|By Anders Wallgren||
|March 8, 2016 04:30 PM EST||
DevSecOps: How DevOps and Automation Bolster Security, Compliance
DevOps bridges the gap between Development and Operations to accelerate software delivery and increase business agility and time-to-market. With its roots in the Agile movement, DevOps fosters collaboration between teams and streamlines processes, with the goal of breaking silos in order to "go fast."
Information Security (InfoSec) and compliance are critical to businesses across the globe, especially given past examples of data breaches and looming cybersecurity threats. InfoSec has long been thought of as the group that "slows things down" - the wet towel to your DevOps efforts - often requiring a more conservative approach as a means of mitigating risk. Traditionally, DevOps was viewed as a risk to InfoSec, with the increased velocity of software releases seen as a threat to governance and security/regulatory controls (these, by the way, often require the separation of duties, rather than the breaking of silos.)
Despite some initial pushbacks, enterprises that have taken the "DevOps plunge" have shown - consistently - that DevOps practices actually mitigate potential security problems, discover issues faster and address threats more quickly. This has led to InfoSec increasingly embracing automation and DevOps practices more and more, as the "security blanket" that enables - and enforces - security, compliance and auditability requirements. This makes DevOps a resource for InfoSec, rather than a threat.
As a philosophy, DevOps focuses on creating a culture and an environment where Dev, QA, Ops, the Business and other stakeholders in the organizations work in collaboration towards a shared goal. We now see DevOps evolving to DevSecOps - with InfoSec aligning with your DevOps initiative, and security requirements made a key tenant of your DevOps practices - and your DevOps benefits.
The Security Opportunity of DevOps
DevOps provides a huge opportunity for better security. Many of the practices that come with DevOps - such as automation, emphasis on testing, fast feedback loops, improved visibility, collaboration, consistent release practices, and more - are fertile ground for integrating security and auditability as a built-in component of your DevOps processes.
DevOps automation spans the entire pipeline- from code development, testing, to infrastructure configuration and deployment. When done right, DevOps enables you to:
- Secure from the start: Security can be integrated from the early stages of your DevOps processes, and not as an ‘afterthought' at the very end of the software delivery pipeline. It becomes a quality requirement - similar to other tests ran as part of your software delivery process. In a similar way to how CI enables "shifting left", accelerating testing and feedback loops to discover bugs earlier in the process and improve software quality, DevOps processes can incorporate automated security testing and compliance
- Secure, automatically: As more and more of your tests and processes are automated - you have less risk of introducing security flaws due to human error, your tests are more efficient and you can cover more ground, and your process is more consistent and predictable- so if something does break, it's easier to pin-point and fix.
- Secure throughout: By using tools that are shared across the different functions, or an end-to-end DevOps Automation platform that spans Development, Testing, Opsand Security - organizations gain visibility and control over the entire SDLC, making the automated pipeline a "closed loop" process for testing, reporting and resolving security concerns.
- Get everyone on the same page/pipeline: By integrating security tools and tests as part of the pipeline used by Dev and Ops to deploy their updates, InfoSec becomes a key component of the delivery pipeline, and an enabler of the entire process (rather than pointing fingers at the very end!)
- Fix things quickly: Unfortunately, the occasional security breach or vulnerability might come up - requiring you to act quickly to resolve the issue (think Heartbleed, for example.) DevOps accelerates your lead time - so that you can develop, test and deploy your patch/update more quickly. In addition, the meticulous tracking provided by some DevOps platforms into the state of all your applications, environments and pipeline stages greatly simplifies and accelerates your response when you need to release your update. When you can easily know exactly which version of the application, and all its components/stack, is deployed on which environment, you can quickly pin-point the component of the application that requires the update, identify the instances that require attention and quickly roll out your updates in a faster, consistent, and repeatable deployment process by triggering the appropriate workflow.
- Enable developers, while ensuring governance: DevOps emphasizes the streamlining of processes across the pipeline to have consistent development, testing and release practices. Your DevOps tools and automation can be configured to enable developers to be self-sufficient and "get things done", while automatically ensuring access controls and compliance. For example, as a resolution to the growing "shadow IT" phenomena, we see a lot of organizations establishing an internal DevOps service for a dev/test cloud - with shared repositories, workflows, deployment processes etc. This allows engineers on-demand access to infrastructure (including Production), while automatically enforcing access control, security measures, approval gates and configuration parameters - to avoid configuration drift or inconsistent processes. In addition, it ensures all instances across all environment - no matter whether in Development, QA or production - are identified, tracked, operating within pre-set guidelines, and can be monitored and managed by IT.
- Secure both the code, and the environments: By creating manageable systems that are consistent, traceable and repeatable you ensure that your environment is reproducible, traceable and that you know who accessed it and when.
- Enable 1-click compliance reporting: Automated processes come with the extra benefits of being consistent, repeatable, with predictable outcomes for similar actions/tests, and they can be automatically logged and documented. Since DevOps spans your entire pipeline, it can provides traceability into traceability from code change to release. If you have a DevOps system system you can rely on, auditing becomes much easier. As you're automating things - from your build, test cycles, integration cycles, deployment and release processes - your DevOps automation platform has access to a ton of information that is automatically logged in great detail. That, in effect, becomes your audit-trail, your security log, and your compliance report - all produced automatically, with no manual intervention or you having to spend hours backtracking your processes or actions in order to produce the report.
DevSecOps is enables organizations to achieving speed without risking stability and governance. Security and compliance controls should be baked-in as an integral part of your DevOps processes that manage the code being developed all the way through to Production. By implementing DevOps processes that incorporate security practices from the start you create an effective and viable security layer for your applications and environments that will serve as a solid foundation to ensure security and compliance in the long run, in a more streamlined, efficient and proactive way.
Want to learn more on how to get Security and DevOps right?
On one of our Continuous Discussions (#c9d9) podcasts I had the honor of speaking with two industry veterans, among them James DeLuccia who wrote a book on "IT Compliance and Controls: Best Practices for Implementation" on how to bake-in security into your DevOps processes, and how DevOps and automation can essentially help you pass your next audit.
Watch the video of the episode here:
This article first appeared on Tech Beacon
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 23, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 709
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Mar. 23, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,905
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 23, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,580
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Mar. 23, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,147
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 23, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 850
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 23, 2017 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,431
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 23, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,198
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 23, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,993
"Peak 10 is a national cloud data center solutions managed services provider, and part of that is disaster recovery. We see a growing trend in the industry where companies are coming to us looking for assistance in their DR strategy," stated Andrew Cole, Director of Solutions Engineering at Peak 10, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 23, 2017 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 8,067
The essence of cloud computing is that all consumable IT resources are delivered as services. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, demonstrated the concepts and implementations of two important cloud computing deliveries: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). He discussed from business and technical viewpoints what exactly they are, why we care, how they are different and in what ways, and the strategies for IT to transi...
Mar. 23, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,667
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership abi...
Mar. 23, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 10,469
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 23, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 924
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,908
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 11,104
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,267
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you ...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,649
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 23, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,297
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Mar. 22, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,946
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,254
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,246