|By Pat Romanski||
|September 4, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
Salesforce.com announced continued growth and momentum around Salesforce Wear with Epson, Jawbone, Meta, Oculus and Vuzix joining the Salesforce Wear device ecosystem.
The Salesforce Wear app ecosystem demonstrates the potential of wearable technology across industries with the introduction of enterprise apps built on the Salesforce1 Platform.
Comments on the News
- "The explosive growth of Salesforce Wear has validated the need for a unified platform to bring together software companies, wearable device manufacturers and developers wanting to create apps that will enable companies to connect with customers in entirely new ways," said Daniel Debow, SVP of emerging technologies, salesforce.com.
- "ClickSoftware is embracing wearables as an exciting next step to drive great customer experiences, employee productivity and satisfaction," said Mike Karlskind, VP of product marketing, ClickSoftware. "Workers in the field are often juggling multiple physical tasks, and having a device to monitor their safety or provide real-time prompts based on inputs from a wearable is making the future a reality for today's workforce."
- "With wearable solutions, Etherios is transforming device data into actionable information through the Internet of Things in order to better patients' lives," said Mike Dannenfeldt, SVP, Etherios. "Remote monitoring facilitated by wearable devices is enabling independence from the comfort of patients' own homes."
- "By leveraging technology from Meta's glasses and the Salesforce1 Platform, customers will be able to walk into a car dealership, receive a pair of glasses and find themselves looking at a life-sized hologram of a vehicle of their choice," Adam Shames, head of strategic partnerships, Meta. "This customer experience combines the best elements of a face-to-face discussion and an experience that is much more engaging and meaningful than looking at brochures and chatting with someone behind a desk."
- "Accenture believes that wearable technologies have exciting use cases not only for consumers, in areas such as fitness and health monitoring and wearable fashion, but also powerful applications within the enterprise, enabling maintenance workers to quickly identify parts in the field, or allowing surgeons to connect with experts to get guidance on complicated procedures," said Brent Blum, lead of wearable technology practice, Accenture. "Through our experience working with leading clients on cutting edge consumer and enterprise deployments, we've seen first-hand the potential wearables have to transform the way people live and work. Like salesforce.com, we see a very promising future for wearable technologies and are pleased to be working together to deliver solutions in this area."
Salesforce Wear Momentum
Announced earlier this year, Salesforce Wear included the Salesforce Wear Developer Pack to empower developers to accelerate their ability to connect companies with their customers through wearable apps. The Salesforce Wear Developer Pack provides enterprise developers with sample code, documentation, demonstrations and reference apps for a growing list of devices. Salesforce Wear already includes support for Android Wear, ARM, Fitbit, Google Glass, Myo from Thalmic, Nymi from Bionym, OMSignal, Pebble, Philips and Samsung Gear II.
Additional Salesforce Wear Device Support
Building on the success of the device ecosystem, today Salesforce Wear extends support for additional wearable devices, including:
- Epson Moverio – Smart glasses
- Jawbone UP – Fitness tracker
- Meta Glasses – 3D smart glasses
- Oculus Rift – Virtual reality headset for an immersive 3D experience
- Vuzix M100 Smart Glasses – Android based wearable computing, communications and display system
New Enterprise Apps Demonstrate the Power of Wearables
The Salesforce Wear app ecosystem is comprised of a growing number of ISV's that are rapidly developing apps on the Salesforce1 Platform for a variety of industries across multiple devices. Available today on the AppExchange, Salesforce Wear apps include:
- 2lemetry: With the connected SafetyCare wearable device, senior care patients can simply swipe across the screen of the wearable to request immediate assistance, allowing them to stay connected at home, and delivering rapid resolution to issues.
- Alpine Metrics: With Alpine Metrics' free app, Intelligent Forecasting, salespeople get instant access to important trends on their wearable device to better understand what's happening with their business and prioritize deals in real time.
- APX-Labs: Through the integration of the Skylight Platform, Salesforce Wear and several smart glass providers, APX-Labs is enabling field workers, such as telecom service technicians or utility workers, to quickly log a case in the Salesforce Service Cloud, all while they continue to work.
- Brivo Labs: Brivo Labs' identity access management application, NthID, works with Nymi's persistent identity authentication using a person's cardiac rhythm – a unique quality to every individual – to allow for safe, secure and easy access to both laptops and physical spaces.
- ClickSoftware: The ShiftExpert app from ClickSoftware works with devices such as the Samsung Gear II to enable employees to complete tasks such as clocking in and out, which are then automatically incorporated into timesheets.
- Etherios: Through a series of apps from Etherios, patients' health is monitored after leaving the hospital in real time through connected scales, blood pressure cuffs and pulse oximeters. Remote monitoring is enabling individuals to live healthier lives in the comfort of their own homes.
- FacialNetwork: Powered by FacialNetwork, the HospitalityID app provides customer service reps wearing smart glasses instant identification of guests. Through integration with Salesforce1, FacialNetwork can then access guest preferences helping users exceed customer expectations.
- Proximity Insight: Proximity Insight's app sends Android Wear notifications to staff when a VIP customer comes within range of their location, allowing them to create a personalized experience.
"By 2017, wearable devices will drive 50 percent of total mobile app interactions," wrote Roxane Edjlali, research director, Gartner in the "Adapt Your Information Infrastructure in the Age of Consumer-Centric Mobile Apps" report published May 6, 2014. "Mobile app data is often siloed, and IT leaders will find data from apps that use cloud-based information repositories even more diffuse."
Pricing & Availability
- Salesforce Wear Developer Pack is generally available and is included with all user licenses of Salesforce CRM and the Force.com Platform.
- The Salesforce Wear Developer Pack is available at http://developer.salesforce.com/wear
Salesforce.com is the world's largest provider of customer relationship management (CRM) software. For more information about salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), visit: www.salesforce.com.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase salesforce.com applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "CRM." For more information please visit http://salesforce.com, or call 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE.
Salesforce.com Presentation at @ThingsExpo New York
A lot of people are heralding IoT as the future, but what can your business do today? Quite a lot, it turns out, if you know what to look for and how to talk about it.
Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Reid Carlberg, Senior Director at Salesforce.com, discussed business processes ripe for IoT style solutions and provide real-world examples in operation today. He also covered several fun ways to inspire your organization, share some lessons learned about solution development and offer several next steps designed to get you started. If you missed Reid's Internet of @ThingsExpo New York session, here are his presentation slides to learn how to kick start your company's IoT efforts into high gear.
Reid Carlberg hacks quadcopters, automates 3D printers and built the only hot sauce-inator in enterprise software today. As a Senior Director on the Developer Evangelism team at Salesforce.com, Reid helps developer communities around the world understand and work with the Salesforce1 Platform. Since joining the company, he has launched hundreds of new apps on the AppExchange as part of the Salesforce Labs program, taught thousands of developers about the Internet of Things at the Dreamforce 2013 Connected Device Lab and spoken about cloud app development around the world. Reid lives in Chicago.
2nd International Internet of @ThingsExpo will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara, California with over 100 major sponsors and exhibitors in 2014 and more than 6,000 delegates from 17 countries.
Internet of @ThingsExpo this week launched the premiere issue of its monthly newsletter which contains highlights of the hottest sessions and speakers from Internet of @ThingsExpo, speaking information as well as sponsorship opportunities.
Download @ThingsExpo Newsletter ▸ Here
Chris Matthieu Named Internet of @ThingsExpo Tech Chair
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley.
Chris Matthieu has two decades of telecom and web experience. He launched his Teleku cloud communications-as-a-service platform at eComm in 2010, which was acquired by Voxeo. Next he built an open source Node.JS PaaS called Nodester, which was acquired by AppFog. His new startup is Twelephone (http://twelephone.com). Leveraging HTML5 and WebRTC, Twelephone's BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) is to become the next generation telecom company running in the Web browser.
Tracks and topics for Internet of Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley will include:
Consumer IoT and Wearables Track
- Smart Appliances
- Smart Cars
- Smartphones 2.0
- Smart Travel
- Personal Fitness
- Health Care
- Personalized Marketing
- Customized Shopping
- Personal Finance
- The Digital Divide
- Mobile Cash & Markets
- Games & the IoT
- The Future of Education
- Virtual Reality
Video: @ThingsExpo power panel discussion at Internet of @ThingsExpo New York
Enterprise IoT Track
- The Business Case for IoT
- Smart Grids
- Smart Cities
- Smart Transportation
- The Smart Home
- Wiring the IoT
- The Internet of Everything
- Digital Transformation of Enterprise IT
- Local & State Government
- Federal Government
IoT Developer and WebRTC Track
- Eclipse Foundation
- Cloud Foundry
- Linux Containers
- Open Source Hardware
- AJAX and the IoT
- Leveraging SOA
- Multi-Cloud IoT
- Evolving Standards
- Security & Privacy Protocols
- GPS & Proximity Services
- Nest Labs
@ThingsExpo billboard is viewed by more than 1.3 million motorists per week on Highway 101, in the heart of Silicon Valley.
Sponsorship Opportunities or Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley
Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley "show prospectus" has shipped. Sponsorship, exhibit, and keynote opportunities can be obtained from Carmen Gonzalez by email at events (at) sys-con.com, or by phone 201 802-3021.
About SYS-CON Media & Events
SYS-CON Media (www.sys-con.com) has since 1994 been connecting technology companies and customers through a comprehensive content stream at www.sys-con.com - featuring over forty focused subject areas, from Cloud Computing to Web Security - interwoven with market-leading full-scale conferences produced by SYS-CON Events. The company's internationally recognized brands include among others Cloud Expo® (www.CloudComputingExpo.com), Big Data Expo (http://BigDataExpo.net), Virtualization Conference & Expo (www.VirtualizationConference.com), DevOps Summit (http://DevOpsSummit.sys-con.com), Internet of @ThingsExpo (http://www.ThingsExpo.com), SDDC Expo (http://SDDCExpo.sys-con.com), WebRTC Summit (http://WebRTCSummit.net), Government IT Conference & Expo (www.GovITExpo.com), Cloud Computing Bootcamp (www.CloudComputingBootcamp.com), and UlitzerLive! New Media Conference & Expo (http://events.sys-con.com).
Cloud Expo® is a registered trademark of Cloud Expo, Inc.
Advances in technology and ubiquitous connectivity have made the utilization of a dispersed workforce more common. Whether that remote team is located across the street or country, management styles/ approaches will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new dynamic. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sagi Brody, Chief Technology Officer at Webair Internet Development Inc., focused on the challenges of managing remote teams, providing real-world examples that demonstrate what works and what do...
Feb. 11, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 302
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 11, 2016 06:45 AM EST Reads: 441
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, will discuss using predictive analytics to ...
Feb. 11, 2016 02:45 AM EST Reads: 397
Let’s face it, embracing new storage technologies, capabilities and upgrading to new hardware often adds complexity and increases costs. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Seth Oxenhorn, Vice President of Business Development & Alliances at FalconStor, will discuss how a truly heterogeneous software-defined storage approach can add value to legacy platforms and heterogeneous environments. The result reduces complexity, significantly lowers cost, and provides IT organizations with improved effi...
Feb. 11, 2016 02:30 AM EST Reads: 253
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:15 AM EST Reads: 209
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 408
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 224
Sensors and effectors of IoT are solving problems in new ways, but small businesses have been slow to join the quantified world. They’ll need information from IoT using applications as varied as the businesses themselves. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Meike, Distinguished Engineer, Director of Technology Innovation at Intuit, showed how IoT manufacturers can use open standards, public APIs and custom apps to enable the Quantified Small Business. He used a Raspberry Pi to connect sensors...
Feb. 11, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 248
Data-as-a-Service is the complete package for the transformation of raw data into meaningful data assets and the delivery of those data assets. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lakshmi Randall, an industry expert, analyst and strategist, will address: What is DaaS (Data-as-a-Service)? Challenges addressed by DaaS Vendors that are enabling DaaS Architecture options for DaaS
Feb. 10, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 352
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 PM EST
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 10, 2016 04:00 PM EST Reads: 165
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 10, 2016 04:00 PM EST Reads: 380
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 400
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 431
Recognizing the need to identify and validate information security professionals’ competency in securing cloud services, the two leading membership organizations focused on cloud and information security, the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) and (ISC)^2, joined together to develop an international cloud security credential that reflects the most current and comprehensive best practices for securing and optimizing cloud computing environments.
Feb. 10, 2016 01:45 PM EST
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 10, 2016 01:15 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 429
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 624
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 270
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 213