|By Pat Romanski||
|September 4, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
Salesforce.com announced continued growth and momentum around Salesforce Wear with Epson, Jawbone, Meta, Oculus and Vuzix joining the Salesforce Wear device ecosystem.
The Salesforce Wear app ecosystem demonstrates the potential of wearable technology across industries with the introduction of enterprise apps built on the Salesforce1 Platform.
Comments on the News
- "The explosive growth of Salesforce Wear has validated the need for a unified platform to bring together software companies, wearable device manufacturers and developers wanting to create apps that will enable companies to connect with customers in entirely new ways," said Daniel Debow, SVP of emerging technologies, salesforce.com.
- "ClickSoftware is embracing wearables as an exciting next step to drive great customer experiences, employee productivity and satisfaction," said Mike Karlskind, VP of product marketing, ClickSoftware. "Workers in the field are often juggling multiple physical tasks, and having a device to monitor their safety or provide real-time prompts based on inputs from a wearable is making the future a reality for today's workforce."
- "With wearable solutions, Etherios is transforming device data into actionable information through the Internet of Things in order to better patients' lives," said Mike Dannenfeldt, SVP, Etherios. "Remote monitoring facilitated by wearable devices is enabling independence from the comfort of patients' own homes."
- "By leveraging technology from Meta's glasses and the Salesforce1 Platform, customers will be able to walk into a car dealership, receive a pair of glasses and find themselves looking at a life-sized hologram of a vehicle of their choice," Adam Shames, head of strategic partnerships, Meta. "This customer experience combines the best elements of a face-to-face discussion and an experience that is much more engaging and meaningful than looking at brochures and chatting with someone behind a desk."
- "Accenture believes that wearable technologies have exciting use cases not only for consumers, in areas such as fitness and health monitoring and wearable fashion, but also powerful applications within the enterprise, enabling maintenance workers to quickly identify parts in the field, or allowing surgeons to connect with experts to get guidance on complicated procedures," said Brent Blum, lead of wearable technology practice, Accenture. "Through our experience working with leading clients on cutting edge consumer and enterprise deployments, we've seen first-hand the potential wearables have to transform the way people live and work. Like salesforce.com, we see a very promising future for wearable technologies and are pleased to be working together to deliver solutions in this area."
Salesforce Wear Momentum
Announced earlier this year, Salesforce Wear included the Salesforce Wear Developer Pack to empower developers to accelerate their ability to connect companies with their customers through wearable apps. The Salesforce Wear Developer Pack provides enterprise developers with sample code, documentation, demonstrations and reference apps for a growing list of devices. Salesforce Wear already includes support for Android Wear, ARM, Fitbit, Google Glass, Myo from Thalmic, Nymi from Bionym, OMSignal, Pebble, Philips and Samsung Gear II.
Additional Salesforce Wear Device Support
Building on the success of the device ecosystem, today Salesforce Wear extends support for additional wearable devices, including:
- Epson Moverio – Smart glasses
- Jawbone UP – Fitness tracker
- Meta Glasses – 3D smart glasses
- Oculus Rift – Virtual reality headset for an immersive 3D experience
- Vuzix M100 Smart Glasses – Android based wearable computing, communications and display system
New Enterprise Apps Demonstrate the Power of Wearables
The Salesforce Wear app ecosystem is comprised of a growing number of ISV's that are rapidly developing apps on the Salesforce1 Platform for a variety of industries across multiple devices. Available today on the AppExchange, Salesforce Wear apps include:
- 2lemetry: With the connected SafetyCare wearable device, senior care patients can simply swipe across the screen of the wearable to request immediate assistance, allowing them to stay connected at home, and delivering rapid resolution to issues.
- Alpine Metrics: With Alpine Metrics' free app, Intelligent Forecasting, salespeople get instant access to important trends on their wearable device to better understand what's happening with their business and prioritize deals in real time.
- APX-Labs: Through the integration of the Skylight Platform, Salesforce Wear and several smart glass providers, APX-Labs is enabling field workers, such as telecom service technicians or utility workers, to quickly log a case in the Salesforce Service Cloud, all while they continue to work.
- Brivo Labs: Brivo Labs' identity access management application, NthID, works with Nymi's persistent identity authentication using a person's cardiac rhythm – a unique quality to every individual – to allow for safe, secure and easy access to both laptops and physical spaces.
- ClickSoftware: The ShiftExpert app from ClickSoftware works with devices such as the Samsung Gear II to enable employees to complete tasks such as clocking in and out, which are then automatically incorporated into timesheets.
- Etherios: Through a series of apps from Etherios, patients' health is monitored after leaving the hospital in real time through connected scales, blood pressure cuffs and pulse oximeters. Remote monitoring is enabling individuals to live healthier lives in the comfort of their own homes.
- FacialNetwork: Powered by FacialNetwork, the HospitalityID app provides customer service reps wearing smart glasses instant identification of guests. Through integration with Salesforce1, FacialNetwork can then access guest preferences helping users exceed customer expectations.
- Proximity Insight: Proximity Insight's app sends Android Wear notifications to staff when a VIP customer comes within range of their location, allowing them to create a personalized experience.
"By 2017, wearable devices will drive 50 percent of total mobile app interactions," wrote Roxane Edjlali, research director, Gartner in the "Adapt Your Information Infrastructure in the Age of Consumer-Centric Mobile Apps" report published May 6, 2014. "Mobile app data is often siloed, and IT leaders will find data from apps that use cloud-based information repositories even more diffuse."
Pricing & Availability
- Salesforce Wear Developer Pack is generally available and is included with all user licenses of Salesforce CRM and the Force.com Platform.
- The Salesforce Wear Developer Pack is available at http://developer.salesforce.com/wear
Salesforce.com is the world's largest provider of customer relationship management (CRM) software. For more information about salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), visit: www.salesforce.com.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase salesforce.com applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol "CRM." For more information please visit http://salesforce.com, or call 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE.
Salesforce.com Presentation at @ThingsExpo New York
A lot of people are heralding IoT as the future, but what can your business do today? Quite a lot, it turns out, if you know what to look for and how to talk about it.
Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Reid Carlberg, Senior Director at Salesforce.com, discussed business processes ripe for IoT style solutions and provide real-world examples in operation today. He also covered several fun ways to inspire your organization, share some lessons learned about solution development and offer several next steps designed to get you started. If you missed Reid's Internet of @ThingsExpo New York session, here are his presentation slides to learn how to kick start your company's IoT efforts into high gear.
Reid Carlberg hacks quadcopters, automates 3D printers and built the only hot sauce-inator in enterprise software today. As a Senior Director on the Developer Evangelism team at Salesforce.com, Reid helps developer communities around the world understand and work with the Salesforce1 Platform. Since joining the company, he has launched hundreds of new apps on the AppExchange as part of the Salesforce Labs program, taught thousands of developers about the Internet of Things at the Dreamforce 2013 Connected Device Lab and spoken about cloud app development around the world. Reid lives in Chicago.
2nd International Internet of @ThingsExpo will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara, California with over 100 major sponsors and exhibitors in 2014 and more than 6,000 delegates from 17 countries.
Internet of @ThingsExpo this week launched the premiere issue of its monthly newsletter which contains highlights of the hottest sessions and speakers from Internet of @ThingsExpo, speaking information as well as sponsorship opportunities.
Download @ThingsExpo Newsletter ▸ Here
Chris Matthieu Named Internet of @ThingsExpo Tech Chair
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley.
Chris Matthieu has two decades of telecom and web experience. He launched his Teleku cloud communications-as-a-service platform at eComm in 2010, which was acquired by Voxeo. Next he built an open source Node.JS PaaS called Nodester, which was acquired by AppFog. His new startup is Twelephone (http://twelephone.com). Leveraging HTML5 and WebRTC, Twelephone's BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) is to become the next generation telecom company running in the Web browser.
Tracks and topics for Internet of Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley will include:
Consumer IoT and Wearables Track
- Smart Appliances
- Smart Cars
- Smartphones 2.0
- Smart Travel
- Personal Fitness
- Health Care
- Personalized Marketing
- Customized Shopping
- Personal Finance
- The Digital Divide
- Mobile Cash & Markets
- Games & the IoT
- The Future of Education
- Virtual Reality
Video: @ThingsExpo power panel discussion at Internet of @ThingsExpo New York
Enterprise IoT Track
- The Business Case for IoT
- Smart Grids
- Smart Cities
- Smart Transportation
- The Smart Home
- Wiring the IoT
- The Internet of Everything
- Digital Transformation of Enterprise IT
- Local & State Government
- Federal Government
IoT Developer and WebRTC Track
- Eclipse Foundation
- Cloud Foundry
- Linux Containers
- Open Source Hardware
- AJAX and the IoT
- Leveraging SOA
- Multi-Cloud IoT
- Evolving Standards
- Security & Privacy Protocols
- GPS & Proximity Services
- Nest Labs
@ThingsExpo billboard is viewed by more than 1.3 million motorists per week on Highway 101, in the heart of Silicon Valley.
Sponsorship Opportunities or Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley
Internet of @ThingsExpo 2014 Silicon Valley "show prospectus" has shipped. Sponsorship, exhibit, and keynote opportunities can be obtained from Carmen Gonzalez by email at events (at) sys-con.com, or by phone 201 802-3021.
About SYS-CON Media & Events
SYS-CON Media (www.sys-con.com) has since 1994 been connecting technology companies and customers through a comprehensive content stream at www.sys-con.com - featuring over forty focused subject areas, from Cloud Computing to Web Security - interwoven with market-leading full-scale conferences produced by SYS-CON Events. The company's internationally recognized brands include among others Cloud Expo® (www.CloudComputingExpo.com), Big Data Expo (http://BigDataExpo.net), Virtualization Conference & Expo (www.VirtualizationConference.com), DevOps Summit (http://DevOpsSummit.sys-con.com), Internet of @ThingsExpo (http://www.ThingsExpo.com), SDDC Expo (http://SDDCExpo.sys-con.com), WebRTC Summit (http://WebRTCSummit.net), Government IT Conference & Expo (www.GovITExpo.com), Cloud Computing Bootcamp (www.CloudComputingBootcamp.com), and UlitzerLive! New Media Conference & Expo (http://events.sys-con.com).
Cloud Expo® is a registered trademark of Cloud Expo, Inc.
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Dec. 2, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,368
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Dec. 2, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,434
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Dec. 2, 2016 12:11 PM EST Reads: 141
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 2, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,823
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 2, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 126
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 2, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,450
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 2, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 3,737
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and G...
Dec. 2, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 1,842
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 2, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 393
"Qosmos has launched L7Viewer, a network traffic analysis tool, so it analyzes all the traffic between the virtual machine and the data center and the virtual machine and the external world," stated Sebastien Synold, Product Line Manager at Qosmos, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 2, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 393
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 2, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 1,590
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Dec. 2, 2016 10:30 AM EST Reads: 1,897
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 2, 2016 10:15 AM EST Reads: 2,020
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, discussed key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the age ...
Dec. 2, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,069
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 2, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 502
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Dec. 2, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 602
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, sha...
Dec. 2, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 691
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Dec. 2, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 2,108
Effectively SMBs and government programs must address compounded regulatory compliance requirements. The most recent are Controlled Unclassified Information and the EU's GDPR have Board Level implications. Managing sensitive data protection will likely result in acquisition criteria, demonstration requests and new requirements. Developers, as part of the pre-planning process and the associated supply chain, could benefit from updating their code libraries and design by incorporating changes. In...
Dec. 2, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 888
CloudJumper, a Workspace as a Service (WaaS) platform innovator for agile business IT, has been recognized with the Customer Value Leadership Award for its nWorkSpace platform by Frost & Sullivan. The company was also featured in a new report(1) by the industry research firm titled, “Desktop-as-a-Service Buyer’s Guide, 2016,” which provides a comprehensive comparison of DaaS providers, including CloudJumper, Amazon, VMware, and Microsoft.
Dec. 2, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 624