|By Vasil Kadifeli||
|March 18, 2009 04:45 PM EDT||
I thought it could be a good idea to provide you with a detailed excursion plan if you ever decide to visit Rhodes island, the largest of the Dodecanese islands group in Greece. This is actually the route I followed in Sept 2007 when I visited the island.
The programme below is a 10 day itinerary, including your arrival and departure days, which you may follow while you will be visiting Rhodes island. You can customize the programme to your own taste and time table. In some future articles I will be explaining to you in detail some of the wonderful places at Rhodes island.
Day 1. Arrival day. After you get your hotel room it is time to reserve your tickets for the nearby islands Symi and possibly Tilos. Then arrange with a rent a car company for some small car which you will use in your excursion. In the evening stroll on the streets of Rhodes' old town and have some nice dinner at a small tavern in one of those streets.
Day 2. If on day one you were able to reserve a ticket to some catamaran for a daily excursion to the nearby lovely Symi island go for it and enjoy your journey.
Day 3. If it is possible do the same for Tilos island, which is the next island after Symi northwards. It's very probable that you will not be here once again, so do not miss the chance. I wasn't lucky enough so I couldn't visit Tylos island.
Day 4. Early in the morning go fetch your car and start your excursion of the island's northwestern quarter.
- Your first stop will definitely be at Petaloudes or Butterflies valley, so watch the sign and turn to the left.
- Park at the Petaloudes valley entrance and climb all the way up in the valley untill Moni (monastery) Kalopetras. Read the story of the small church while having some Greek coffee there in the yard of the chuch and enjoy the views. Then walk all the way down to fetch your car.
- Drive up from the same road to the serene Psinthos village, walk around and rest at the village square, there is some small pond where you can find one or two restaurants around it to lunch.
- Then drive back down to the main road and visit the Kamiros ancient place if you want.
- A little later you will see a sign left to Salakos village, so turn and drive up to the village. Here there is another valley of petaloudes where you may have a short walk on the signposted track.
- Continue driving up to the peak of Mt Profitis Ilias, and have some desert or coffee at Elafos hotel or the nearby Elafaki cafe.
- Drive back down to the main road again and a little further you will reach the Kamiros Skala a small port where you may have the possibility to find some boat to Halki island but for this you will need an extra day.
- Stay at Kamiros Skala, but beware that there are very few places here. We stayed at Lyros Hotel, which was a good choice and I recommend this small hotel strongly.
- If you have time drive with your car to the nearby Kopria beach for a short swim.
Day 5. Start early in the morning as you will be visiting the south western quarter of Rhodes island
- On the main road a little further visit the nearby Kastellos castle and watch over the lovely sea views towards the Halki island.
- Then turn left and drive up to the wonderful whitewashed Kritinia village, have your morning coffee there at some traditional kafeneion (coffee shop) looking over to some nice views.
- Continue with your car and drive up to Embonas village where you can get your wines and tsipouro if you like it.
- After Embonas continue to the south and you will be again on the main road. At your left is Mt Attaviros the highest mountain of the island.
- If you see a sign to Ag Isidoros (St Isidoros) village, turn left and have a short stop there for some cold drink. Ag Isidoros is some unspoiled and peaceful village and you will not regret your visit.
- Drive back to the main road and shortly you will arrive at Siana village. Here there will probably a lot of tourist busses. Find a place to park and visit the large church and the shop nearby the church where you can taste and buy tsipouro (souma), olive oil, wines, honey etc.
- Very close to Siana village is the Castle of Monolithos, drive there and climb up the stairs to the Castle of Monolithos for some lovely views.
- On the main road you'll filnd Apollakia village where you can have some late lunch. After Apollakia starts the most deserted part of the island.
- A little further there is a turn to the left, that climbs up to Moni Skiadi. Drive to the monastery for its wonderful church with the frescoes, its famous icon, and the serene place with nice views.
- Drive up to Kattavia village and find a room to stay there for the night. If you have time drive 10 kms down to Prassonisi Beach where you can swim and even wind surf. You will not regret it especially if it is weekend and is very crowded.
- You may dine in one restaurant at Prassonisi Beach or at some street tavern at Kattavia village.
Day 6. Start early for your excursion of the south eastern part of the island.
- Your first stop may be Genadi village, walk on the lovely streets, have something to eat from a fournos (bakery) and have a coffee at some local cafe.
- Continue on the main road and when you see the sign post for Asklepion village turn left visit the church in the main square, and this little traditional village and have a cold drink at some traditional kafeneion. If you want you may climb up to the Asklepion's Castle as well.
- Drive back to the main road and after some time you'ill reach Kiotari village, a little further there is a way up to the mountains for Moni Ag Ipseni
- Drive further inland, you will pass Laerma village and reach Moni Thari where there is a lovely spring.
- Drive back to the main road and you will shortly reach the crowded touristic villages of Lardos and Pefki.
- Then you are at the second touristic place on the island, Lindos village. Leave your car on the free parking place on the main road and walk down to the village. Walk thru the souvenir shops and climb the stairs up to the Acropolis. You may also rent a donkey which may take you up to the Acropolis.
- After Lindos there is Haraki beach, where hopefully you can find some room to stay. There are plenty of traditional taverns, pizzerias and restaurants where you can have your dinner. It has a lovely beach but I recommend to you a morning bath.
Day 7. This is the last quarter of the island and your last day of your excursion by car.
- Nearby Haraki beach is the Castle of Faraklos. Just drive there to see it from the outside as there is nothing interesting inside.
- Then come the villages of Agathi, Archangelos and the Stegna Beach, where you may swim.
- Just after Stegna beach you will see a sign on the right to Moni Tsambika, a monastery on a high rock. There is a dirty way for your car to drive up to some certain point, but then there are plenty of steps to this tiny monastery. There is nothing special up on the monastery but you will find some great views once you climb up there.
- Then there is Tsambika Beach another place to swim.
- After some time you will see the turn left to Epta Piges, or seven springs, where you can have a coffee and if you are brave enough to walk thru the underground irigation tunnel.
- If you go further in lands you will come to Eleousa village, Platania village and then you'll find yourself at the Church of Ag Nikolaos Foundouklis, which is a very small and very old church, but worth the visit. This place is very close to Elafos hotel you have been two days ago. Both places are on the Mt Profitis Ilias.
- Then go back to the main road and you will come to Afantos beach and village, Faliraki beach, and then to Kalithea spas and beach. It may be a good idea to buy a ticket and visit the derelict spas, a building from the second world war.
- Shortly after Kalşthea spas you will reach Rhodes city and you have finished touring the island. Deliver your car to the office you rented it and rest a few hours at your hotel room. In the evening once again you will be strolling on the old streets of the old city and possibly dine at some lovely tavern.
Day 9. Today its time to visit the old city once again but this time in day light and also visit the museums .
Day 10. Your departure day.
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 30, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,240
Deep learning has been very successful in social sciences and specially areas where there is a lot of data. Trading is another field that can be viewed as social science with a lot of data. With the advent of Deep Learning and Big Data technologies for efficient computation, we are finally able to use the same methods in investment management as we would in face recognition or in making chat-bots. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Gaurav Chakravorty, co-founder and Head of Strategy Development ...
Mar. 30, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,037
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 30, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,522
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 30, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,388
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 30, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,419
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 30, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,427
SYS-CON Events announced today that StorageCraft Technology Corp, a global leader in backup and disaster, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The StorageCraft family of companies, founded in 2003, provides award-winning backup, disaster recovery, system migration and data protection solutions for servers, desktops and laptops in addition to powerful data analytics.
Mar. 30, 2017 03:17 PM EDT Reads: 293
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,507
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and attent...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,054
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 30, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,034
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Mar. 30, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,035
HyperConvergence came to market with the objective of being simple, flexible and to help drive down operating expenses. It reduced the footprint by bundling the compute/storage/network into one box. This brought a new set of challenges as the HyperConverged vendors are very focused on their own proprietary building blocks. If you want to scale in a certain way, let’s say you identified a need for more storage and want to add a device that is not sold by the HyperConverged vendor, forget about it...
Mar. 30, 2017 01:58 PM EDT Reads: 261
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 30, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,923
FinTech is the sum of financial and technology, and it’s one of the fastest growing tech industries. Total global investments in FinTech almost reached $50 billion last year, but there is still a great deal of confusion over what it is and what it means – especially as it applies to retirement. Building financial startups is not simple, but with the right team, technology and an innovative approach it can be an extremely interesting domain to disrupt. FinTech heralds a financial revolution that...
Mar. 30, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,228
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 30, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,450
Imagine having the ability to leverage all of your current technology and to be able to compose it into one resource pool. Now imagine, as your business grows, not having to deploy a complete new appliance to scale your infrastructure. Also imagine a true multi-cloud capability that allows live migration without any modification between cloud environments regardless of whether that cloud is your private cloud or your public AWS, Azure or Google instance. Now think of a world that is not locked i...
Mar. 30, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,090
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 30, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,767
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 30, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,708
Historically, some banking activities such as trading have been relying heavily on analytics and cutting edge algorithmic tools. The coming of age of powerful data analytics solutions combined with the development of intelligent algorithms have created new opportunities for financial institutions. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sebastien Meunier, Head of Digital for North America at Chappuis Halder & Co., will discuss how these tools can be leveraged to develop a lasting competitive advanta...
Mar. 30, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,042
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 30, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,982