SYS-CON Events announced today that MetraTech, now part of Ericsson, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society- a world leader in communications infrastructure, software and services. Some 40% of the world’s mobile traffic runs through networks Ericsson has supplied, serving more than 2.5 billion subscribers.
May. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,112
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will address the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affec...
May. 27, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,094
Move from reactive to proactive cloud management in a heterogeneous cloud infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Manoj Khabe, Innovative Solution-Focused Transformation Leader at Vicom Computer Services, Inc., will show how to replace a help desk-centric approach with an ITIL-based service model and service-centric CMDB that’s tightly integrated with an event and incident management platform. Learn how to expand the scope of operations management to service management. He will al...
May. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,963
Hardware will never be more valuable than on the day it hits your loading dock. Each day new servers are not deployed to production the business is losing money. While Moore's Law is typically cited to explain the exponential density growth of chips, a critical consequence of this is rapid depreciation of servers. The hardware for clustered systems (e.g., Hadoop, OpenStack) tends to be significant capital expenses. In his session at Big Data Expo, Mason Katz, CTO and co-founder of StackIQ, disc...
May. 27, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,529
Software Development Solution category in The 2015 American Business Awards, and will ultimately be a Gold, Silver, or Bronze Stevie® Award winner in the program. More than 3,300 nominations from organizations of all sizes and in virtually every industry were submitted this year for consideration. "We are honored to be recognized as a leader in the software development industry by the Stevie Awards judges," said Steve Brodie, CEO of Electric Cloud. "We introduced ElectricFlow and our Deploy app...
May. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,066
Containers Expo Blog covers the world of containers, as this lightweight alternative to virtual machines enables developers to work with identical dev environments and stacks. Containers Expo Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Bookmark Containers Expo Blog ▸ Here Follow new article posts on Twitter at @ContainersExpo
May. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,606
SYS-CON Events announced today that DragonGlass, an enterprise search platform, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. After eleven years of designing and building custom applications, OpenCrowd has launched DragonGlass, a cloud-based platform that enables the development of search-based applications. These are a new breed of applications that utilize a search index as their backbone for data...
May. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,360