|By Vasil Kadifeli||
|March 18, 2009 04:45 PM EDT||
I thought it could be a good idea to provide you with a detailed excursion plan if you ever decide to visit Rhodes island, the largest of the Dodecanese islands group in Greece. This is actually the route I followed in Sept 2007 when I visited the island.
The programme below is a 10 day itinerary, including your arrival and departure days, which you may follow while you will be visiting Rhodes island. You can customize the programme to your own taste and time table. In some future articles I will be explaining to you in detail some of the wonderful places at Rhodes island.
Day 1. Arrival day. After you get your hotel room it is time to reserve your tickets for the nearby islands Symi and possibly Tilos. Then arrange with a rent a car company for some small car which you will use in your excursion. In the evening stroll on the streets of Rhodes' old town and have some nice dinner at a small tavern in one of those streets.
Day 2. If on day one you were able to reserve a ticket to some catamaran for a daily excursion to the nearby lovely Symi island go for it and enjoy your journey.
Day 3. If it is possible do the same for Tilos island, which is the next island after Symi northwards. It's very probable that you will not be here once again, so do not miss the chance. I wasn't lucky enough so I couldn't visit Tylos island.
Day 4. Early in the morning go fetch your car and start your excursion of the island's northwestern quarter.
- Your first stop will definitely be at Petaloudes or Butterflies valley, so watch the sign and turn to the left.
- Park at the Petaloudes valley entrance and climb all the way up in the valley untill Moni (monastery) Kalopetras. Read the story of the small church while having some Greek coffee there in the yard of the chuch and enjoy the views. Then walk all the way down to fetch your car.
- Drive up from the same road to the serene Psinthos village, walk around and rest at the village square, there is some small pond where you can find one or two restaurants around it to lunch.
- Then drive back down to the main road and visit the Kamiros ancient place if you want.
- A little later you will see a sign left to Salakos village, so turn and drive up to the village. Here there is another valley of petaloudes where you may have a short walk on the signposted track.
- Continue driving up to the peak of Mt Profitis Ilias, and have some desert or coffee at Elafos hotel or the nearby Elafaki cafe.
- Drive back down to the main road again and a little further you will reach the Kamiros Skala a small port where you may have the possibility to find some boat to Halki island but for this you will need an extra day.
- Stay at Kamiros Skala, but beware that there are very few places here. We stayed at Lyros Hotel, which was a good choice and I recommend this small hotel strongly.
- If you have time drive with your car to the nearby Kopria beach for a short swim.
Day 5. Start early in the morning as you will be visiting the south western quarter of Rhodes island
- On the main road a little further visit the nearby Kastellos castle and watch over the lovely sea views towards the Halki island.
- Then turn left and drive up to the wonderful whitewashed Kritinia village, have your morning coffee there at some traditional kafeneion (coffee shop) looking over to some nice views.
- Continue with your car and drive up to Embonas village where you can get your wines and tsipouro if you like it.
- After Embonas continue to the south and you will be again on the main road. At your left is Mt Attaviros the highest mountain of the island.
- If you see a sign to Ag Isidoros (St Isidoros) village, turn left and have a short stop there for some cold drink. Ag Isidoros is some unspoiled and peaceful village and you will not regret your visit.
- Drive back to the main road and shortly you will arrive at Siana village. Here there will probably a lot of tourist busses. Find a place to park and visit the large church and the shop nearby the church where you can taste and buy tsipouro (souma), olive oil, wines, honey etc.
- Very close to Siana village is the Castle of Monolithos, drive there and climb up the stairs to the Castle of Monolithos for some lovely views.
- On the main road you'll filnd Apollakia village where you can have some late lunch. After Apollakia starts the most deserted part of the island.
- A little further there is a turn to the left, that climbs up to Moni Skiadi. Drive to the monastery for its wonderful church with the frescoes, its famous icon, and the serene place with nice views.
- Drive up to Kattavia village and find a room to stay there for the night. If you have time drive 10 kms down to Prassonisi Beach where you can swim and even wind surf. You will not regret it especially if it is weekend and is very crowded.
- You may dine in one restaurant at Prassonisi Beach or at some street tavern at Kattavia village.
Day 6. Start early for your excursion of the south eastern part of the island.
- Your first stop may be Genadi village, walk on the lovely streets, have something to eat from a fournos (bakery) and have a coffee at some local cafe.
- Continue on the main road and when you see the sign post for Asklepion village turn left visit the church in the main square, and this little traditional village and have a cold drink at some traditional kafeneion. If you want you may climb up to the Asklepion's Castle as well.
- Drive back to the main road and after some time you'ill reach Kiotari village, a little further there is a way up to the mountains for Moni Ag Ipseni
- Drive further inland, you will pass Laerma village and reach Moni Thari where there is a lovely spring.
- Drive back to the main road and you will shortly reach the crowded touristic villages of Lardos and Pefki.
- Then you are at the second touristic place on the island, Lindos village. Leave your car on the free parking place on the main road and walk down to the village. Walk thru the souvenir shops and climb the stairs up to the Acropolis. You may also rent a donkey which may take you up to the Acropolis.
- After Lindos there is Haraki beach, where hopefully you can find some room to stay. There are plenty of traditional taverns, pizzerias and restaurants where you can have your dinner. It has a lovely beach but I recommend to you a morning bath.
Day 7. This is the last quarter of the island and your last day of your excursion by car.
- Nearby Haraki beach is the Castle of Faraklos. Just drive there to see it from the outside as there is nothing interesting inside.
- Then come the villages of Agathi, Archangelos and the Stegna Beach, where you may swim.
- Just after Stegna beach you will see a sign on the right to Moni Tsambika, a monastery on a high rock. There is a dirty way for your car to drive up to some certain point, but then there are plenty of steps to this tiny monastery. There is nothing special up on the monastery but you will find some great views once you climb up there.
- Then there is Tsambika Beach another place to swim.
- After some time you will see the turn left to Epta Piges, or seven springs, where you can have a coffee and if you are brave enough to walk thru the underground irigation tunnel.
- If you go further in lands you will come to Eleousa village, Platania village and then you'll find yourself at the Church of Ag Nikolaos Foundouklis, which is a very small and very old church, but worth the visit. This place is very close to Elafos hotel you have been two days ago. Both places are on the Mt Profitis Ilias.
- Then go back to the main road and you will come to Afantos beach and village, Faliraki beach, and then to Kalithea spas and beach. It may be a good idea to buy a ticket and visit the derelict spas, a building from the second world war.
- Shortly after Kalşthea spas you will reach Rhodes city and you have finished touring the island. Deliver your car to the office you rented it and rest a few hours at your hotel room. In the evening once again you will be strolling on the old streets of the old city and possibly dine at some lovely tavern.
Day 9. Today its time to visit the old city once again but this time in day light and also visit the museums .
Day 10. Your departure day.
WHOA.com has announced the newest addition to its data center footprint with the expansion into Equinix's newest state-of-the-art facility: DC-11 Washington, DC IBX+. Located in Ashburn, VA, this data center expands Whoa.com's presence to meet rapidly expanding customer demand for secure cloud solutions. Equinix, Inc. operates International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in 32 markets across 15 countries in the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. Equinix is committed to operating faciliti...
Mar. 29, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,082
SYS-CON Events announced today that FierceDevOps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FierceDevOps keeps software developers and IT operations personnel updated on the latest news and trends around the rapidly evolving role of the traditional IT worker.
Mar. 29, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,397
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabili...
Mar. 29, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,428
Hosted PaaS providers have given independent developers and startups huge advantages in efficiency and reduced time-to-market over their more process-bound counterparts in enterprises. Software frameworks are now available that allow enterprise IT departments to provide these same advantages for developers in their own organization. In his workshop session at DevOps Summit, Troy Topnik, ActiveState’s Technical Product Manager, will show how on-prem or cloud-hosted Private PaaS can enable organ...
Mar. 28, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,126
The WebRTC Summit 2014 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 28, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,518
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 28, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,766
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborat...
Mar. 28, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,171
WSM International is launching a DevOps services division that offers assessment, consulting and implementation to large enterprises and organizations with complex infrastructures. This is the first independent services company to create a dedicated practice to help organizations looking to transition to the DevOps model. The concept of DevOps is to blend information technology (IT) software development with operations to optimize the computing infrastructure according to the specific needs of ...
Mar. 28, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,489
SYS-CON Events announced today that the DevOps Institute has been named “Association Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The DevOps Institute provides enterprise level training and certification. Working with thought leaders from the DevOps community, the IT Service Management field and the IT training market, the DevOps Institute is setting the standard in quality for DevOps education and training.
Mar. 28, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 997
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,440
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things...
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,798
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Mar. 28, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,064
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,406
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a “Make or Buy” decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud busi...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,300
SYS-CON Events announced today that Akana, formerly SOA Software, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Akana’s comprehensive suite of API Management, API Security, Integrated SOA Governance, and Cloud Integration solutions helps businesses accelerate digital transformation by securely extending their reach across multiple channels – mobile, cloud and Internet of Thi...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,510
Businesses are looking to empower employees and departments to do more, go faster, and streamline their processes. For all workers – but mobile workers especially – utilizing the cloud to reconnect documents and improve processes without destructing existing workflows can have a dramatic impact on productivity. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Mark Grilli, vice president of Acrobat Solutions marketing at Adobe Systems Incorporated, will outline new ways that the cloud is changing the way peo...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,278
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,149
Are your applications getting in the way of your business strategy? It’s time to rethink your IT approach. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Madhukar Kumar, Vice President, Product Management at Liaison Technologies, will discuss a new data-centric approach to IT that allows your data, not applications, to inform business strategy. By moving away from an application-centric IT model where data integration and analysis are subservient to the constraints of applications, your organization will b...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,513
SYS-CON Events announced today that WSM International (WSM), the world’s leading cloud and server migration services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WSM is a solutions integrator with a core focus on cloud and server migration, transformation and DevOps services.
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,214
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make sm...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,415