|By Vasil Kadifeli||
|March 18, 2009 04:45 PM EDT||
I thought it could be a good idea to provide you with a detailed excursion plan if you ever decide to visit Rhodes island, the largest of the Dodecanese islands group in Greece. This is actually the route I followed in Sept 2007 when I visited the island.
The programme below is a 10 day itinerary, including your arrival and departure days, which you may follow while you will be visiting Rhodes island. You can customize the programme to your own taste and time table. In some future articles I will be explaining to you in detail some of the wonderful places at Rhodes island.
Day 1. Arrival day. After you get your hotel room it is time to reserve your tickets for the nearby islands Symi and possibly Tilos. Then arrange with a rent a car company for some small car which you will use in your excursion. In the evening stroll on the streets of Rhodes' old town and have some nice dinner at a small tavern in one of those streets.
Day 2. If on day one you were able to reserve a ticket to some catamaran for a daily excursion to the nearby lovely Symi island go for it and enjoy your journey.
Day 3. If it is possible do the same for Tilos island, which is the next island after Symi northwards. It's very probable that you will not be here once again, so do not miss the chance. I wasn't lucky enough so I couldn't visit Tylos island.
Day 4. Early in the morning go fetch your car and start your excursion of the island's northwestern quarter.
- Your first stop will definitely be at Petaloudes or Butterflies valley, so watch the sign and turn to the left.
- Park at the Petaloudes valley entrance and climb all the way up in the valley untill Moni (monastery) Kalopetras. Read the story of the small church while having some Greek coffee there in the yard of the chuch and enjoy the views. Then walk all the way down to fetch your car.
- Drive up from the same road to the serene Psinthos village, walk around and rest at the village square, there is some small pond where you can find one or two restaurants around it to lunch.
- Then drive back down to the main road and visit the Kamiros ancient place if you want.
- A little later you will see a sign left to Salakos village, so turn and drive up to the village. Here there is another valley of petaloudes where you may have a short walk on the signposted track.
- Continue driving up to the peak of Mt Profitis Ilias, and have some desert or coffee at Elafos hotel or the nearby Elafaki cafe.
- Drive back down to the main road again and a little further you will reach the Kamiros Skala a small port where you may have the possibility to find some boat to Halki island but for this you will need an extra day.
- Stay at Kamiros Skala, but beware that there are very few places here. We stayed at Lyros Hotel, which was a good choice and I recommend this small hotel strongly.
- If you have time drive with your car to the nearby Kopria beach for a short swim.
Day 5. Start early in the morning as you will be visiting the south western quarter of Rhodes island
- On the main road a little further visit the nearby Kastellos castle and watch over the lovely sea views towards the Halki island.
- Then turn left and drive up to the wonderful whitewashed Kritinia village, have your morning coffee there at some traditional kafeneion (coffee shop) looking over to some nice views.
- Continue with your car and drive up to Embonas village where you can get your wines and tsipouro if you like it.
- After Embonas continue to the south and you will be again on the main road. At your left is Mt Attaviros the highest mountain of the island.
- If you see a sign to Ag Isidoros (St Isidoros) village, turn left and have a short stop there for some cold drink. Ag Isidoros is some unspoiled and peaceful village and you will not regret your visit.
- Drive back to the main road and shortly you will arrive at Siana village. Here there will probably a lot of tourist busses. Find a place to park and visit the large church and the shop nearby the church where you can taste and buy tsipouro (souma), olive oil, wines, honey etc.
- Very close to Siana village is the Castle of Monolithos, drive there and climb up the stairs to the Castle of Monolithos for some lovely views.
- On the main road you'll filnd Apollakia village where you can have some late lunch. After Apollakia starts the most deserted part of the island.
- A little further there is a turn to the left, that climbs up to Moni Skiadi. Drive to the monastery for its wonderful church with the frescoes, its famous icon, and the serene place with nice views.
- Drive up to Kattavia village and find a room to stay there for the night. If you have time drive 10 kms down to Prassonisi Beach where you can swim and even wind surf. You will not regret it especially if it is weekend and is very crowded.
- You may dine in one restaurant at Prassonisi Beach or at some street tavern at Kattavia village.
Day 6. Start early for your excursion of the south eastern part of the island.
- Your first stop may be Genadi village, walk on the lovely streets, have something to eat from a fournos (bakery) and have a coffee at some local cafe.
- Continue on the main road and when you see the sign post for Asklepion village turn left visit the church in the main square, and this little traditional village and have a cold drink at some traditional kafeneion. If you want you may climb up to the Asklepion's Castle as well.
- Drive back to the main road and after some time you'ill reach Kiotari village, a little further there is a way up to the mountains for Moni Ag Ipseni
- Drive further inland, you will pass Laerma village and reach Moni Thari where there is a lovely spring.
- Drive back to the main road and you will shortly reach the crowded touristic villages of Lardos and Pefki.
- Then you are at the second touristic place on the island, Lindos village. Leave your car on the free parking place on the main road and walk down to the village. Walk thru the souvenir shops and climb the stairs up to the Acropolis. You may also rent a donkey which may take you up to the Acropolis.
- After Lindos there is Haraki beach, where hopefully you can find some room to stay. There are plenty of traditional taverns, pizzerias and restaurants where you can have your dinner. It has a lovely beach but I recommend to you a morning bath.
Day 7. This is the last quarter of the island and your last day of your excursion by car.
- Nearby Haraki beach is the Castle of Faraklos. Just drive there to see it from the outside as there is nothing interesting inside.
- Then come the villages of Agathi, Archangelos and the Stegna Beach, where you may swim.
- Just after Stegna beach you will see a sign on the right to Moni Tsambika, a monastery on a high rock. There is a dirty way for your car to drive up to some certain point, but then there are plenty of steps to this tiny monastery. There is nothing special up on the monastery but you will find some great views once you climb up there.
- Then there is Tsambika Beach another place to swim.
- After some time you will see the turn left to Epta Piges, or seven springs, where you can have a coffee and if you are brave enough to walk thru the underground irigation tunnel.
- If you go further in lands you will come to Eleousa village, Platania village and then you'll find yourself at the Church of Ag Nikolaos Foundouklis, which is a very small and very old church, but worth the visit. This place is very close to Elafos hotel you have been two days ago. Both places are on the Mt Profitis Ilias.
- Then go back to the main road and you will come to Afantos beach and village, Faliraki beach, and then to Kalithea spas and beach. It may be a good idea to buy a ticket and visit the derelict spas, a building from the second world war.
- Shortly after Kalşthea spas you will reach Rhodes city and you have finished touring the island. Deliver your car to the office you rented it and rest a few hours at your hotel room. In the evening once again you will be strolling on the old streets of the old city and possibly dine at some lovely tavern.
Day 9. Today its time to visit the old city once again but this time in day light and also visit the museums .
Day 10. Your departure day.
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,396
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,015
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,026
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,602
So you think you are a DevOps warrior, huh? Put your money (not really, it’s free) where your metrics are and prove it by taking The Ultimate DevOps Geek Quiz Challenge, sponsored by DevOps Summit. Battle through the set of tough questions created by industry thought leaders to earn your bragging rights and win some cool prizes.
Oct. 25, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,056
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 24, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,981
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,850
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,014
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,375
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,042
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,346
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,614
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 24, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,063
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 24, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,181
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 24, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,793
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,513
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,912
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,648
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 24, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,581
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,378